So on the fence.....MKA 1919 or Saiga.

Thank you and I know things will role out to the market soon. I think it is a good choice though.

When I get it, what ammo should I shoot first?

My buddy with the reliable 1919 digests anything we've fed it. It seems "sluggish" with light loads and he says at first the wally world stuff caused some jamming, but after some break in it handles it fine, though a little tweeking might be good.

My buddy with the jam-o-matic 1919 is experiencing problems regardless of ammo choice. I have reccomended that he open it up and give it a good cleaning and inspection but he seems inclined to just keep shooting it and whining so improvement is not likely. (I strongly suspect it is some minor issue)

I would probably start with some quality high brass but I'd bring along some light stuff to see how it handles it right out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a manager at a gun store and we had a 1919. That thing looked and felt like such a plastic piece of crap. I dumped it on gunbroker after it sat around for a while. Anyway, I picked up a S12 yesterday. Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but they are way over priced for a plastic Turkish shotgun

I am a manager at a gun store and we had a 1919. That thing looked and felt like such a plastic piece of crap. I dumped it on gunbroker after it sat around for a while. Anyway, I picked up a S12 yesterday. Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but they are way over priced for a plastic Turkish shotgun

Saying it feels like a "plastic piece of crap" is a little harsh. I prefer to think of it as what would happen if you made a 12 gauge zip-gun out of a super soaker, and hey, super soakers are great squirt guns.

So your a manager and that makes you an expert eh?? Know how many times I have literaly laughed out loud at some of the lack of knowledge from gun shop employee's, owners and coffe slurpin fat guys who hang out at shops but are rarely seen at the range?? Gun shop comandos are a hoot.

Edited by Jasper

So your a manager and that makes you an expert eh?? Know how many times I have literaly laughed out loud at some of the lack of knowledge from gun shop employee's, owners and coffe slurpin fat guys who hang out at shops but are rarely seen at the range?? Gun shop comandos are a hoot.

Sorry I offended you, but we're all shooters at my store. We were not impressed by the Akdal. We all have Saigas, though (this one is my second). And, yes, I am an expert.

Sorry I offended you, but we're all shooters at my store. We were not impressed by the Akdal. We all have Saigas, though (this one is my second). And, yes, I am an expert.

Sure your an expert. You can tell how a gun shoots just by laying hands on it. I bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn as well. Im not offended. Im amused.

The guy who serves me fries is a chef and the guy who changes my oil is a engineer. wink.png

Edited by Jasper

Sure your an expert. You can tell how a gun shoots just by laying hands on it. I bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn as well. Im not offended. Im amused.

The guy who serves me fries is a chef and the guy who changes my oil is a engineer. wink.png

Holy crap! I wanna live in your town!

The gal who serves me fries was working outside the place as a street whore last week (and I'm guessing she may be back to it if she keeps skimming off fries). You wouldn't generally think of "fast food worker" as a skilled proffesion until you see someone do it really badly, scratching her crabs one minute, then stealing fries out of my order the next, agreed the 16 yo manager instituted a "fry accounting procedure" but the man they have counting them is pretty profoundly mentally deficient, I mean, he has to wear a helmet and can't manage zipper pants or shoe laces so I really doubt the veracity of his count. Especially because he shouts "NINETEENY ELEVEN" the whole time he counts my fries (about 3 minutes) and I swear I saw him sneaking one himself the other day, I'm not even sure "nineteeny eleven" is a real number as last time my extra large order of fries had only 6 fries when it got to me and by then they were cold.

As to the guy who changes my oil, he's this strangely intense fellow with neck tattoos who works at the local Super Quick Oil and Taco Hut. My brother says he's an ex-con but I don't think so because he has these little teardrops tattooed on his cheek and I'm pretty damned sure you can't show that sort of emotional vulnerability in prison. I'm guessing he's a clown on the side, bit a sad clown. What he definitely is not is an engineer. He put antifreeeze in my transmission last month and twice he's forgotten to put an oil filter on after taking the old one off. He does seem good with his hands because he has this screwdriver he's sharpened into a spike that he is always playing with.

The only thing we do have going for us here is that our local gun store is run by an expert. He's a soft spoken Vet who competes in local skeet, three gun and even some cowboy action stuff. He's usually got a project on the counter he's working on, last year he lovingly restored an old parker & Hale damascus barreled SS shotgun, recently he's been putting together an AR10 with a piston system and a bull barrel as big around as a closet dowel. The man never toots his own horn, but he can quote the SAAMI pressure of any round I've ever asked about.

• Like 1

Maybe the professional doesn't like the way the gun feels so he dreams it bad. I don't like sushi because it looks gross, but that doesn't mean that it is. If he put it through rigorous testing and put hours behind his conclusion, then based off his professional experience, I'd say his opinion matters. Other than that, simply picking it up and say the gun sucks disqualifies his professional opinion.

• Like 1

Maybe the professional doesn't like the way the gun feels so he dreams it bad. I don't like sushi because it looks gross, but that doesn't mean that it is. If he put it through rigorous testing and put hours behind his conclusion, then based off his professional experience, I'd say his opinion matters. Other than that, simply picking it up and say the gun sucks disqualifies his professional opinion.

