New Saiga Owner; Legality Questions...Live in VA

Hey all,

I have been reading over the 922 issues and I am confused. I need help to understand what I can and need to modify on my new Saiga to make it legal. Below is a picture of the Saiga I bought this past weekend....I had them add the quad rails while I was there. It came with a 5 round mag but they also gave me a 10 round mag.

my new babygirl

I want to make sure it is legal so I need to know what I need to do to it... Last night I ordered this Tapco Intrafuse stock set which I understand is fine because it was made in USA?.... below is link

http://dpharms.com/p...28black~29.html

as well as this Phantom flash hider which was also made in USA? ....below is link

http://dpharms.com/p...lash_hider.html

so once I recieve those and change out the butt factory stock and put on the Intrafuse then add the flash hider, how many imported parts will I have and are there any others that I need to modify? I am a newbie and I need clarifications because I am all paranoid now about legality issues. I really appreciate it everyone :)

--Amanda

Congrats on your new Saiga!

Stock gives you 1 part, USA made magazine 3 parts, handguard - 1 part (make sure it's made in the USA though) and flash hider is 1 part also. You have 9 foreign parts. Should be legal. Just make sure you don't use factory magazine.

If you are planning to do full conversion that will give you 3-4 more compliant parts (FCG and gas puc/piston). Follow this link to verify http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/31710-922r-compliance-automatic-checklist/

your gun can only have 10 foreign parts, here's a check list for a standard ak, uncheck each part you have replaced with a us made part and add 1 to your total since a saiga 12 has a separate op rod and gas piston http://thegunwiki.co...erifyCompliance also uncheck any part your gun does not have (pistol grip) from your picture it looks like you need to replace one part like a muzzle device or gas puck to be compliant

Edited by Russian Hammer

Lots of info and links here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72849-parts-count-for-saiga-12-has-changed/page__p__710101__hl__+922r%20+parts%20+count__fromsearch__1#entry710101

Once u use the 10 mag or anything not stock out of the box you need to be 922r compliant. Which in a nut shell is having less than 10 russian/improrted parts on it (from my understanding)

did you buy it at the gun show in chantilly last weekend? It was crazy busy

Yes I did!! I have wanted a Saiga for a long time and "Gary's Guns & Transfers" had one at their stand and it was too hard to pass up. I am just stressed out now because I want to make sure it is compliant.

Congrats on your new Saiga!

Stock gives you 1 part, USA made magazine 3 parts, handguard - 1 part (make sure it's made in the USA though) and flash hider is 1 part also. You have 9 foreign parts. Should be legal. Just make sure you don't use factory magazine.

If you are planning to do full conversion that will give you 3-4 more compliant parts (FCG and gas puc/piston). Follow this link to verify http://forum.saiga-1...atic-checklist/

Alright I guess I am just going to have to check when I get home that the 10 round mag is USA made and also check the quad rails (which is handguard I assume) to make sure it is US made... other than that, when I recieve and put on the Tapco stock set and flash hider I attached links to above I should be straight, right?

The 10rd mag you have looks like a Pro Mag which equals 3 US parts.

AFAIK, There is only one foreign magazine thats not a factory Russian piece and that is the "MaxRounds" drum. All other magazines available for the S12 aside from those 3 are US made like SGM, AGP, MDArms, ProMag. I could be mistaken but i dont recall any other (mass produced) magazines available for the S12.

Edit, i just remembered the knock off of factory 5rd mags, those are foreign as well.

Common sensus is dont use a magazine as part of your compliance parts count. As soon as that factory 5 goes into the gun, you are now illegal.

Edited by Mullet Man

Thanks for advice everyone....

well, I ordered the Tapco stock set already and my friend has it on his and really likes it so I think I am going to put it on. I am concerned about 922 compliance issues though.... Since mine is threaded barrel I understand I have 14 foreign parts....

Therefore ....with new Tapco stock set on it, flash hider that i put link to above (US made) and a US made 10 round mag then I should be at 9 foreign parts and compliant with 922? I also had US made quad rails put on upon purchase. I am unsure if those count for something.

Someone let me know if I am set.

The 10rd mag you have looks like a Pro Mag which equals 3 US parts.

AFAIK, There is only one foreign magazine thats not a factory Russian piece and that is the "MaxRounds" drum. All other magazines available for the S12 aside from those 3 are US made like SGM, AGP, MDArms, ProMag. I could be mistaken but i dont recall any other (mass produced) magazines available for the S12.

Edit, i just remembered the knock off of factory 5rd mags, those are foreign as well.

Common sensus is dont use a magazine as part of your compliance parts count. As soon as that factory 5 goes into the gun, you are now illegal.

.----noticed your edit

Edited by TapeWorm3

You will be good AS LONG AS you ONLY use American made mags. If you decide to pop the old Russian 5 rounder back in, due to the changed stock, it's no longer "sporting" and you'll be non-compliant once again.

Just something to point out though, there hasn't been one case of 922r non-compliance charges brought up against anyone to date... I'm not saying to be non-compliant on purpose, I'm just saying that it's incredibly hard to prove in court if you popped the old Russian 5 rounder in it in that configuration unless of course it's in pictures or video...

I like the fact that you chose to go flash hider instead of puck. It shows that you don't want to screw with what already works, until you find out if it works.nothing.gif