Quick Rundown on Ammo

I'm looking to get a 7.62 this weekend and I'm hoping someone can give me a crash course on cheap ammo and answer some questions. I know the basics of bear colors, what surplus is corrosive and not. I know that the FMJBT gold tiger is supposed to be especially accurate. Did anyone ever run down on what has new production Sapsan 8m3 bullets for sure? 124 grain Uly or Tula HPs?? How do the other hollowpoints perform?

In my experience, the hps perform a bit better than the fmjs. In my rifle anyways. It seem like my saiga with the dinzag bullet guide likes the shorter cartriges. Every once in a while I will get jammed up with an fmj or sp, but never an hp. I have been 100percent with every hp ive put thru it.

I have checked out the tula 124hps, and they are not sapsons. If you cant get the sapsons, most any hp cartrige is good, (it seems to me). At least they are reliable and have a decent chance of expansion. I cant tell you what new production is using the 8m3 bullet.

The ones I have are labeled 'sapson' and the wolf military classic. when I looked at the two headstamps, they were exactly the same. I was happily surprised.

Honestly man, if I was buying bulk, I would either get golden tiger fmj (for accuracy) or any other hp, especially if I knew they were loaded with the 8m3's. I am partial to the hps though.

post-31894-0-78721600-1328507100_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-84101100-1328507125_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

hollows kept jamming (wolf) in my draco the only time I ran them - ending up in me almost getting into a fist fight with the range officer and hostile situation at knob creek gun range lol. long story but I only run fmj now. the bullets were seated all visibly different. i just ordered 1k rounds of KSAP from aim for 190 which if they go boom most of the time ill be happy. get you some lapua x39 ammo if you're planning on sniping.....

Edited by buddykermit

In my experience, the hps perform a bit better than the fmjs. In my rifle anyways. It seem like my saiga with the dinzag bullet guide likes the shorter cartriges. Every once in a while I will get jammed up with an fmj or sp, but never an hp. I have been 100percent with every hp ive put thru it.

I have checked out the tula 124hps, and they are not sapsons. If you cant get the sapsons, most any hp cartrige is good, (it seems to me). At least they are reliable and have a decent chance of expansion. I cant tell you what new production is using the 8m3 bullet.

The ones I have are labeled 'sapson' and the wolf military classic. when I looked at the two headstamps, they were exactly the same. I was happily surprised.

Honestly man, if I was buying bulk, I would either get golden tiger fmj (for accuracy) or any other hp, especially if I knew they were loaded with the 8m3's. I am partial to the hps though.

If your rifle is occasionally jamming with Fmj. Either your mags arnt fitting correctly or your bullet guide is positioned wrong.

^^^^That.^^^^

Tulammo, 124 gr. HP, has the 8M3 bullet. At least the 500 rds. I bought have them.

Be careful, though. Tulammo also has a 122 gr. HP that DO NOT have the 8M3 round, (from what I've read).

Most modern production will be non-corrosive. The only one left out there I know is corrosive is the Yugo M67 FMJ. Of all the surplus, Yugo is the most accurate. I have 3 cases on standby for the zombies....lol. This is a target I shot with my Chicom SKS, 40 rounds as fast as I could fire/reload for a test on another forum. First 5 were low and all over the place, but not bad shooting at a 12" square at 100 yards offhand with a center hold(black line was painted for reference).

P1010886.jpg

Boomstick - what's that headstamp (no, not the 7.62x39, the other one on the bottom)?

Im not exactly sure what its called or which russian factory its from, its kinda like a pepsi symbol with an arrow on each side. All I know, is that its the same headstamp that is on the wolf MC with the sapsons.

I have had the sapson 'brand' ammo, which is in the pic above. I just picked up a few boxes of the wolf military classic at a gun show. To my surprise, same headstamp, and same red sealant around the primer and bullet. After looking at the bullets themselves, definately 8m3's.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up some 7.62x39 ammo from Academy Sports today. Monarch brand, 123 gr, FMJ, Steel case and laquer coated. $4.99/box of 20. Anyone have experience with this ammo? Apparently they sell quite a bit of it so somebody's using it.

Edited by tchick