Best 9mm carry pistol?

EAA Witness compact (older small frame version)

All steel, which I prefer. Super comfortable in the hand and the holster. Shoots where you point it. Ultra dependable. 10rd mag should be plenty, but I have 30 rounders if I need em!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most you will shit on me for this, But i really like my keltec pf9..the recoil is heavy, but it's ultra comfortable to carry under any clothes, and with +p ammo it's been 100%. I like the sub 300 pric

Heckler & Koch P7   As to why? Because to this day it remains an unsurpassed marvel of German engineering and refinement. (But indisputably it's damned heavy by today's standards. )    

1911 Colt 70 series Commander 9mm / 38 super. It's all metal, and it's a action is flawless. I may not have high cap mags, but I don't need 15+ rnds to do the job. With double taps I can take out 4 ba

Posted Images

I looked into .380 ACP chambered options when I was first looking to CCW, and I never determined that I could be confident enough in the round. None of the available loads I found provided a good combination of penetration and expansion. The Hornady XTP and old Hydra-shoks came closest, but even then, why carry a .380 when there are other similar sized handgun choices in loadings that perform better?

I went with a Kahr PM9. They seem to be hit or miss reliability wise; there are plenty of accounts of both good and bad user experiences with them, but mine has run without issue, so I have no complaints in that regard. Quite accurate for a small gun.

How about the Walther PPS? Single stack 9mm, lightweight, thinner than the Glock 26, and German reliability.

because there aren't similar sized 9x19 guns yet. Have you held a p3at, a Ruger LCP or a Taurus TCP? IMO the size is ideal, and with newer Corbon and Hornady loads the power is adequate. These are way smaller than guns like the Kahr 9. They are pretty cheap for the quality and features too. They are good shooting, controllable, reliable , and they fit in a pocket holster smaller than some wallets. The TCP is at the top of my wishlist. If they offered it in 9mm and not more than a half inch bigger, I would take that instead.

As for what the guy said about cocking the keltec baby guns-- I have to agree. When they were new, I played with a bunch of Keltec p32s at a gun store. All brand new just different colors. To my amazement, some were almost too stiff for me to cock without risking having my hand slip off the slide, and others were easy. That shocked me for quality and consistency reasons, and also because lots of these end up as purse guns, and most women I know would have trouble cocking the ones I used. I know I wouldn't want to count on by ability to do that with sweat or bloody hands. Therefore, I would only want the ruger or taurus copies.

This is always a pretty hotly debated topic and I appreciate all the input here. Still haven't decided on one for Racegal's carry pistol quite yet, but it's good to have so much to look at before making a decision. Right now the PA 63 has been fine, but not all that fun to shoot, so we're looking for a nice balance between carry comfort, and actual shooting comfort while practicing. More than likely gonna at least grab a little .22 mag derringer or something similar, to serve as an easily concealed carry, even when wearing very light clothing.

I use the Sig P238 as a concealed in light clothing. I've carried it in the pocket of my basketball shorts with a T-shirt and flip flops. I really don't think one could get more performance in such a small, reliable, and lightweight package...

If I may ask, why so fixed on 9mm?

After looking at/testing many different options my wife chose a lightweight 38 snubby and absolutely loves it. Plus she out-shot most the guys in our ccw course with it(which put a smile on my face)

Well some of reasons the 9mm is more attractive to her, she's used to my G-17 and it's the first pistol she ever shot, she feels comfortable with the recoil of the round, we could share ammo, the 9mm is proven to be plenty of power, you can fit a lot of rounds in the mag compared to heavier calibers, and a big reason for 9mm over the .38 is, she wants a semi auto... not a revolver. Just a preference thing.... There are a lot of choices for semi auto 9's.

The Kahr is a very nice gun for its size and power @~$600. The LCP/TCP is just such a winner for <$300, that she should really try one. If she jogs or anything it has so little weight or bulk flopping around you could forget you have it.

Any chance you can get her to a gun store with a range that lets her try before she buys? Pistols are such a personal choice that she should really pick her own from a list of reliable options.

Yeah we have a local place but their selection isn't that great and to use the range you have to buy their ammo and pay their hi rental fees...etc. IMO they should let people run a few guns to try them out, if they are a serious buyer, and if the person does actually purchase one, either waive the rental and a certain # of rounds, or apply it towards the purchase price. Or at least waive the rental and let the customer bring in their own ammo, as long as it's factory loaded ammo.

• Like 1

As of just a few minutes ago I gave my son my old G19 for my daughter-in-law to use as her conceal carry. Seeing how I love them both and the granddaughter that speaks pretty loudly that I have a lot of faith in that gun.

Added:

Something to consider is realistically how far would be longest shot, at roughly what size target ,in what kind of lighting someone would use the gun in a panic during a defensive situation. Unless you figure 50 yards, at a postage stamp, in broad daylight, with a shooting bench just get something that’s completely reliable and easy to use.

Edited by 20-Mags

Well some of reasons the 9mm is more attractive to her, she's used to my G-17 and it's the first pistol she ever shot, she feels comfortable with the recoil of the round, we could share ammo, the 9mm is proven to be plenty of power, you can fit a lot of rounds in the mag compared to heavier calibers, and a big reason for 9mm over the .38 is, she wants a semi auto... not a revolver. Just a preference thing.... There are a lot of choices for semi auto 9's.

Cobra since you live near me I will give you a tip, lawmans police supply in raleigh has smith and wesson M&P 9c for 440 bucks out the door with three mags, and I have yet too find anyone who can out shoot me with this pistol and thats against tuned 1911's shooting at 4 inch steel at 30+ yards.

All good answers! I was just curious...big_smile.gif

How does a German Police Sig P6 sound? About the price of a Kahr, single stack, 9 mm, built like tanks (This is the real Sig Sauer not the Sig USA crap). They are a bit on the heavy side for a single stack but its all steel.