I need a barrel hood extention installed.

how about buying a box of three inch for HD? Way simpler then welding or drilling anything.

LOL! I got a good chuckle out of this. Very true indeed, but far too simple a solution for most users. Something as easy as using different ammo simply will not do. It must be drilled, filed, screwed, riveted, cut, polished, welded, covered, chopped, diced, flipped, and dipped.

• Like 1

how about buying a box of three inch for HD? Way simpler then welding or drilling anything.

LOL! I got a good chuckle out of this. Very true indeed, but far too simple a solution for most users. Something as easy as using different ammo simply will not do. It must be drilled, filed, screwed, riveted, cut, polished, welded, covered, chopped, diced, flipped, and dipped.

That's what I used to do, for that reason and just overwhelming power. But then I did some non-scientific drills with multiple targets... I was way faster to the next target and to follow up shots with 2 3/4"... Now I run 2 3/4" If I knew of some 3" loaded to the same specs as the 2 3/4" I would jump on them. I haven't ever had this issue but it is forseeable that a shell could. I have had a loose fitting magazine cause the opposite error.

• 9 months later...

That's what I used to do, for that reason and just overwhelming power. But then I did some non-scientific drills with multiple targets... I was way faster to the next target and to follow up shots with 2 3/4"... Now I run 2 3/4" If I knew of some 3" loaded to the same specs as the 2 3/4" I would jump on them. I haven't ever had this issue but it is forseeable that a shell could. I have had a loose fitting magazine cause the opposite error.

Rio Buckshot is 2 3/4" but is crimped to the same length as a 3" shell.

2012-06-12145839.jpg

Edited by leadsled

I needed one installed too wink.png

post-22401-0-27219700-1353497530_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-13450300-1353497547_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-94186200-1353498232_thumb.jpg

Seriously, if it doesn't already have an extension, I add one. It is time consuming, but worth it, IMO.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I need a gun smith that can install a barrel hood extention. I have my saiga running perfectly on all sorts of low and high brass. But the only failure I get is FTF getting caught on the barrel hood. Where can I have this done? Price?

Jack Travers of JT engineering offers the service.

Would the size of the ports be any issue with this failure?

Yes.

The Mag, undersized ports, and a weak load can all cause it.

If it's the mag, it's a slow feed. If it's the ports then it's a short stroke, if it's a weak load, it's a short stroke.

Regardless, the feed foot of the bolt comes into contact with the base of the shell before it's fully raised in the mag and this causes the nose of the shell to kick upward at which point it can catch the edge of the hood like that.

Funny thing is mine doesn't have the extended hood and I've never, not once, had an issue because of it. I've gotta blame good ol' Russian tolerances for that.big_smile.gif

If you desire to experience the joys of the anomaly, just purchase a ProMag stick mag.

If you desire to experience the joys of the anomaly, just purchase a ProMag stick mag.

Well, There you have it. I went straight for the SGM mags and haven't wavered. It's not the gun's fault, after all.

• Like 1