didn't do my homework, ordered Tapco puck, set me straight bros

I haven't been following fun stuff (largely gun stuff) for a good while, but I did remind myself to watch that ATF thing from earlier last year. So when the new parts count thing was announced, I worked the checklist on my phone and discovered that my foreign-mfg folding stock means no more foreign mags. But I was relieved by the home-made floorplate option along with the easily replaced gas "puck" option.

A month or so later, my buddy with .mil discounts asked if I wanted anything from (popular parts co.) and I was stoked to actually remember the puck thing. My TAPCO puck just arrived, and while googling install notes, I discovered that apparently it is possible for an outfit with huge tool-up resources to screw up something as simple as a nickle-sized steel cylinder with no moving parts. I'm also one of those curmudgeonly types who grumbles to peel off fifty bucks for a piece of steel resembling a stack of six nickles, least of all when the piece it replaces works fine. But here I am.

Help me out guys. I'm so bogged down. I'll take the heat for not reading enough and thank you for it. I'm keeping the folder.

What's my cheapest, reliable puck option?

PS: dropping the russian thread protector means zilch, right?

What are you expecting from the puck? 1 US part? then it should be fine.

Magical cure of inability to cycle weak ammo? You will be disappointed.

There is a bias to this forum which causes you to freak out over nothing. People post here for two reasons. 1) something is broke and they want to fix it. 2) they can't help messing with things and they want to show you what they did.

Either one would tend to convince you that these guns need constant attention.

People don't go out of their way to post, "hey I haven't done a thing to my gun and it is still working fine as always."

Think about it.

If you hung out in the emergency room you would get crazy paranoid too and maybe start buying meds just to be safe too.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 3

People don't go out of their way to post, "hey I haven't done a thing to my gun and it is still working fine as always."

Oh yeah... My S-12 is still shooting as always. I did finally clean it last year, I figured moss growing in the action means its time to clean it.

Try it out and see if it works. I've yet to have any part do anything really spectacular different then OEM, other then replacing a broken hammer spring in my .308, that really did make a big difference.