Whats the best tactical .22lr rifle out there?

As above

In terms of reliability, feel, build quality, customisation potential

I've had a few 10/22's with alot of mods and dont rate them

Thinking more along the lines of Colt, H&K, Sig etc

I like the S&W. I was strongly considering buying one, but I ran into a deal on a old basket case 10/22. If money wasn't a factor that's what I would have purchased.

I have plenty of 10/22 mags and parts, so I decided to go with a Promag Maruader kt. I have about 270 into it and am happy with it for now. Futher plans include a threaded barrel with a supressor. It sure is cheaper to shoot that the Sagia.

I suppose it all depends on what TACTICS you plan to use...

(personally, I NEVER THOUGHT any .22LR could be TACTICAL... but in the days of tactical bacon, and the like... I guess ANYTHING can be!!! )

000.gif

My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Gary

I suppose it all depends on what TACTICS you plan to use...

( personally, I NEVER THOUGHT any .22LR could be TACTICAL... but in the days of tactical bacon, and the like... I guess ANYTHING can be!!! )

000.gif

The term "tactical" really needs to have ran it's course and "zombie" has to be about used up by now too. I'm guessing he means evil black rifle scarey looking death machine gun as opposed to run of the mill forefathers type bolt gun look.bad_smile.gif

I bought a sig 522 classic, great gun, eats everything, I got mine in super zombie defense green because it was anywhere from 50 - 80.00 less in green.

I have the S&W and love it. Chose it for two reasons. #1=$$ and #2= when you pop it open it actually resembles an ar. Open up a colt or mossberg, not so much. Not that it makes it better just shortens the disassembly/assembly learning curve. Also got the MOE version. Not much left to do but shoot.big_smile.gif

I have to admitt i do like my MP15/22. it was a fun rifle to dress up. Runs like a champ, eats everything from CCI Blazzers to russian steel cased ammo.

mp152210.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I want. I know the barrels come threaded, and that can be useful in a major zombie attack. I read an article a while back about different SHTF scenarios, and one guy made a lot of sense talking about having a .22 lr as a great good cheap round to take down two as well as four legged predators, as well as varments and game, of course with well placed shots, which isn't that difficult, due to the accuracy of a .22 ( within reasonable distance, of course). What really appealed to me was that he mentioned that a guy could carry well over 10,000 rounds in a backpack, and that could seriously demoralize a bunch of zombies. Couple that with a nice sound suppressor to an already quieter bullet and a bunch of extra magazines, one guy on a recon could raise some serious sleeplessness for some bad guys, imagine a group of em!

I’m more with the group that really doesn’t see the .22 lr as a practical choice for a tactical weapon. While I’d like one around for possible survival uses on small game I’d want something with more punch and distance for possible “OMG they’re trying to kill me” stuff.

Might think about an AR and a .22 conversion kit.

Added: I suppose some of it comes down to how big the tactical situation is you are addressing?:

post-26137-0-73465600-1329137533.jpg

post-26137-0-10595300-1329153361.jpg

post-26137-0-35090300-1329153393.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags

I have the Sig 522 and the S&W M&P15-22. Both have proven to be 100% reliable with whatever ammo I throw at them. I like them both alot, but decided to keep the S&W and am selling the 522. Only reason is because the Smith fits my son ALOT better and is about a 1lb lighter. I had the 522 as a trainer for my 556 but have decided to go back to the AR platform simply due to weight and the ammount of aftermarket support. You can't go wrong with either. The Sig is heavier and feels more like a real gun to me. I have the MOE version of the M&P and plan on setting my AR up exactly the same. Either one will work well as a "tactical" .22.

I just dropped the hammer on a CMMG true .22LR upper. Cousin has one, and it's a great plinker that has the heft adn feel of a 5.56 upper. Nice thing is, I can swap to my 5.56 or 6.8 upper if I need the extra punch. You can't swap uppers on most dedicated .22LR ARs, and the accuracy on the conversion kit is iffy. Only advice if you go CMMG is order a couple of extra mags. They will only guarantee it to feed with CMMG or Black Dog mags.

The only "tactical.22" is an AR-7.

One that apes your tactical is a trainer. Damn good thing to have, I NEED one in an AK. The same sight picture as my Romy. If you can hit it with a .22 you will hit it when using the tactical. The .22 lets you build muscle memory faster, you can shoot a lot more rounds a lot cheaper, faster and more comfortably.

The AR-7 serves a tactical purpose that neither an AR or AK can.

My WASR-22 isn't the most reliable rifle in the world, but it's cool as hell!

Same thing with my Lakeside Machine beltfed .22-cal AR-15 upper - basically a miniaturized 1919 based on the Tippman design, turned into an AR upper. Takes a lot of tweaking to get them running correctly. Cloth belts and plastic disintegrating links - loads of fun when it runs.

Same action and manufacturer as this lovely little SMG:

• Like 1