I won my first 3gun match last Sunday. Here are 3 of the stages. i won the shotgun/pistal stage by over 12 seconds. I shot with an ak-74, S-12 and A Glock 22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBr6E7z3mL4&context=C3f0f4f8ADOEgsToPDskKCfsC4SthVufJJTn5YdGog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATOs2oT5xS4&context=C36c0941ADOEgsToPDskIuhklhvoBgFBiy9kZSZuMG

Edited by Rangerguy
  • Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...

Alot of places don't like 5.45 cause it's steel core and there worried about there steel plates and poppers. Were I shoot its only paper so there not to worried about it. There are a couple more matches around me that don't allow steel core. SO I guess I'm going to have to get ar.

Hornady is producing Russian 5.45x39 steel case ammunition with their 60 grain V-max copper-jacket lead core bullet. It groups very well from from my Arsenal SLR-105 AK-74 clone and goes for around $16-$19 for a box of 50. Plus, it's kinda hard for the match directors to say it's steel core with a plastic tip on the end of the bullet.

http://www.hornady.com/store/5.45X39-60-gr-V-MAX-Steel-Case/

I use an AR-15 that is a home build for matches that have stages over 400 yards, a Microtech STG-556 (AUG clone) and SIG 556 for shorter stage matches and an Arsenal SLR-105 (AK-74 clone) for short range blaster matches like the NC Recon that allow 5.45x39 caliber rifles. The STG and the SLR are my favorites in that order.

• Like 1

You could go with a Vepr also. I agree the 5.45 is often disallowed because of the magnetic properties of eastern block ammo. If a supply of non-magnetic ammo could be found that would be great.

What does 5.45 do to steel targets anyway, if anything at all? I would like to use the 74 in gun games.

Truthfully it's my belief that Wolf ammo is fine and does not really damage the steel reactive targets. But there are 5.56 AP ammo on the market and well it will punch nice holes in some targets. So match directors insist on using a magnet to check for steel in the ammo if a magnet sticks to the ammo it's AP as far as the MDs are concerned and you are Disqualified and sent home.

What I used to do at Black Creek was use Wolf on paper and have mags set aside for steel and reactive targets where I would use Winchester 7.62x39. Which was not a problem.

You could go with a Vepr also. I agree the 5.45 is often disallowed because of the magnetic properties of eastern block ammo. If a supply of non-magnetic ammo could be found that would be great.

What does 5.45 do to steel targets anyway, if anything at all? I would like to use the 74 in gun games.

If the sun is going down a bit it makes a great spark show. Other than that, not much.

A few sparks from the mild steel jackets is about right. Wolf black and white commercial boxes have a lead core and steel jacketed-bullet. If it's a good grade of steel in the target then lead-core 5.45x39 is no more damaging than commercial .223 ammunition.