Let's see your Yugo AK's

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, since we got to talking I just decided to see what I could do. Here is a couple hours of farting around. Started to get tired a started to fuck up and started cursing at it but I am getting clos

Thanks man, I just got IronWood its awesome. PermaBlue is OK,but I will do Wonder Blue next time

CAI M70B1 from Classic.  Cosmetically still a work in progress but as far a function goes it is rock solid...........   How it was received:     After putting on the Yugo M70 Imported Wood Stoc

Posted Images

I just got one of these and I'm impressed. Some of the reviews on the Century builds were really mixed. Seems like a love - hate deal. I spent a little more at a local dealer so I could take it apart and have a good like at it before buying.

Brought it over to the range today for the first time. I started at 25 yards just to see how close it was. Very consistently low and right. I fiddled with the front sight adjustment a bit and easily got 'em all in the 2"x2" diamonds on my targets. Ran out of time but next week I'll do 50 and 100 yards.

Yes. Easy at 25 yards but very consistent. No keyholes. I fired 90 Silver Bear 125 gr softpoints and had one round that failed to feed all the way and the bolt was about 1/2" from closing. Yanked it out and observed that the soft point was slightly sheared. That happened early on and didn't happen again. Switched over to Wolf 124 gr FMJ and I could not tell a difference it shot placement.

It definately has the "cool" factor working. As usual, I got a lot of questions just like my 2 tactical Saiga conversions.The bonus grenade launcher attachment is pretty cool too. I'm leaving this one alone pretty much. It seems very rugged to me; and if one were to run out of ammo in a fight this would make a formidable blunt instrument. I might add a Hogue grip later but I need to check out how they attach because the M70AB2 lacks the hole for the pistol grip nut. It cames with a Tapco grip. Also going to get a bayonet for kicks. The folder snaps in place firmly and was not uncomfortable to fire. My arms are long for a 6' person so if anything it's a tad short for me. The trigger is a G2, and while fairly crisp, it's not quite as smooth as those from Brian at Dinzag. I'm pretty sure he throws a polish on his. Also, it's worth noting that there is no BHO. I'm going to look into adding that because I prefer to have that feature. The receiver is dimpled but there is a little play in the 30 rd. mags that were included. I'm used to Circle 10s and I fit them very tight. So, over all I am very happy with the purchase. I think I am going to put linseed oil or something on the wood. It really looks sharp. One more thing, the tritium is dead. If I can find a way to remedy that I might do that as well.

Oh yeah. There is a little button on the side you need to press to remove the receiver cover and main spring. I really don't think it's a big deal, you just have to get used to it. Other than that is operates just like a Saiga.

I stumbled across this write up and found it interesting.

http://www.redstararms.com/uploads/yugo.pdf (mods - yank this please if this is a forbidden link.)

• Like 1

I think the you have to have Yugo mags to have the BHO feature on a Yugo...I may be wrong but I remember hearing that there was something different with the mags.

You're right. With the mag in place the bolt stays open after the last round. Once you remove the mag it slams home. At the range they want mags out while the line is cold; so I insert an empty cartridge in lieu of the BHO. Not really a big deal but I like the option of holding it open with no mag. Speaking of which - this is my first experience with all steel mags. While loading I notice the upper edges are sharp. Sharp enough to draw a little blood if you're not careful. This is my first 7.62 so I have to order a few more. Hopefully I can find Circle 10s. I love them in my .223s.

• 2 weeks later...

Range report: four different types of ammo @ 100 yards through 3 different mags. Out of a couple hundred shots (resting on a bag) 90 percent hit inside a pie-plate. Ok, that isn't going to get me in the Hall of Fame but that is acceptable to me for now. It was quite breezy. No failures of any type except with one mag filled with Tulammo 124 gr. jhp. Intermittent dead stop - slammed head on into trunnion. I marked the mag and put it back in the bag.

While watching Nascar pretend the sun was about to came out "any time now" in Daytona I removed the bolt assembly and inserted the offending mag/bullet combo. Feeding the bullets with my thumb I observed a very rough ride to battery. The ones that make it to battery ricochet off the square face of the trunnion then richet again off the top of the bore. Easy solution: either throw away the mag or attempt to adjust it; or use it only with non-jhp ammo.

I had an idea and figured it would be better to try it out on paper (ask this question) before trying it. The bullet ramps are beveled on conversions, right? How about rounding off the 90 degree angle on the trunnion a little? Would that not smooth out the path to battery for all types of ammo? Surely, if I thought of that, so has the manufacturer.

