Saiga 7.62 and threaded barrels

S12.com Business Member, Atlantic Firearms

Saiga IZ 332 100 Series

AK 74 style front sight block with 24 mm threads

Thread protector is welded on for import purposes but can be removed during conversion

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1018.aspx

I have an 08 IZ in 7.62 that is threaded. My buddy has an 09 that is not. The factory would run out of threaded barrels from time to time and sub-in the unthreaded ones willie-nillie. There is literally no record or method to which one you'll get. However, the good news is that It is OBVIOUS to see if you have threads on a potential rifle w/o removing the shroud. You can actually SEE the first thread or two peeking out from the gap between the barrel and the shroud. I wish to God I took pics of mine for reference but once you see a threaded rifle you'll always be able to tell them apart at first glance.

I have an 08 IZ in 7.62 that is threaded. My buddy has an 09 that is not. The factory would run out of threaded barrels from time to time and sub-in the unthreaded ones willie-nillie. There is literally no record or method to which one you'll get. However, the good news is that It is OBVIOUS to see if you have threads on a potential rifle w/o removing the shroud. You can actually SEE the first thread or two peeking out from the gap between the barrel and the shroud. I wish to God I took pics of mine for reference but once you see a threaded rifle you'll always be able to tell them apart at first glance.

OK eagle eyes. :) Are these rifles threaded or no?

What says you?

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

I do not think either one has threads, IMO.

That's kinda what I think, but I haven't taken the tubing cutter to them..

top one appears to be...not sure on the bottom one-cannot see the thread beginning on it

You're the second one to say the top one looks like it might be.

OK eagle eyes. :) Are these rifles threaded or no?

What says you?

Top one yes, bottom one no. My 7.62 was an 09 version from Classic arms. I wasn't expecting it, but when it arrived, I could see the start of the threads. If you are not sure, take a tooth brush and scrub the area between the shroud and the barrel with dishwashing detergent and take a bore light to it. If you cant see the start of the threads it's not worth cutting the shroud. If you see the "spiral" it's time to cut the shroud and expose the threads. The only thing I can say, is it will be clear that he threads are under there.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

^1 to this. My factory thread looked just like number 1. TOp one threaded, bottom not. IMO you can see how the top one dives away from the crown* (?) of the barrel at about 15 degrees and you can see a bit of thin thread at about 7/8 oclock. the bottom one is flush-fit to the shroud.

Edited by NorCArl

OK eagle eyes. smile.png Are these rifles threaded or no?

What says you?

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Why can you see the sightpost on the bottom rifle but not the top?

I was wondering the same thing about the sight post. Is it just taken from the bottom perspective of the barrel, so the sight post is hidden in the pic behind the barrel? Either way the top pic looks like the threads are present under the shroud. If it doesn't, it is not that hard to thread yourself. The tools are not very expensive compared to the S12, and there are several good write ups already on the forum. If you don't want to go that route, any competent local macine shop should be able to do it. Good luck.

I was wondering the same thing about the sight post. Is it just taken from the bottom perspective of the barrel, so the sight post is hidden in the pic behind the barrel? Either way the top pic looks like the threads are present under the shroud. If it doesn't, it is not that hard to thread yourself. The tools are not very expensive compared to the S12, and there are several good write ups already on the forum. If you don't want to go that route, any competent local macine shop should be able to do it. Good luck.

I see that the sightpost is spun over.

One other issue is the portion of the factory threaded barrel is a longer distance from the FSB to the crown of the muzzle. On a factory threaded barrel the muzzle break will bottom out before reaching the FSB. It was no big deal for me as I just used loctite and it hasn't moved, but some folks modify the break so it can screww all the way back and a detent pin can be installed in the FSB. There is a thread somewhere about it on the sight. Also the factory threads are 14x1 LH.

I'll just toss my personal experience out there for you or anyone who might benefit from a couple of good ways to remove the FSB shroud to check for threads.

http://www.acehardwa...9462&cp=1260857

IMHO, the best way is to use a small pipe cutter, works great and won't cut too deep.

Once it completes the cut, the shroud noticeably moves/turns and/or pops off.

On a factory threaded barrel, the threads only go 5/8" back, not all the way to the FSB.

Cutting all the way back will leave a large gap between the FSB and a muzzle attachment... This avoids that.

Most small pipe cutters will not cut all the way back, most cut back .5" (9/16"), which is just shy of the threads factory base.

You can then index against the remaining shroud with a crush/peel washer.

Dremel

Place barrel securely in vise

Mark shroud for cut... Circumferential.

Use a new cutoff wheel

Work slowly and cautiously and don't go too deep, mark your cutoff wheel, no deeper than 1/8"-3/16" or you risk cutting into the barrel.

Once you think your close, stick a screwdriver in the cut and try to pop it off.

If not, go a cunt hair deeper, repeat as necessary.

100_9073.jpg

No Gap, flash hider is indexed with a crush washer.

100_9111.jpg

There is about a +/- 30% chance of threads on any given 7.62 manufactured '09 or later, with dimpled receiver and displaying the features common to milspec barrels.

Even having all the milspec features doesn't mean threads, one simply must cut the shroud of to find out for sure.

Sometimes you can see the start of threads, sometimes you can't. Some folks say that threaded barrels have a beveled crown and that non-threaded don't.

Don't know how many times I've heard someone so excited, only to be disappointed, when they swore they had threads... And vice versa.

The only way to tell is cut the damned shroud off.

'09 manufacture...................... check

Dimpled receiver..................... check

Non stepped chamber............. check

Handguard retaining notches.... check

Chamber end of barrel beveled...check

No pic of my chamber, but it isn't stepped.

saigax39.jpg

100_8985.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the muzzle before cutting the shroud off.

Threads....... CHECK!

Actually the cheap pipe cutter that I had wouldn't go through the entire shroud. The cutting wheel would become dull. I just used the start of the cut as a guide and used a precision hack saw to finish it. I could feel when I broke through the shroud due to the small gap between the shroud and threads. Just take it slow and easy.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

It sounds like it's hit or miss on whether the barrel is threaded. I just picked up a 2013 7.62 and it looks similar to the top one above that ended up being threaded. It might be my imagination, but I think I can actually catch the end of the thread with my fingernail at tip of the muzzle. This one is a RWC Group Import. Any experience with this one as to whether they're threaded or not? Thanks.