Sign in to follow this  
lewie212

545 bulgy brakes

Difference is in the shape/style of the laser cuts in the front of the brake, which redirect gas forward onto the baffle to reduce felt recoil. Zig-zag as the name implies is a zig-zag cut in a straigt line on both sides of the brake. Half-moon is a curved single-line cut. There isn't a functionality difference that I'm aware of. Zigzag brakes are an earlier style. Most later brakes used the half-moon cuts.

Also zig-zag brakes are typically short-collar brakes, while most half-moon are long-collar. This is the threaded collar area. Again, doesn't make any difference that I know of, but some want the correct era/appearance.

Edited by mancat

Difference is in the shape/style of the laser cuts in the front of the brake, which redirect gas forward onto the baffle to reduce felt recoil. Zig-zag as the name implies is a zig-zag cut in a straigt line on both sides of the brake. Half-moon is a curved single-line cut. There isn't a functionality difference that I'm aware of. Zigzag brakes are an earlier style. Most later brakes used the half-moon cuts.

Also zig-zag brakes are typically short-collar brakes, while most half-moon are long-collar. This is the threaded collar area. Again, doesn't make any difference that I know of, but some want the correct era/appearance.

Thank you for the information.

Greatly appreciated.

-Dan

Greatly appreciated.