Best 9mm carry pistol?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most you will shit on me for this, But i really like my keltec pf9..the recoil is heavy, but it's ultra comfortable to carry under any clothes, and with +p ammo it's been 100%. I like the sub 300 pric

Heckler & Koch P7   As to why? Because to this day it remains an unsurpassed marvel of German engineering and refinement. (But indisputably it's damned heavy by today's standards. )    

1911 Colt 70 series Commander 9mm / 38 super. It's all metal, and it's a action is flawless. I may not have high cap mags, but I don't need 15+ rnds to do the job. With double taps I can take out 4 ba

Posted Images

CZ75 compact. First pistol I tried that actually pointed where I wanted it without fighting it (started at the little-bitty end of the pistol counter, and kept trying guns until I found one that fit).

Holds 14+1, but the full-size magazines fit just fine for 18+1. Little pricey ($500), little heavy (all-steel). Really nice shooting, though.

Glock 19.

It's what I consider a perfect sized pistol. 15+1 rounds in a compact frame. Durable. Affordable. Accurate. Huge aftermarket parts support. Eleventy billion holster options. Easy to work on. Has a rail, in case it goes from your holster to nightstand duty at the end of the day and you wanna slap a light on it.

I carry one in a CB Supertuck almost everyday.

That being said, I'm very aware that there's many great options in the 9mm carry department. While I'm partial to the Glock 19, I'd have no problem going with something else if for some reason a G19 was out of the question.

(AK Karl, where are you seeing the Stoegers for $399 with 4 mags? I've seen that price before, but I remember them coming with 2 mags. If I could find a package that came with 4 mags, I'd probably finally pull the trigger on one, since spare mags seem to be pricey)

Most you will shit on me for this, But i really like my keltec pf9..the recoil is heavy, but it's ultra comfortable to carry under any clothes, and with +p ammo it's been 100%. I like the sub 300 price tag too incase it should end up in police evidence locker someday. I won't be too broken up about not getting it back.

• Like 1

Most you will shit on me for this, But i really like my keltec pf9..the recoil is heavy, but it's ultra comfortable to carry under any clothes, and with +p ammo it's been 100%. I like the sub 300 price tag too incase it should end up in police evidence locker someday. I won't be too broken up about not getting it back.

i agree with all the above....been carrying one for over 3 yrs with no problems. i use the belt clip, extremely easy to conceal. 032.gif

Glock 19. Ditto on what -Shooter- said about it. I usually carry a G23 but carry the G19 if I feel like carrying a 9mm as my Supertuck fits both. My dealer has a smoking deal on Glocks if you are Military or LEO. I paid $409 each for my G19 and G23 and they both came with 3 high cap mags.

I've got a Kimber Solo for ccw. Takes some getting used to, but it's been reliable for me through about 500 rounds. Only thing not really right about it is that ccw weapons should be disposable on some level, in case they become evidence.

Looking forward to getting a couple 8 round extended mags that should be out later this week. Room for pinky should help with firing.

Edited by Koljec

While I like my G19 It bothers the hell out of me when I carry it. Crossbreed iwb holster and a good belt and I still cant get comfortable. Constantly adjusting my jeans. Its not the weight but the thickness of the Glock. I wish they would make their 9s thinner. Why do they have to be so square? On the other hand I absolutely love my S&W 5946. 40oz of stainless steel 9mm, thinner then the Glock and a lot more comfortable to carry. Still 15+1 and eats all ammo.

The question was "carry" and you can carry your 30 oz. 9mm all you want. I like the PF9 as it does the same thing at a much smaller and lighter package. If I want weight, I'd pack my .45 ACP's.

JMO

Frosty

Different strokes for different folks. Carrying a 19 is comfortable for me. Admittedly, it is bothersome for me is when sitting in hard wooden/plastic chairs. The weight though, has never been a problem. Good belt + good holster, makes weight a non-issue.

While I like my G19 It bothers the hell out of me when I carry it. Crossbreed iwb holster and a good belt and I still cant get comfortable. Constantly adjusting my jeans. Its not the weight but the thickness of the Glock. I wish they would make their 9s thinner. Why do they have to be so square? On the other hand I absolutely love my S&W 5946. 40oz of stainless steel 9mm, thinner then the Glock and a lot more comfortable to carry. Still 15+1 and eats all ammo.

