At least they weren't able to buy any babby-killing assault clips.

Best lines: "semiautomatic assault rifle," "police-grade pistol," "tactical assault rifle modified to use bullets for an AK-47," and "50-caliber sniper rifle, the most powerful gun legally sold in the U.S.: bullet range 5 miles. It can pierce armored vehicles, even bring down a helicopter." 021.gif

• Like 1

I was watching this piece of trash video and was cursing under my breath at the idiocy and iligitimate facts and unknowledgeable horse manure that was spewing out of this clueless man's mouth. Did anyone pay attention to what they said about some of the guns? this is rediculous and it makes me want to scream. They need to check their facts and consider maybe doing a story about something else. Don't trust the media.

Yeah... ummm... anyway, back to reality. I knew what this show would sound like when he started quoting Bloomburg in his first statements. rolleyes.gif

As far as "police-grade weapons" are concerned... Considering how badly most Police budgets have been slashed lately, I'd guess a good number of my guns are of a "higher grade" already! ;)

I wish these morons would quit trying to go after the "tools", and do more to go after the people using them! Get the Police better budgets, training and equipment, put some judges in the system who have the authority (and knowledge) to do what they need to do, and get the criminals OFF the streets! Is it really that flippin' hard to figure out?! The millions of dollars Bloomberg has blown so far on this circus would have gone a LONG way toward actually improving things if he'd get his head out of his ass and his nose out of our business!

• Like 1

The only part that bothers me is that they did find some shady sellers. No questions and no ID checks or anything, not even to make sure they were a resident of the same state as required by federal law. The rest of everything they said was total BS, guy was trying to make a shock story as his first episode.

Edited by fauxknight

I wish these morons would quit trying to go after the "tools", and do more to go after the people using them! Get the Police better budgets, training and equipment, put some judges in the system who have the authority (and knowledge) to do what they need to do, and get the criminals OFF the streets! Is it really that flippin' hard to figure out?! The millions of dollars Bloomberg has blown so far on this circus would have gone a LONG way toward actually improving things if he'd get his head out of his ass and his nose out of our business!

The problem is that the criminals are the poor disenfranchised victims of racism and greedy corporations in the left's eyes, yet the majority of the "36 gun crimes" each day are related to gangs and the drug trade which, gasp, is also made illegal and subsidized by the biggest greediest corporation in the United States - the U.S. Government!

The problem is that the criminals are the poor disenfranchised victims of racism and greedy corporations in the left's eyes, yet the majority of the "36 gun crimes" each day are related to gangs and the drug trade which, gasp, is also made illegal and subsidized by the biggest greediest corporation in the United States - the U.S. Government!

I was referring to all the criminals currently infesting the Chicago statehouse. ;)

• Like 1

At least they weren't able to buy any babby-killing assault clips.

Best lines: "semiautomatic assault rifle," "police-grade pistol," "tactical assault rifle modified to use bullets for an AK-47," and "50-caliber sniper rifle, the most powerful gun legally sold in the U.S.: bullet range 5 miles. It can pierce armored vehicles, even bring down a helicopter." 021.gif

I've got to get me one of those "5 mile" .50s. The targets at my gun range are less than 5 miles from here. Think of all the gas money I could save.biggrin.png
  • Like 2

The only part that bothers me is that they did find some shady sellers. No questions and no ID checks or anything, not even to make sure they were a resident of the same state as required by federal law. The rest of everything they said was total BS, guy was trying to make a shock story as his first episode.

Of course, that would be assuming that the authors are even telling the truth.

I posted this on another forum but thought you might appreciate it:

Truthfully, the article was so poorly written that it was getting me to laugh. I could close my eyes and imagine a huffy 5th grade girl writing something like this with how poorly it was written and the obvious intent to make it wordlessly breathless. sick2.gif

Just for fun I'll point out some doozies that are nothing more than A) illogically applied adjectives, B) just plain logic fails or C) willful misrepresentation:

1) "police grade pistol" What the hell is a police grade pistol? Aren't they all? This is just used to make it sound like the rest of us should be disallowed from owning anything suitable for "police work." A, B and C goof ups.

