need suggestions on red dot sight

Hi all...Im new to this great site and the S12. I bought a used s12 a couple of weeks ago and converted it with help from this forum and CSS videos. Im an avid shooter and collector and have never caught a bug like this one. I cant stop thinking of what to get next for the s12. I shot it the other day during my requalifications for work and it shot great with everything including low brass7.5 and factory plug.

Now Im thinking of adding a micro red dot sight like the JP or Burris.

Has anyone had any experience with the above sight on an S12?

Thanks in advance

I'm running a Trijicon RMR on my dust cover and love it! No batteries, no on/off switch & works in total darkness. I dislike the Burris for 2 reasons-you have to remove it to replace the batteries & the on/off switch on the side is a bad location. Not so much of a problem on the shotgun, but I was always turning it off on my pistol when I would rack the slide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What are you willing to spend?

Primary Arms micro dot is said to be a very, very, good inexpensive route as well as the leatherwood 30mm or 50mm! I love the Aimpoints and eotechs, but they're expensive, Trijicons and Meprolites are supposed to be great also, but again expensive. If you want the russian look there are sites that sell the russian red dots, but yet again expensive.

Damn, this ain't much help is it? bad_smile.gif I don't run a red dot on my saiga 12 but would like to have one and will likely settle for the primary arms micro dot, spending more on rifle optics. B/C the s12 is a close range (50yds or less) and more likely a 25yds or less gun for me. However, if your using rifled slugs out to say 100 yds then red dot would be great and likely require a good one to hold up!

Edited by Guns Are Great

I'm gonna be heading down to the local store and getting this sometime this week.

I've had one of those on my Tracker 17HMR for a few years. In some pretty harsh conditions it has held up fine and decently accurate.

Don't know how long it'd last on a 12 gauge though.

Edited by WhiskeyMinion

I use a Burris Fastfire II. R&R makes a mount that fits in the rear sight dovetail. Makes a very neat installation.

I shoot numerous local 3 gun matches. Like any other competitive sport, you push your equipment. If you don't clean, oil and inspect after every match, you will have problems.

I previously mounted a C-More red dot using the side mount. Very effective and reliable, but it looked clunky.

The new C-more RTS is by far my favorite and I have tried and broke most other sights. It is very tough and you do not have to take it apart to change the battery. It has a large window that makes finding targets easy. http://store.carolin...es?sfs=ac802cc8

post-9063-0-39138600-1333026484.jpg

• Like 1

The new C-more RTS is by far my favorite and I have tried and broke most other sights. It is very tough and you do not have to take it apart to change the battery. It has a large window that makes finding targets easy. http://store.carolin...es?sfs=ac802cc8

Greg do you have any pics of the actual dot looking through it, i.e. shooters view? Battery life? Edited by Guns Are Great

I've run the Burris, STS and Aimpoint H1 on my Saigas and they all worked fine, but I am partial to the Aimpoint for the extended battery life and that you can shoot it in the rain and still see the dot. Reflex and holgraphic sights can have trouble in the rain making the dot difficult or impossible to see. I've also had one JP, which I cannot recommend. I have not used the RTS but it looks like a good choice from a great company. For price, features and durability the STS or RTS would probably be the top choice. The Aimpoint is more expensive but is the best of the group in my opinion.

Doug

• Like 1

I also think Aimpoint to be the optic to beat! It's top-of-the-line. I would like to try the Mako and trijicon rmr style sites though. Should be picking up my next aimpoint, from the ups van, soon and beginning saving for 2 or 4 moa T-1 or 2 for an ak build and the S12.

Edited by Guns Are Great

Greg do you have any pics of the actual dot looking through it, i.e. shooters view? Battery life?

They come with either the 3.5 or 7 MOA dot. I do not have a picture of that. They state 1 year battery life from normal use. I like the fact you do not have to take it apart and re zero to change the battery.

I run a Rakurs on my S-12. Not exactly a red dot, but it's accurate and fun to shoot slugs with plus it utilizes the side mount and has a phosphorous dim light mechanism, so no batteries. I recently picked up a Bushnell TRS-25 and stuck on a Ruger MarkIII. No complaints with it yet.

+1 for the Bushnell TRS-25. If you read reviews on this thing, they are outstanding. This thing will not fog up easily, it will take a serious beating and keep a zero, holding up the the recoil of 12ga is not even a problem and it is extremely low profile. The turn knob on it is almost tough to turn, which in my opinion is good because it locks into position on the different settings VERY well and won't get finnicky or loose on ya. There are 11 different brighness settigns and it is VERY easy to see the dot as well. Not only all these great things, but you can find it less than $100 (Usually around $80-$90) on amazon and all around. Try Opticsplanet.com, try midwayusa.com, wherever, the prices vary but this is a truely remarkable and reliable red dot optic.

I bought a PFI Rapid Reticle Quad-Reticle Red Dot from Woot.com a few months ago. At the time, they were retailing for ~$450, but I picked mine up for $129! I believe they gone down in price since then, but that's the red dot in my profile picture. I have it mounted on my WASR 10/63 using a Kalinka quick-detach low-profile side rail. I'm not the kind of person that would normally blow $400-500 on an optic, but at $129, I couldn't pass it up!

It's very durable, doesn't require tools to adjust windage/elevation, has 4 reticles to choose from, and an 8-day battery life for continuous use on full power!

I've run the Burris, STS and Aimpoint H1 on my Saigas and they all worked fine, but I am partial to the Aimpoint for the extended battery life and that you can shoot it in the rain and still see the dot. Reflex and holgraphic sights can have trouble in the rain making the dot difficult or impossible to see. I've also had one JP, which I cannot recommend. I have not used the RTS but it looks like a good choice from a great company. For price, features and durability the STS or RTS would probably be the top choice. The Aimpoint is more expensive but is the best of the group in my opinion.

Doug

Does R&R convert regular saiga's to race guns? Or is this more of a DIY site?

I guess my question would be, as I am also considering a red dot sight, is that as high as it would sit atop the gun would it be more difficult to use than an iron sight

It is high on my UTG pro quad rail but I got it pretty close to accurate so far but not fired with mine on. Will take some getting used to I think but I like the one I picked up, just depends on if it will hold up to the recoil of the saiga12.