Big thanks to Shandlanos for the great trench art/ quad rail handguard swap!

They look awesome, need a couple more loving coats of tung oil and some buff, but they are really unique!!

Thanks!!!

BTW, the heat gun, purple power, windex method does work to remove cosmoline. It just takes patience. Have about 2 hours on the upper and 3 hours on the lower to get it all out of the wood. But it is worth it to save the art!!!

post-32211-0-27747400-1328848415_thumb.jpg

post-32211-0-58038700-1328848428_thumb.jpg

post-32211-0-67592800-1328849132_thumb.jpg

Edited by armory
  • Like 2

I have 2 other sets that I am working on. 1 definitely has some art on it, the other I am not sure of yet, it is still pretty soaked with cosmoline to tell.

After you do the cosmoline stripping method I mentioned, it really looks like you have destroyed the handguards. But the tung oil will bring the beauty back.

It just takes some TLC to coax the history back out of them.

Stand by for ongoing project updates.

That's sweet! You really managed to bring those back to life. Those handguards were very dark, filthy and caked in cosmo before you got your hands on them. Great job cleaning them up, and I'm amazed how good the trench art looks now. Could barely tell what was carved in before.

That's sweet! You really managed to bring those back to life. Those handguards were very dark, filthy and caked in cosmo before you got your hands on them. Great job cleaning them up, and I'm amazed how good the trench art looks now. Could barely tell what was carved in before.

What is really weird is the finger grips that have been worn/carved into this particular set fit my fingers like they were made for it....even the pads on my fingers fit into it like a glove...must have had the exact same size hands. Weird!

armory, I want to ride in your time machine, I want a 1959 vette.

If you can go back in time to get something like you have, can you get me a vette.

The hand guards came out LOOKING GREAT!!!

• Like 1

armory, I want to ride in your time machine, I want a 1959 vette.

If you can go back in time to get something like you have, can you get me a vette.

The hand guards came out LOOKING GREAT!!!

Thanks!

When I read up on how to remove the soaked in cosmoline I was thinking, no way is this gonna take very long......How wrong I was!!

Hours of burnt fingers from the heat gun and shriveled hands from the Purple Power!!

post-32211-0-50579200-1328926327.jpg

post-32211-0-59038000-1328926344.jpg

post-32211-0-29774000-1328926352.jpg

Edited by armory
  • Like 1