Has anybody done this and what would/could be the downside?

(chunga continues conversation with self)

Range report Two: I tossed a potpourri of ammo at this thing. HP, SP, FMJ, all different brands and everything spit out no trouble at all. I tested the one mag I was having trouble with - with FMJ only and it worked fine. I still like this AKMS. Over 200 rds and not one peep of trouble.

One Range Master joked that he hated AKs. I asked why and he said "back in the 'nam I had them firing at me. I'll never forget that sound". He did say he picked plenty of them up when his own weapon malfunctioned and they always went "BANG".

Another Range Master said he just bought an AKMS. cool.png

• 2 months later...

Picked this up at the gun show yesterday for $75, still need some more parts, barrel passes the bullet test and should make a good shooter.

post-35031-0-56869800-1329004718_thumb.jpg

You got lucky to get the parts that cheap as parts kits are drying up. I wish I could find such a bargain.

Get rid of the full auto parts before you do anything to avoid problems with the ATF who would love to charge you with possession of a machine gun even if you don't intend to build a full auto. You can get a rear non Yugo trunnion to build your kit and you'll need a gas tube and the NoDak receiver is a good basis for a build.

Hey Atakacorp, the Lahti mag was a real pain in the @$$!! I'm not super pleased with them. The best running one of the 3 that I did I used the top of a PSL mag welded to the lower section of the Lahti mag, and I used the Lahti follower. I wish someone would develope a production high cap mag for the PSL's.

Shandalos, the MG13 mag is pretty easy to mod by comparison. It's a MUCH better fit with the M76 than the PSL/Lahti mag combo is for the PSL. Basically welded a locking lug onto the back at the correct spot, and did a little trimming of the feed lips, and had to lower the front center of the mag opening to properly put the rounds onto the bullet guide. It really was pretty easy. They fit great, and feed great. Plus they just look so right on there!!!

• 5 weeks later...

almost done with my UF

IMG_6061.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6122.jpg

next is milled and not mild:) fix stock

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6092.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Love those Yugos

just finished my B1, all numbers matching ,shiny Yugo barrel ,she just feels right smile.png

my milled is next,waiting for half milled receiver from Matt,hopefully week or so

IMG_6255.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

Cold blue tomorrow ,using ,liquid perma blue

Edited by atakacorp

rocketfoot,if you only own one AK it should be a fixed stock model. Under folding stocks look nice but not much fun to shoot.

I do have that CAA adapter to turn my under folder into a fixed stock if I feel like it. Nice option.

So that rifle has a railed handguard, a AFG, a regular FVG as well, and a bipod.. wow. Don't shoot that one much offhand, do ya? biggrin.png

Ya ought to weigh it, I'm curious if it's under 15 lbs.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Looking good Atakacorp! Love to see pics after you blue. How do you you like the Perma Blue?? Any real difference in the look over the Super Blue???

Thanks man,:) I just got IronWood its awesome. PermaBlue is OK,but I will do Wonder Blue next time

IMG_6324.jpg

IMG_6327.jpg

IMG_6329.jpg

• Like 3

Atakacorp, thats a very nice looking rifle.

Mine will be more special when I get wood on it to add some character.

I'll be selling old hand guards from mine , PM if you are interested

5th pic from the top ,on mild Yugo kit and PG if you are looking for one

Edited by atakacorp
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ATAKACORPS, Dude, that looks freaking awesome!!!!! Matt at IWD is great, and turns out some beautiful products. I love the color, did you do the staining? Love the M76 style PG as well. Very drool worthy!!!

Lord AK47, that looks way better with the wood fore end. I loke it. Looks real nice.

ATAKACORPS, Dude, that looks freaking awesome!!!!! Matt at IWD is great, and turns out some beautiful products. I love the color, did you do the staining? Love the M76 style PG as well. Very drool worthy!!!

Thanks ,man. She is a shooter too. Matt did the finish ,it calls Russian Red and he using Soviet way of applying shellac or something like that :)

Thanks ,man. She is a shooter too. Matt did the finish ,it calls Russian Red and he using Soviet way of applying shellac or something like that smile.png

That's cool. I didn't realize that Matt was doing any refinnishing. That's too cool. It looks amazing. Glad that is a good shooter too. My flatside trunnion M70 underfolder that I rebuilt as a fixed stock is one of the best shooting AK variants that I have. Gotta love them Yugo's!!! Again, great job man. That thing looks fantastic.

• 3 months later...