mag release pin came out and spring is gone

I had shot about 100-120 slugs as of lately at 2 range outings and on the last one, the mag release pin came out and the mag release spring flew off to never be found

I ordered a replacement spring (actually 3 of them) from CSS. now I am thinking how can I prevent this from happening in the future. should I get a replacement pin from a hardware store or from somewhere else or if I reuse original pin, what can I do so it would not come out? I found replacement pins on CSS after I already bought the spring and don't want to pay $8 to ship $1.50 part. so is there a suitable replacement?

Any ideas?

I would peen the ends of the pin out with a punch.

My pin kept starting to walk out and tried this and flattened my punch but didn't peen the pin enough to keep it in place.

So I did as RED333 mentioned and put a drop of loctite on both ends of the pin. That pin is a weak point of the S12 in my experience.

problem is solved - I found the spring - it was hiding inside the reciever, by the hammer legs - thats why I could not find it in the range

I got a roll pin from Menards - 1/8x3/4 - took some effort to start it in the hole, but it went in solid, ends stick out about 1/16 on each side, but I know for sure it will not drift out :)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Patience is good with this pin.

It works good to also chase the hole with something to keep everything in alignment while pushing the pin thru. The "punch" in your factory cleaning kit works good for this.

I used an AK piston to bolt carrier rivet to replace my pin. worked out good.

I'd did the same when I found mine walking, it was while I was fitting my drum. Almost cost me a bIt more than just a few taps with a hammer and Punch. That's why I added to the fitting a drum thread, mind the mag release pin, they do walk.

Same thing happened to me. I have the parts but I can't compress the spring to get the pin back in, without it flying apart. Any suggestions?

Take a slightly smaller diameter pin, cut it off at the identical length as the thickness of the mag catch.

On one end, round the edge to give it a very slight angle (chamfer).

Put the sping on the catch and slide the 'short' pin in to hold the spring in place. Slide the catch/spring/short-pin assembly into the reciever....line it up correctly, and drive the original pin through (the sharpened egde of the short-pin should go forward/out).

I think it's a 3.50mm pin (I don't remember....regardless), you can get .01mm or .02mm over size pins that will press into the reciever and not walk out, if your mag-pin hole is too big (which it sounds like it is).

Matt

The extended mag releases come with a small pin to hold the pieces in alignment during the installation. Installing that sucker on an Izzy magwell conversion is by far the hardest job on a S12!But the magwell pin is very long, nearly triple the length, and passes through tensioned magwell plastic on both sides. That sucker isn't going anywhere.

• 1 month later...