best HD ammo for my Saiga-20

I don't run a 20 myself and judging by the responses you've gotten no one else does either. From what I understand selection is limited for the 20 gauge. Three inch 00 would pretty much have to be about as good as it gets. If you can find it. 2 or 3 shot should be adequate too.

There's another thread here about Rio ammo. It seems they do make 00 for the 20. Good luck.

Federal, in their Premium Vita-Shock line; has a copper plated #2 buck 18 pellet 3" 1200 fps load, a copper plated #3 buck 20 pellet 2 3/4" 1175 fps load, and in their Personal Defense line a #4 buck 24 pellet 2 3/4" 1100 fps load.

They also offer these loads in non-copper plated buckshot in their Power-Shock line, Remington and Winchester also offer similar loads.

When I kept my 20 ga loaded for HD it was loaded with the 2 3/4" #3 buck and never felt it was "lacking" in any way...don't underestimate your 20 ga, its got more then enough bad guy stopping power.

Only reason I don't keep my 20 loaded for HD anymore is because we moved deeper into the country and a rifle is more appropriate, I feel.

The Federal Premium 20 pellet #3 buck load mentioned above is probably one of the better loads you'll find for your stated use. Better penetration than the #4 buck, without the increased recoil of the 3" #2 buck offering, and copper plated to resist pellet deformation/promote consistent penetration depth.

I'm not familiar with the Rio 20 ga 00 buck offering. If it is copper plated and buffered it may be worth looking into, though I tend to like to stick with known quantities for non-plinking use..

The above poster is right, with a good loading your 20 ga is more than suitable.

Edited by Anathoth

The Federal Premium 20 pellet #3 buck load mentioned above is probably one of the better loads you'll find for your stated use. Better penetration than the #4 buck, without the increased recoil of the 3" #2 buck offering, and copper plated to resist pellet deformation/promote consistent penetration depth.

I'm not familiar with the Rio 20 ga 00 buck offering. If it is copper plated and buffered it may be worth looking into, though I tend to like to stick with known quantities for non-plinking use..

The above poster is right, with a good loading your 20 ga is more than suitable.

The Rio 12 gauge 00 buck I use isn't copper plated so I would assume the 20 gauge isn't either. I just use it for range ammo but have had no issues with it and would use it for HD if need be.

I agree about the 20 being adequate as a defensive weapon. Those that say "12 or nothing" are being close minded IMO. I would still run three inch #2 or 00 for defensive purposes though. The more the merrier, I say.

• 11 months later...

I have never seen #00 buck for a 20 gauge. I don't see how it will stack in a 20 gauge. The Federal #2 load is the most effective I have found, but also the most recoil. Handloaders have loaded #1 buck in the 20 gauge, it will stack side by side, the same way that #000 stacks in the 12. There is at least one boutique loader who makes a couple of examples, though I haven't tested it.

At close range, #3 works very well indeed.

I have never seen #00 buck for a 20 gauge. I don't see how it will stack in a 20 gauge. The Federal #2 load is the most effective I have found, but also the most recoil. Handloaders have loaded #1 buck in the 20 gauge, it will stack side by side, the same way that #000 stacks in the 12. There is at least one boutique loader who makes a couple of examples, though I haven't tested it.

At close range, #3 works very well indeed.

Rio does indeed make 20 gauge 00 buckshot. Check out AbleAmmo.com. Of course, they are out right now, but what else is new?