2) "semiautomatic assault rifle" Assault rifles by definition are select fire and that registry has been closed for 25 years. Goof C.

3) "dangerous guns" WTF? A dangerous gun is one that is improperly working. I know that they're trying to imply that some guns are more street dangerous than others which is just stupid. Goof A and C.

4) "a 50-caliber weapon so powerful it could take down a helicopter." So true! I mean, every morning in the exercise room the TV is telling me of the latest helicopters to be shot down with 50 cal rifles. Goof C.

5) "Remember, at gun stores, background checks are required, but online – nothing. Believe it or not, in most states it’s completely legal." Ah, these are Face to Face sales but giving the impression that these transactions are online via mail order. Goof C.

6) "In fact, 34 people are murdered every day in gun violence, with many of the weapons traced back to private sales." No citation and my immediate thought was do they consider black market sales to be private sales. That could skew the statistics much in the same way the stats about guns in Mexico have been skewed. Goof C.

7) "yet he was easily able to buy a gun online." See #5.

8) "dangerous weapons" See #3.

9) "tactical assault rifle modified to use bullets for an AK-47, along with an easy-to-conceal pistol" Another WTF moment. Are bullets from an AK-47 any more lethal than other calibers? Can the author point me in the direction of bullets that spray love and flowers out of the muzzle? Pistols are inherently easy to conceal. Some more than others but if it convenient to carry it is easy to conceal. Goofs A, B and C.

10) "hollow-point bullets, made to inflict serious internal damage" oh and also to minimize the chance of over penetration and hurting others. But you know that logic thing is so hard and I bet his fraternity at journalism school didn't make it a priority. Goof B and C.

11) "But the scariest transaction came after dark in a pharmacy parking lot." Oh no a pharmacy parking lot after sunset. Goof C.

12) "The online ad was for a 50-caliber sniper rifle, the most powerful gun legally sold in the U.S.: bullet range 5 miles. It can pierce armored vehicles, even bring down a helicopter." See #4. Interestingly enough when I walk home at night I am never concerned about being mugged by a guy with a .50 BMG. I wonder why that is? Oh right, 20-30 pound RIFLES.

13) "And it’s happening nationwide." NO! People engaging in private transactions in a free country without government interference? The horror.

14) "even after the buyers said they couldn’t pass a background check." Not every reason to be denied on a background check prohibits you from owning a firearm. Logic fail! Goof B.

15) "As for the eight guns we bought, we turned them over the the Phoenix police department... where they will be destroyed." Tonight when I go to bed, I'll feel so much better knowing that 8 really nice guns are being needlessly destroyed. These people really think they're making the world a better place. Logic fail! Goof B.

Thanks for letting me rant/deconstruct. It became a challenge to pick out as many places where they were sensationalizing the article to appeal to the weak minded unthinking readers.

Any that I missed? :D

• Like 4
Of course, that would be assuming that the authors are even telling the truth.

I do of course even take that part with a grain of salt, they don't show the full video of any of the deals from start to end. Still, in a couple of the deals it does appear as if the seller just doesn't care. In a face to face deal if I don't know the person and they're not a vendor at a gun show I'm going to get at least verbal confirmation that they are legally allowed to own a firearm and to check their ID to make sure they are from the same state as me (and I have on the rare occasion that I've sold a gun).

I did laugh at most of his made up terms and misrepresented data, like police-grade, semi-auto assault rifle, shooting down helicoptors, and the fact that these were all 'internet ' gun sales.

i think i want to try mugging people with a 50 cal now lol maybe a police grade one.

what would they say if they saw a hannibal .577 or a .600 NE?

I'm almost to the point of thinking the commentator could be convinced that African safari rifles could crack the Earth's crust.

Oh,and I'd like to object to the title of this thread. "...At it again" implies there was a point where they had stopped.

Edited by DrThunder88

i think i want to try mugging people with a 50 cal now lol maybe a police grade one.

what would they say if they saw a hannibal .577 or a .600 NE?

I'm almost to the point of thinking the commentator could be convinced that African safari rifles could crack the Earth's crust.

Oh,and I'd like to object to the title of this thread. "...At it again" implies there was a point where they had stopped.

True, should have used "continues to spew"