How to tell if Saiga is over gased?

If the back of your carrier looks like someone hit it with a ball peen hammer,its overgassed.

If your setup is pretty well in stock configuration,I wouldn't be too worried.The S12 from the factory is designed for a high brass shot.

If you've messed with the gas system/ports/lighter springs etc...keep a close eye..As your op rod will be the first thing to bend/break.

Go by feel aswell,if things don't feel smooth or normal shut it down and do some checking.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

If the back of your carrier looks like someone hit it with a ball peen hammer,its overgassed.

If your setup is pretty well in stock configuration,I wouldn't be too worried.The S12 from the factory is designed for a high brass shot.

If you've messed with the gas system/ports/lighter springs etc...keep a close eye..As your op rod will be the first thing to bend/break.

Go by feel aswell,if things don't feel smooth or normal shut it down and do some checking.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Also forgot to add..

IMO the Tac 47 "auto plug" is the best idea since sliced bread..Set it to cycle your low brass and leave it!

No worries shooting slugs to buck to bird..it regulates your gas and releases the excess..

I agree, Autoplug was a great idea.

OP,

Is it factory or converted? You might do a REPROFILE and decent polish and cycle that buck on setting one. 400 grit sandpaper gives plenty of polish if you do not have a means to buff the surfaces. Focus more on the reprofile than the polish.

The Kalashnikov system was designed to hit the rear block. As long as the carrier is not "mushrooming", all is probably fine. These things can take a lot of abuse.... axe me how I know ;)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Saiga can cycle 2 3/4 #7.5 shot on setting one. Is my saiga over gassed?

It doesn't do it relably, jams every 2nd or 3rd rnd. But I bet it will cycle whole mag if i hold the gun tightly.

If your gun does'nt run low brass consistantly on #1 I would'nt worry about it. I have two four port guns that run like that and I can't see any damage to the rear trunion. However, the carrier does make contact, but I don't see any deformation like some of the photos posted on this site of S-12's that appearantly are over gassed. Edited by macaholic
  • Like 1

It's really hard to over gas one unless you have no clue what you were doing when you opened up the ports. Since you haven't, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree. OP is overthinking it and has succumbed to the fearmongering. Shake it off. I have S12s with 4 ports @ .093", super slick actions, and AK100 folders. No issues with any of them. I actually shoot them a little too ;)

• Like 1