New to a 5.45

Just picked up a 5.45 and I've been looking around for a month for the basic info on these guns. What are the basic mods I'd need to do to move the trigger forward, pistol grip and to take standard ak mags? I assume the parts are interchangeable between the different calibers? I've looked at some tutoriols but I'm not sure what exact parts I'd need. Me and a buddy both have shops so I think between the two of us we should figure it out.

Also, why did I buy a SKS three years ago when these guns are available at these prices?

i second the motion to check out Carolina shooters supply. they have all of the information and parts you need, and are great people to do business with. i do not work for them...ha ha. i just buy a lot from them. and also when comparing these to other 5.45s remember the mil surplus ammo is very corrosive so if your are looking at other guns make sure they have a chrome lined barrel or it won't last to long with out a lot of cleaning. have fun and enjoy your new saiga. oh and if your rifle has a round trunion it will most likely feed good from regular ak 74 mags without a bullet guide, just my experience.

I use Tapco for my adjustable stock, pistol grip, and trigger. I have seen a combo pack with the stock and pistol grip at a recent gun show. UTG for the quad rail. All work great and looks bad ass.

I do NOT recommend the Tapco mags for 5.45.

Enjoy your new toy!

It seems like the Tapco mags are either all or nothing, doesn't it? I actually picked up a couple that were somewhat used from a guy who couldn't get them to feed his Saiga- and yet, 500 rounds later, they've been nothing but flawless in mine.

No bullet guide in mine, either.

Edited by DisThunder82

so I just placed my order for my Saiga IZ340

is this the trigger group kit you are talking about? http://store.carolin...sion-Kit/Detail

which bullet guide do I need?

what else other than a stock is needed? sorry for the questions but this is my 1st build.

thanks

Edited by universal_exports

The bullet guide that you need will depend unpon the trunion of your rifle. It wil be circle or flat. If you click on the bullet guides on CSS website they will have pictures of the different trunions, so you simply look at your rifles and see if it matches.

I have tapco 30 rd mags for mine and they work great. Last one jams, though, but I got a bullet guide coming in the mail!!

Also, why did I buy a SKS three years ago when these guns are available at these prices?

Nothing wrong with an SKS either. Atlantic Firearms just had some for 299.99 and I waited too long. I remember when I was in high school you could get an SKS for about 80 bucks. I thought they must have been junk for that price. Sure wish I would have bought one then...

• 3 weeks later...