circle 10 mags will not lock in saiga

Remove the receiver cover, main spring and bolt assembly. Under a bright light try to observe the area of the mag that is preventing it from locking in place. I've found that typically the feed lip and or edges need to be filed lightly.

I've also seen brand new Circle 10s that have different angles on the rear mag catch. Make certain you have (just enough) clearance on the forward portion of the mag before touching that. I use a dental pick to make sure. Once you have enough clearance on the front - stop. No additional filing will make it fit. That's the point where you need to look carefully at the bevel of the rear mag catch.

Just go slow. I find them to fit tight as a drum and function perfectly. Hope that helps.

I had to take a little off of the top front of each side of the smoke cirlce 10's I purchased, i.e., the front corners of the mag. I did not mess with the locking tabs on my mags at all. However, I did take a little off of the mag catch on the rifle and the back part of the magwell (interdiction tab) with a dremel on my 2006 Saiga .223. As mentioned above field strip the rifle and look at it from the open top of the receiver while inserting a mag to see where you need to work. Just take a little at a time off of the mag catch on the rifle while trying the mag frequently, so you don't remove too much material from the mag catch.

Scroll down to the picture in fig A on this website; http://dinzagarms.com/downloads/223_mag_options.pdf and that is the portion that I dremmeled to make the smoked Circle 10's work in my Saiga .223.

Edited by TJohn

A guy gave me a steel 10round mag for firing blanks in a Galil rifle to try in my Saiga. It locked in without problems or modifications other than what I had already done to the rifle mentioned in the the above post. I will have to get hold of some regular steel Galil mags to see if they will work as well.

I've installed a bullet guide in my (I think 09?) D9168xxx 5.56. Galil steel mags hand cycle now but every once in a while I'll get a bullet pushed back into the case. Not sure if this is why they mention the champher on the chamber's lower edge? This MUST be resolved prior to firing.

Slugger

I wanted to try to get my steel Galil mags to work more reliably w/o mods, so I started tinkering with alternate bulled guide configurations. My latest, which works on all my un-altered Galil's in hand cycling (need to get to range for live fire test) has a "lip" which overhangs the edge downward slightly. The angled area sits lower and seems to catch the rounds which have a tendency to go in to the chamber lower and jam.

Ignore the buggered screw, it was replaced.

post-26538-0-66471200-1328978235_thumb.jpg

Edited by wpflgun

One additional note: If you are planning to install an AR mag well adapter, unaltered Galil mags may work after the conversion. I experienced this when fitting my Renegadebuck adapter.

The instructions for altering Galil or other steel mags (Dinzag and others) involves grinding down the front top of the mag so it will seat higher and feed reliably. The grinding of the front trunnion underside required for properly seating the AR adapter removes enough material for the unaltered Galil/other mags to seat properly. In fact, previously altered mags are a bit loose as a result of the AR adapter fitting.