I recently upgraded, or at least I consider it an upgrade, from a heavy quick detach side rail mount on my converted saiga 7.62 to the Ultimak gas tube mount for my red dot. This also forced me to get rid of my old super chunky UTG quad rail which I installed years ago because it was cheaper and simple. My rifle has now taken on a sleeker, lighter look and feel, and I can cowitness my irons; but I'm left with a new question (purpose of this post).....

Is there anymore use for the rail on the side of the reciever where the side mount used to ride?

I looked around online, and I havn't found anything. Either no one has thought of this because everyone has accepted the fact that side mounts are the only thing meant to slip on there, or someone did try it and realized it was a bad idea. My thinking is that it might still be useful if someone designed a low-profile, super lightweight mount that would slide on just like a scope mount, but insted it would just hold a small flashlight or laser (or maybe some other accessory)....who knows?....maybe flashlight or laser wouldn't be practical because it would be shining down the length of the firearm's left side, but either way I just wanted to post my thought and see what anyone thinks???

Thanks

Edited by 7.62-Navy12
  • 1 month later...

i remember reading a thread about this very same topic that had quite a bit of replies. can't find it. can't remember where it was either. i do remember the best idea though. it went something like this:

"for attaching a rear view mirror so i can watch my own 6 while busting dynamic entries and shit"

haha.gif i love that one.

Ooh, one could build a mag carrier like those Redi-Mag things. I don't know if it would be useful, but mall ninjas would be beating down the inventor's door to buy one.

I actually considered trying this about a year ago. I thought it woukd add too much weight to an already heavy rifle design.

Though I bet you're right. The mall ninjas would love it.

I suppose if you really wanted...

You can buy one of these..

http://www.leapers.com/images/600X381/MNT_978_PRO_1.jpg

slowly file off the top rail and use the side rail to mount your laser, and attach the pressure switch on your main pistol grip.

I was picturing it in my head and it even looks wierd...

I'd just get a ultimak, put a PA-Microdot on top of it... if you want a flashlight, use a vltor offset scout mount on the top rail in front of the red-dot and call it a day.

http://www.vltor.com/images/mounts/SMQ-OE1-tn.jpg

I have that siderail you linked to...

Got the redfield sitting on top of it, nothing on the side though. I found that if i carry the rifle on a sling, that rail kinda has the habit of catching on clothing and flesh. not very comfy. I was actually thinking of putting one of the soft rubber rail covers on it.

I guess no one mounts anything on it because of this.

I suppose if you really wanted...

You can buy one of these..

http://www.leapers.c...T_978_PRO_1.jpg

slowly file off the top rail and use the side rail to mount your laser, and attach the pressure switch on your main pistol grip.

I was picturing it in my head and it even looks wierd...

Wouldn't your left arm get in the way?? (As a right handed shooter)

• 3 years later...

It would be interesting if someone incorporated it for stability in a top rail system. Maybe a full picatinny high-strength dust cover... Anything wrong with that idea?

Black Aces Tactical has a rail that attaches both to the barrel and the receiver side mount for extra rigidity. It works pretty well.

I watched a video where the Russian soldier put the lip of a beer bottle cap on the top of the rail and hit it with the palm of his hand just right....

It would be interesting if someone incorporated it for stability in a top rail system. Maybe a full picatinny high-strength dust cover... Anything wrong with that idea?

Black Aces Tactical has a rail that attaches both to the barrel and the receiver side mount for extra rigidity. It works pretty well.

WTF??????  That has to be the lamest "Tacticool" cr@p I have ever heard of! LOL  Rigidity for a 16 inch barrel?????? Hahahaha. 7 years military and 20+ years LEO (most of that as a training officer and firearms instructor) I can see NO practical use for that, except to fill their bank accounts...

Seriously, most of the time I don't even have the red dot and side mount on mine.  The less weight the better. This will be especially true after I do my restoration with Bulgarian AK74 wood furniture.  I thought of going Tapco furniture for light weight, but what the heck, I could throw my Saiga off the roof with the Bulgie wood furniture on it, and it won't even crack.  The AK platform is just too darn tough. 

I generally use a Factory 10 rounder in the weapon, because it is light and handy, but if I want a 30, I use a Tula "ridgeback" Bakelite mag.

Edited by imarangemaster