Just purchased a Ruger LC9 at a local business that had them on sale for $310. I considered it a decent price for a CCW after reading a few quick reviews on a google search. After taking it home and doing an initial cleaning I decided to delve deeper and found a review with comments on a popular "firearm blog". Some say it malfunctions while others have no problems whatsoever. Could be ammunition choices but many blame Ruger for bad QC. I have yet to shoot it so I have no idea what I have. It does seem the manufacturer is resolving some of the problems which looked to be on guns built early in the year. Mine is a early December build so hoping for the best.

Wanted to see others for this site opinions on it. What say you?

I dont have an lc9. Some friends have a lcp. One of them had feeding issues until he put a few hundred through it and hasnt had problems since, its a few years old. I do own a Ruger and know they have excellent customer service if you ever have a problem they will take care of it very well.

edit: Happy shooting!

Edited by Yoshi

I have a Ruger LCP .380 that was purchased for CCW. It has cycled flawllessly until last week when I had several FTE issues. I cleaned the gun and shot 75 to 80 rounds without any problems. Gun likes to be clean because of all the composite material. I like the size of the LCP (Wallet Holster) but not happy with the sights or LONG trigger pull. It takes a couple of hundred rounds of practice before feeling comfortable in your hand. Hope this helps.

I have one and it has performed flawlessly with Remington bulk FMJ and Winchester HPs. I only got it to carry when situations prevent me from carrying a fullsize. I normally carry a Glock. Due to its size, I'm only expecting to use it up close although I had no problem hitting an empty CO2 welding tank at 50m with its short sight radius.

Edited by MT Predator

Hello

I have a pair of them, both fitted with Lasermax's and Crossbreed Mini-Tucks. The DA trigger pull is similar to the LCP's, read: it sucks.

These things are nearly the same profile as my Ruger SR9-C which has a very nice pull, especially compared to the LC9, so I'm not certain what the thinking was there.

I realize it is designed as some "quasi-safety" device, but they seem to have gotten around it with the SR9-C and I don't feel any less safe with it.

I've never had any feeding issues with either of mine (one is the wife's) after approx. 200 rounds apiece. Various range-quality FMJ stuff, with a box of Gold-Dot's each just to male sure they feed, too. Other than the loooong trigger pull, they are pretty accurate, and they have truly usable sights. Truly nice carry guns, the Mini-Tuck has them just disappear.,

I got mine when they first came out, I was on a waiting list to get 'em.

They serve their intended purpose well. They aren't range guns. My wife hates to shoot hers, but she likes to carry it, if she feels she needs to carry.

JMHO....

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

Hello

No, the trigger isn't that bad, just wonder why they didn't try to make it better.

I suspect if one found themselves in the situation this weapon was designed for, the trigger pull would be the least of their worries.

On a positive side, if you want to make any of your other pistols trigger pull feel great, just shoot 100 rounds through the LC9 and then pick up your other model...You'll feel like you just got a professional trigger massage on it.

Forgot to mention, the "magazine interlock" device can be easily removed, also. I think it's a California or Mass. required thing maybe?

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

Hello

I have a pair of them, both fitted with Lasermax's and Crossbreed Mini-Tucks. The DA trigger pull is similar to the LCP's, read: it sucks.

These things are nearly the same profile as my Ruger SR9-C which has a very nice pull, especially compared to the LC9, so I'm not certain what the thinking was there.

I realize it is designed as some "quasi-safety" device, but they seem to have gotten around it with the SR9-C and I don't feel any less safe with it.

I've never had any feeding issues with either of mine (one is the wife's) after approx. 200 rounds apiece. Various range-quality FMJ stuff, with a box of Gold-Dot's each just to male sure they feed, too. Other than the loooong trigger pull, they are pretty accurate, and they have truly usable sights. Truly nice carry guns, the Mini-Tuck has them just disappear.,

I got mine when they first came out, I was on a waiting list to get 'em.

They serve their intended purpose well. They aren't range guns. My wife hates to shoot hers, but she likes to carry it, if she feels she needs to carry.

JMHO....

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

I just looked at one of these today for my carry. In your opinion, should I keep looking?

Guido2 I trust your opinion. As Racegal said, she's looking at maybe getting one for her CCW. You said your wife hates shooting hers. IS the felt recoil a little much with this small framed 9mm? We need to know because we're looking at the 9mm as the caliber of choice, and she's going to want to enjoy practicing with it, not just depend on it in a life and death situation.

As far as Ruger's QC and CS goes, IMO they have always been second to none....

None of the semi pocket pistols are reliable enough for cc. Even if you do get one that feeds flawlessly there still very likey to stovepipe if you dont get a good grip on it. If you actually limpwrist it, l guarantee it will stovepipe within a few shots- not something you're gonna wanna have in a high stress situation where perect form and grip may not be an option. There is a reason every serious pistol instructor recommends usually a glock, mp or hk. I would stay away from the pocket pistols for CC or protection.

I think on this very forum their was a person involved in a SD shooting and his pocket pistol jammed up. I know 2 other people whose pocket pistols have failed in real life shootings.

The trigger isn't that bad for a DAO. Since it has a lot of travel, I have carried mine with the safety off. I have put numerous and varied rounds through it with no malfunctions. It is not rated for +P ammo so I haven't run any through it although the ammo I carried in it was +P. I'm not too concerned about damaging a $300 pistol with good ammo in a SD situation. The only thing I don't care for is when I have it in a Supertuck, it hides so well, you cannot find enough grip to draw the damn thing. It now resides in my glovebox for a backup. I normally carry a Glock daily.

I think on this very forum their was a person involved in a SD shooting and his pocket pistol jammed up. I know 2 other people whose pocket pistols have failed in real life shootings.

IIRC, it was Elvis Christ and the slide had bit him probably causing the malfunction.