European surplus mags from AIM - Review and feedback

Since AIM mags keep popping up as recommendations in several forums I frequent I snapped a few photos of mine and thought we could talk about them.

If you already have some, please share how they fit and function in your saiga, and any other opinions you've formed about them. If you are considering ordering some, stick around to for some info.

Sold off most of the last batch of mags I bought from AIM surplus(the commercial made new bulgarian mags .

( I had trouble with rusting seeping from underneath the side slabs..bothered my OCD. )

They all arrived looking brand new. The ad didnt say used, but I assumed since they were surplus they might have been.

Finish is nice. I prefer the blued look to that horrible black paint on the commercial bulgarians.

Only criticism as of now is they are sharp is anything!

Maybe all surplus are, I've only gotten older beat up ones before that were probably worn smooth from use.

Had several gashed knuckes from the last range trip, so sharp edges are exactly what I don't want. part of the reason I purchased mags without the spine on the back.

(boy, maybe I shouldn't have made fun of nutnfancy's tacticool gloves... )

Even the overlapping tac/spot(?)welded seam along the front of the mags is just waiting to slice a finger if you grip the mag and slide your hand along the edge. I'll be taking a jewlers file and some steel wool to the edges.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They fit a little loose in my Saiga compared to my other European surplus mags, but I'll let you guys know how they cycle rounds once I get out to the range.

Have yet to test fire, but I dissembled and de-greased them all. Then took a fine file and steel wool to all the sharp edges and lightly oiled them.

Some of the base plates fit a little haphazardly. One almost slides of the track if you push it sideways.

Not sure if it's worth tinkering with, or if I should just see how it holds up first.

Somewhere( maybe here on the saiga forum) I read a tutorial on how to cut down a 30rounder to make a 20 rounder.. if I decide to try that I think this one will be the volunteer for the project. I could make the "tabs" at the end/bottom of the magazine to a custom and longer length so that the base plate fits a little more securely.

I do wish I ordered only a few before buying a larger batch of them. Serves me right for trying to save on shipping costs!

Overall, still happy with the mags, but real opinion is pending the first trip to the range with them.

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Edited by geofri

I bought 4 of these also but have not been to the range with them. I just got my 7.62 and filed the catch so these work with it. I still need to do my bullit guide yet. I will give some feedback after I go to the range also.

I got 4 coming from AIM along with 1k KSAPs. I'm sure they will be fine- better then those 10 US made plastics POS. I always seem to order 4 mags at a time too lol. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know how long my order will take to ship if its my first order with them? I placed it Sunday morning and they said my ID was good but it still says pending verification?

I bougt a couple of these, but found out the Chicom mags lock up tight in mine. I've since sold all my bulgy mags but one, and went exclusively Chinese.

Other than the sharp edges, they functioned flawles in mine. Slow fire, rapid fire, bump fire, they didn't seem to care.

I have ten of these. All work great in my saiga. When I got them I took them apart,boiled them all, then wiped them all down with a very very thin coating of oil. No rusting problems with mine and the all lock tight enough to function 100%.

Very satisfied with mine

Thanks for all the input fellas.

School has me busy, so the range trip may take some time.

how did u degrease them?

id be interested in buying a few off you, if interested pm me

I used brake cleaner. Nasty stuff and rough on your skin, but works pretty well.

I had heard boiling worked.. but didn't have a big enough pot.

I'd sell you a few, but would want to charge you a commission. wink.png so you could just as easily purchase them directly from AimSurplus.

Edited by geofri

are there any markings?

i got four of the chinese ones without a spine from copes and 1 random one from sgammo so and they're arent the same so imwondering what i got from sgammo cuz that one was COVERED in something and the ones from copes werent

are there any markings?

i got four of the chinese ones without a spine from copes and 1 random one from sgammo so and they're arent the same so imwondering what i got from sgammo cuz that one was COVERED in something and the ones from copes werent

I had the same thing happen to me. The magazines from AIM were caked in some of the grodiest grease I've grappled with, but the mags from Cope's were clean as a bean with a light coat of oil.

how did u degrease them?

id be interested in buying a few off you, if interested pm me

To remove cosmoline or any grease use Mr Clean. Heat the Mr Clean and drop the parts in it, comes right off, practicaly falls off. I have a Yugo that came caked with cosmoline.

I've got about 20 of those.. all of them have been perfectly fine. The ones I got from AIM all looked brand new and flawless. I've had a couple from some other sources in the past that had some dents and scratches... etc... but didn't affect cycling.

Also geofri, you can probably fix that base plate by bending it inward some... or give it a few taps on the side with a small hammer to tighten it onto the lip at the bottom of the mag.

I always use mineral spirits to clean mine up... seems to work pretty good. I just dissasemble and drop them in a pan of mineral spirits for a few minutes till you see the grease or cosmo start to dissolve and flow out of them... then pull them out and wipe the mag down inside and out really well. Doesn't take long to work, and I'd advise against overnight soaking. It won't really hurt the mags, but it will dull the bluing if left for a day or 2. I usually don't oil mags just to prevent dirt from sticking inside. Sometimes I'll wipe the springs with a rag soaked in lucas rust preventative though.