This weekend at the range, I let fun time get in the way of paying 100% attention to what Exactly I was doing. I thought I was just having fun doing a few 30 round mag dumps with my AR. What I was Actually doing was melting my shooting bag to the barrel of the rifle.

Bummer.

Now there is a hole in the bag for all the corn meal filling to pour out of, AND there is melted vinyl on the rifle. I have no idea how to remove this stuff. Goo-gone won't put a dent in it, nor will other standard cleaners. I fear that scraping this stuff off may be the only option, but I don't want to scratch the gun all to hell.

I am looking for suggestions on how to remove this....

post-16191-0-13203200-1329265085_thumb.jpg

This weekend at the range, I let fun time get in the way of paying 100% attention to what Exactly I was doing. I thought I was just having fun doing a few 30 round mag dumps with my AR. What I was Actually doing was melting my shooting bag to the barrel of the rifle.

Bummer.

Now there is a hole in the bag for all the corn meal filling to pour out of, AND there is melted vinyl on the rifle. I have no idea how to remove this stuff. Goo-gone won't put a dent in it, nor will other standard cleaners. I fear that scraping this stuff off may be the only option, but I don't want to scratch the gun all to hell.

I am looking for suggestions on how to remove this....

Heat gun. Wipe off. Use goo gone to get the leftover film.

• Like 2

shoot it til it gets hot again and wipe it off with a towel. just dont use the shooting bag this time. plus it gives you another excuse to go shooting again!

but in reality if that dont work, then a heat gun might be the better option to be safest on your finish. i cant say for other aggressive cleaners.

at work we use a chemical we call MPK which is some fancy chemistry word for keytone or nail polish remover.

it melts plastic really well.

You mean MEK. methyl ethyl ketone

Rob, I second a good heat gun. ETA: Or go shoot the shit out of it again like Hero said.

Edited by MT Predator

at work we use a chemical we call MPK which is some fancy chemistry word for keytone or nail polish remover.

You mean MEK. methyl ethyl ketone

Rob, I second a good heat gun. ETA: Or go shoot the shit out of it again like Hero said.

We don't use MEK anymore ... MPK is slightly safer but still dangerous. methyl propal ketone or something like that

Methyl Propyl Ketone... Nasty shit, but it will take the round, not just the shine, off a bowling ball. It's not as fast-acting as Methyl Ethyl Ketone, but it's not as toxic, either. You can find either MPK or MEK at a home depot in the paint section.

Minimum PPE is a paint mask with VOC cartidges and NITRILE gloves. MEK/MPK dissolves latex pretty much instantly, and goes through your skin just as fast.

And learn to put the gun forearm in your hand, and your hand on the bag. Barrel should not be on anything.

You are 100% correct, Sir! I knew better, but stopped paying close attention to what was on what. A total Rookie move on my part.

I guess I haven't done anything stupid at the range in a long time, so I was due for a "Rookie move".

I instantly felt like an idiot.

A leather bag cover will be coming to the range next weekend.

It will also make a topcoat of paint dry QUICKLY!! (When used as thinner for the paint) anger.gif Edited by unclejake

I used to mix industrial paints that used MEK as a thinner. Nasty stuff and it'd probably strip the finish on the gun right quick. When you are using some sort of paint thinner to try and strip something it's always better to start on the weaker end, like mineral spirits, and work your way up until you get something that will do what you want. MEK is the top end and should only be used as the last resort if you are willing to go over the top, unless whatever you are doing specifically calls for it. Use in a well ventilated area, outside if you can, people walking in the paint store would be staggered by the fumes if you had been using the stuff (with the employees completely unaware and unable to smell the fumes). Paint stores are designed with emergency ventilation, sheds and garages usually aren't. You also need a decent pair of gloves designed to handle strong chemicals like this, it can be absorbed through the skin and will eat through gloves of the wrong material.

It will make paint dry quick, but if you really want fast use Naphta, thats what road lines are mixed with and the good stuff dries in only a couple of minutes.