At what position did you carry your 19? I carry mine at about 3:30/4:00, in the same holster as you. I adjusted the cant more forward than it came from Crossbreed.

Yes this is one reason I'm looking for something new for carry. I'm currently carrying either my G-17 or an Interarms UltraStar 9x19. The Star isn't bad really, and shoots as easy as the Glock, but still wiuld like something a little smaller if It's not too snappy. My Hungarian PA-63 is a great size for carry but surprisingly painful to shoot for such a small caliber (9x18).

Other reason I started this thread is, my gal is also carrying now, and is looking for something small (in 9mm), that can still be enjoyable enough to shoot and practice with. We are looking at the Ruger LC9 but I haven't shot one yet, and I'm a little concerned that it might be a little 'stinger' like my PA-63 she's currently carrying.

Any ideas?

Also have a friend with a Kahr 9mm, who might want to sell it. Not sure whether it's the CW9 or the PM9, but they both look like a pretty decent size carry pistol.

For me it's the Kahr CM9. It's pocketable, has a very nice smooth trigger and recoil is not bad for a gun weighing 1lb loaded! I had the Kel Tec pf9 previous and it isn't even in the same ballpark. PF9 was nice to carry but sucked to shoot IMO. The Kahr is about $100 more than the PF9 but the fit and finish is ALOT nicer. Previous to that I carried a Glock 19 and GLock 26, both where to big for me.

Other reason I started this thread is, my gal is also carrying now, and is looking for something small (in 9mm), that can still be enjoyable enough to shoot and practice with. We are looking at the Ruger LC9 but I haven't shot one yet, and I'm a little concerned that it might be a little 'stinger' like my PA-63 she's currently carrying.

Any ideas?

Also have a friend with a Kahr 9mm, who might want to sell it. Not sure whether it's the CW9 or the PM9, but they both look like a pretty decent size carry pistol.

The Solo is a stinger. Still worth test-firing, though.

Edited by Koljec

Glock 19.

It's what I consider a perfect sized pistol. 15+1 rounds in a compact frame. Durable. Affordable. Accurate. Huge aftermarket parts support. Eleventy billion holster options. Easy to work on. Has a rail, in case it goes from your holster to nightstand duty at the end of the day and you wanna slap a light on it.

I carry one in a CB Supertuck almost everyday.

That being said, I'm very aware that there's many great options in the 9mm carry department. While I'm partial to the Glock 19, I'd have no problem going with something else if for some reason a G19 was out of the question.

(AK Karl, where are you seeing the Stoegers for $399 with 4 mags? I've seen that price before, but I remember them coming with 2 mags. If I could find a package that came with 4 mags, I'd probably finally pull the trigger on one, since spare mags seem to be pricey)

ACADEMY

Yes this is one reason I'm looking for something new for carry. I'm currently carrying either my G-17 or an Interarms UltraStar 9x19. The Star isn't bad really, and shoots as easy as the Glock, but still wiuld like something a little smaller if It's not too snappy. My Hungarian PA-63 is a great size for carry but surprisingly painful to shoot for such a small caliber (9x18).

Any ideas?

if you can, go to a range that rents pistols

I carry the Ruger LCP 380. On occasion I carry my S&W M&P compact. The LCP is perfect for comfort. I part from many on the issue of what to carry on the basis of what the actual need to use that weapon is. Some want power and accuracy with plenty of ammo. I think in most cases of actually having to use the weapon it will be a very quick event not allowing for a lot of time to aim and it won't require many rounds. I also think it will be close quarters where point and shoot will do. If you are very far away you open up the question that you may have had the ability to flee. I know some that carry full size 1911 45's. I think that is more of an ego thing. I want something light and quick to pull and fire.

Hello, Cobra

Check out the Ruger SR9-C. It's not a "micro" gun, their LC9 fills that bill, and it's not a real pleasant shooter. The SR, however, is one of the most naturally-pointing and fun to shoot "mini" pistols I've found.

It's a single stack mag, so grip size is small, takes both 10 rounders for C/C and 17 rounders for range use. Fully ambi controls, external safety (if you like that sort of thing) and great three-dot sights.

I have not introduced this pistol to anybody, man or woman, who doesn't love it. It's one of my wife's favorite guns. Approx. $340-$350 street price gets you pistol and one of each mag's, plus different backstraps for the grip and floorplates for the mag's with/without pinkie rest.

