If I wanted to do a ghost ring or really any other front sight on my Saiga 12, I have a question and need some math help.

if the front sight is raised by a certain amount (say "x"), does the rear sight raise by a the same value "x", or is it a variable?

Is their a formula specific to a Saiga 12 to calculate this?

I want to keep the sight length the same, just maybe raise the front sight.

Does this make sense?

This may have been answered before, but I cannot locate an exacting answer.

Thanks!

Not for nuthin', the ghost ring usually is a rear sight.

"Ghost rings

The ghost ring sight is considered by some to be the fastest type of aperture sight.[neutrality is disputed] It is fairly accurate, easy to use, and obscures the target less than nearly all other non-optical sights. Because of this, ghost ring sights are commonly installed on combat shotguns and sub-machine guns (and to a much lesser extent, rifles). The ghost ring is a fairly recent innovation, and differs from traditional aperture sights in the extreme thinness of the rear ring, and the slightly thicker front sight. The thin ring minimizes the occlusion of the target, while the thicker front post makes it easy to find quickly.

A ghost ring can also take form of a tube ranging from 3–6 cm long, with the post mounted at the inside end of the tube. This type of ghost ring is used when there can be no front sight at the front end of the barrel. It is slightly slower to use, because the shooter's eye has to focus close on the post, then focus on the target. However, in situations when extremely fast sighting is required, the shooter can simply look through the tube, and it is simple to see if the view is straight down the tube."

Quoted from.... http://en.wikipedia....ing#Ghost_rings

There are sights with a ring on the front, but that is usually to protect the front sight post, like the ears on an AR or AK or like the ring on an SKS.

Edited by Yeoldetool

Not for nuthin', the ghost ring usually is a rear sight.

"Ghost rings

There are sights with a ring on the front, but that is usually to protect the front sight post, like the ears on an AR or AK or like the ring on an SKS.

Yeah, that is kind of what I was meaning by Ghost ring, a tube around the front sight. Sorry about my misidentification of the term I was looking for. Again, my aplogies.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Edited by armory

Yeah, that is kind of what I was meaning by Ghost ring, a tube around the front sight. Sorry about my misidentification of the term I was looking for. Again, my aplogies.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

No offense taken.

As far as a formula to figure out the sight height, I don't know of one. A micrometer to measure the existing sight height would be a good starting point. Or, just go with sights that are available from the forum vendors that are S12 specific. There are several options. Some examples........

http://store.carolin...SAIGA-12/Detail

http://store.carolin...a-Sights/Detail

http://www.dinzagarm..._12/fsbs12.html

http://ramsfs.com/rams12sights.aspx

Edited by Yeoldetool

When you say "the front sight is raised", do you mean the sight post in relation to the rear sight, or the entire sight block in relation to the rear sight?

Raising (or lowering) the sight post, is for elevation purposes.

I understand elevation, this is just so it is the same as what the stock "settings" are.

I have Something on the drawing board, and it will be a little higher than what is stock. Do I adjust the rear to match exactly is basically my question in nutshell.

When you say "the front sight is raised", do you mean the sight post in relation to the rear sight, or the entire sight block in relation to the rear sight?

Raising (or lowering) the sight post, is for elevation purposes.

I understand elevation, this is just so it is the same as what the stock "settings" are.

I have Something on the drawing board, and it will be a little higher than what is stock. Do I adjust the rear to match exactly is basically my question in nutshell.

You will have to keep the front sight and rear sight heights in relationship to bore axis as they are now or the line of sight in relationship to bore axis will change, also changing Point Of Impact.

If your front sight is higher than the rear sight the POI will be low. This picture is the basically how sight height affects POI. It works the same for a long gun as it does for a handgun.

sightheightdiangram.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1

If you are replacing one sight and there is a difference in height from the one you take off, the other sight needs to raise or lower the exact same amount.

That way they will still point to the same place.