I didn't like the way the Akdal felt handling and shooting it, the same way I didn't like the way the AA12 felt. But I'm not ready to disregard a weapon because I didn't like the feel in stock form. I didn't like the way S12s feel stock either and if I hadn't handled a converted one I never would have bought one.

Folks here will do great things with the Akdal, it has only just started. I am confident we will see Akdals virtually unrecognizable in a appearance, feel, and function from these first imports.

• Like 1

The gal who serves me fries was working outside the place as a street whore last week (and I'm guessing she may be back to it if she keeps skimming off fries). You wouldn't generally think of "fast food worker" as a skilled proffesion until you see someone do it really badly, scratching her crabs one minute, then stealing fries out of my order the next, agreed the 16 yo manager instituted a "fry accounting procedure" but the man they have counting them is pretty profoundly mentally deficient, I mean, he has to wear a helmet and can't manage zipper pants or shoe laces so I really doubt the veracity of his count. Especially because he shouts "NINETEENY ELEVEN" the whole time he counts my fries (about 3 minutes) and I swear I saw him sneaking one himself the other day, I'm not even sure "nineteeny eleven" is a real number as last time my extra large order of fries had only 6 fries when it got to me and by then they were cold.

As to the guy who changes my oil, he's this strangely intense fellow with neck tattoos who works at the local Super Quick Oil and Taco Hut. My brother says he's an ex-con but I don't think so because he has these little teardrops tattooed on his cheek and I'm pretty damned sure you can't show that sort of emotional vulnerability in prison. I'm guessing he's a clown on the side, bit a sad clown. What he definitely is not is an engineer. He put antifreeeze in my transmission last month and twice he's forgotten to put an oil filter on after taking the old one off. He does seem good with his hands because he has this screwdriver he's sharpened into a spike that he is always playing with.

The only thing we do have going for us here is that our local gun store is run by an expert. He's a soft spoken Vet who competes in local skeet, three gun and even some cowboy action stuff. He's usually got a project on the counter he's working on, last year he lovingly restored an old parker & Hale damascus barreled SS shotgun, recently he's been putting together an AR10 with a piston system and a bull barrel as big around as a closet dowel. The man never toots his own horn, but he can quote the SAAMI pressure of any round I've ever asked about.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion most real experts wont toot their own horn and are very modest. Then there is the other end of the spectrum.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion most real experts wont toot their own horn and are very modest. Then there is the other end of the spectrum.

Nah, I said that because pf what he said. He got all huffy when I threw in my $.02, so I responded. Seems he is insecure in his decision. Don't get me wrong, I like the 1919 well enough, especially given what you can do to one, but I think it feels like a plastic piece of crap, and no way in hell am I paying $700 for one. I'd be willing to pay maybe $300. Face it, it is a cheap plastic Turkish shotgun.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that because you didn't like my opinion and beat on your chest that I am going to retract my opinion and run off. I love internet commandos

Honestly when i first held mine, i hesitated on the thought of what i had just bought. I knew what i was getting from reviews, good and bad. But wow, it did feel like a toy. I, and many others who have handled and shot it, said the same. I was very surprised at how well it felt shouldered in the stock format(I am doing a few mods to this one). After we shot it... I ordered anther. haha

Plastic piece of crap? Thats merely an opinion. And an non-factual one at that! And from someone who should be into selling reliable guns such as you and your "team", that shocks me. Yeah it is plastic. And to you, it may "FEEL" like a piece of crap... Come to think about it, reminds me of another gun i bought and everyone said was ugly as hell and felt like a plastic piece of crap. Anybody remember a company called GLOCK? And we all know they are junk. lol Metal on Polymer firearms are here to stay wether people like it or not. I bet my Glock goes boom when i pull the trigger!!! And so does my MKA!!!!!

And we need to stop comparing coverted Saigas to a stock 1919. Compare stock Saiga and stock 1919. Yeah, now which one are you buying? And what's ugly? For i believe we have all seen the youtube video of an MKA that will rival any S12.

But to each his own, it's your money, and this is America!!!

Nate

• Like 1

Indeed - but it will be interesting to compare a Tromix S-12 with a Tromix MKA when he starts up converting in June again!

No it won't. It will likely be close to boring... They will both be amazing and handle anything you can throw at them! Then it will truly come down to personal taste. I can't wait!!!

JG

Indeed - but it will be interesting to compare a Tromix S-12 with a Tromix MKA when he starts up converting in June again!

No it won't. It will likely be close to boring... They will both be amazing and handle anything you can throw at them! Then it will truly come down to personal taste. I can't wait!!!

JG

Yeah - you're right. Both platforms will be at their highest potential then. It will be like comparing a Arsenal Saiga to a Colt/Noveske/LMT AR - Both are magnificent weapons.

i could definantly see owning one. IF high cap mags come out. until then ill stay on the fence and observe. there is alot to like about the gun. but again 5 rnds just isnt enough for me. regardless of how fast you can change them.

dont get me wrong i love my saiga 12. but i also love guns in general.

so for me it would just be another excuse to use on the wife

" no honey this is ENTIRELY different than my saiga."

Firebird has them on their website already and on the guns they've already made- hi cap mags that is ^^

just watched that. it is impressive. and different. might be something down the road. cant do it this year (new baby on the way)