It carries beautifully in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The magazine interlock can be easily removed.

I'd recommend you not buy until Racegal gives the SR9-C (make sure it's a "C") a whirl. Bet she likes it!

Respectfully posted,

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

Hello, Cobra

Check out the Ruger SR9-C. It's not a "micro" gun, their LC9 fills that bill, and it's not a real pleasant shooter. The SR, however, is one of the most naturally-pointing and fun to shoot "mini" pistols I've found.

It's a single stack mag, so grip size is small, takes both 10 rounders for C/C and 17 rounders for range use. Fully ambi controls, external safety (if you like that sort of thing) and great three-dot sights.

I have not introduced this pistol to anybody, man or woman, who doesn't love it. It's one of my wife's favorite guns. Approx. $340-$350 street price gets you pistol and one of each mag's, plus different backstraps for the grip and floorplates for the mag's with/without pinkie rest.

It carries beautifully in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The magazine interlock can be easily removed.

I'd recommend you not buy until Racegal gives the SR9-C (make sure it's a "C") a whirl. Bet she likes it!

Respectfully posted,

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

The SR9C is a double stack mag. That would be a crazy long mag if it was single stack.

What is your favorite? And why....

Heckler & Koch P7

As to why? Because to this day it remains an unsurpassed marvel of German engineering and refinement.

(But indisputably it's damned heavy by today's standards. biggrin.png )

post-4853-0-28705300-1329167817_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-61332100-1329167846_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

When it comes to cc at work I carry a Kahr CW9 in a crossbreed like holster. Sometimes I forget I have it. Very light and accurate. The PM9 was to small for me and more expansive. The CW uses a regular lands and grooves barrel. The PM uses a hoxigonal (sp?) barrel Ike the Glock. The only problems with Kahrs is they come in two favors, cherry or lemon. Most of the time they are good, reliable guns but when you get a bad one it's a bad one. No in between however, there are far more good ones.

M&Ps are nice. I have the 9 and 45 both full size. The 45 has the Apex upgrade package, stipling, and night sights. I traded my G21sf for it and never regretted it. But they are as bulky as Glock's.

Another gun to take a long hard look at are S&W P99 and the new Walther PPQs. Think of the PPQ as a cheaper H&K P30. Excellent ergonomics and reliable gun. Mags are a bit pricy still from Walther but the new production P99 mags fit (not the old ones) and if you don't want to mess with figuring out which is new and which is old then you can but the Magnum Research Fast Action pistol mags. S&W stopped production of the P99 and it was taken over by MR. MR fast action pistol is a P99 but uses the same exact mags as Walther PPQ but at $20 difference. The trigger is better then Glock, IMO, and has an awesome short reset. Priced about $500-$600

3rd gen steel Smiths are excellent but heavy. There are some models that have aluminum slides. And most have a mag release safety...if that bothers you it can be removed or look for ones that say "caution capable of firing with magazine removed". These guns are everywhere and usually about $300-$400. they also have a long and positive track record with police departments all over US and the world.

I don't need to repeat what others said about glock.

These are about the only ones I would take a long hard look at. To me, all others are just range toys or manufacturers jumping on a bandwagon.

Shooter I carry at about 8 o'clock posission. Basically about same as you but I'm a lefty.

These are about the only ones I'd take a good hard look at

Edited by Arik

My carry 9mm is a xd sub-compact. High cap. shoots great and very reliable. Price was right. I love it! If I owned any of the above I would probably say the same. I like the Kahrs but they have a heavy trigger pull. The xd is like a glock with an extra safety. Ramble over.

Edit: Springfield definently jumped on the wagon.

Edited by Yoshi

I would say a Sig P226 for a true 9mmm mine has never had a malfunction in over 2k rounds....now if your open to any 9mm/.38/.357 caliber round I would go for a Ruger SP101 in .357mag. I used to carry the Sig and now the SP101 goes with me every where. The revolver will go bang every time and just in case it doesn't squeeze again, that should do it for ya.

Any ideas?

Haven't noticed any stinging with the CZ, but it *is* bigger than what you have been looking at. The smaller pistols just didn't fit my hand right.

If I was buying a gun for the lady, I'd take her to the store and start at one end of the pistol counter until you have 4-5 that feel good, then see if there are some available to rent at the range to try out.