Saiga12 with interchangeable smooth/rifled barrels

Im going to school for CAD design/machinist. What do you guys think about a S12 with a solid machined reciver that would be able to easily change barrels from a smooth bore to a rifled one? With that you would also be able to switch out barrels to make a SBS. The reciver would be machined from a solid piece instead of being riveted together. The bolt and carrier, FCG, safety, gas puck and regulator(v-plug ect..) would be interchangeable also.

Another idea would be to machine a new gas block that, instead of being pined to the barrel, would clamp on to the barrel with rails on the top for a flip up sight of ones choice, or an intergrated HK style sight.

Hell, why not go all "mall ninja" and make a quad rail gas block for sights(top), grips(bottom), lights/lasers(sides)....lol

I thought of this in class today and wanted to see what you all thought....and I didnt search so if this is a repeat I am sorry

I'm down with the whole idea, a completely machined receiver means no 922r, and I'd LOVE a rifled barreled S-12... rails, eh, whatever, I only need two, one on the left for the light and one on the bottom for the VFG and my new Phoenix fore-grip more than serves that purpose. One could also have an AOW S-12...

Like I said, I'm down with the whole idea, let me know if I can help...

Well Im glad you like it.

Im not a class3 or whatever you need to be able to make a gun(reciver) but I could draw up some plans. The gas block I could do though! All I really need are good tech drawings of the dimetions of both the reciver and gas block. If i can't find any I'll just make my own.

I like the gas block idea because those of you that have gas ports that are covered by the block would be able to move the block to uncover them. Then guys wouldnt have to spend alot of money to make thier S12 reliable just change out a part that would also count for your 922r.

Hell, if you bought the reciver and barrel(s) you would just have to visit CSS to buy the rest of the gun. Im not sure but that should make 922r irrelevant.

We did a quick change barrel setup for the Saiga a few years ago, but dropped the idea since there weren't any spare barrels around. It doesn't do you much good to have a switch barrel gun, if you don't have a second barrel to switch over to.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 1

We did a quick change barrel setup for the Saiga a few years ago, but dropped the idea since there weren't any spare barrels around. It doesn't do you much good to have a switch barrel gun, if you don't have a second barrel to switch over to.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Make the barrel?

Make it like a Winchester shotgun(upside down), Barrel held in buy the gas plug.

I'll have to look at that.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud, if possible I'd make a quick change set up like used on an Uzi barrel if you have the equipment and ability. Possibly just a retrofit part that could be installed into a bored out front trunion and find a common 12ga barrel that you could install a ring on for the barrel nut to tighten against? Good luck.

A smaller example would be the Uzi trunion I mated inside this AK74 trunion in 9mm. I've got a pic in my recent sale thread, part #34, that shows what the Uzi trunion looks like (could be a mini Uzi trunion?, both the same more or less-I think the I.D. is different). Might give you a idea as far as fabrication on a retrofit.

post-1866-0-34090000-1329360918.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

Make the barrel?

BRILLIANT! I wonder why we didn't think of that?

An intellect such as yours obviously doesn't require advise from people who've done it before; you should just start building guns immediately so we can all get the full effect of your genius.

A shotgun barrel is not just a machined tube, it is hammer forged so it is not just a matter of milling a tube in a lathe. But at some point I think someone will make them if they can make a profit on them after the start-up costs.

P2A gave you a great hint here. Also, the market for this device is extremely limited.

When Tony announced the prototype was for sale it took awhile to find a buyer. Of course, if you make a thread about it here, dozens of people will chime in with interest. I liked the idea the first time I saw it 6 years ago, but seriously it's a limited market.

And rifled 12 Gage barrel is expensive. Good luck.

Make the barrel?

An intellect such as yours obviously doesn't require advise from people who've done it before; you should just start building guns immediately so we can all get the full effect of your genius.

A shotgun barrel is not just a machined tube, it is hammer forged so it is not just a matter of milling a tube in a lathe. But at some point I think someone will make them if they can make a profit on them after the start-up costs.

P2A gave you a great hint here. Also, the market for this device is extremely limited.

When Tony announced the prototype was for sale it took awhile to find a buyer. Of course, if you make a thread about it here, dozens of people will chime in with interest. I liked the idea the first time I saw it 6 years ago, but seriously it's a limited market.

It's advice, not advise.

Wow, with everyone downing on anyone else's ideas it's a wonder anyone tries to actually think outside the box anymore.

I'm sure there's a certain someone on this forum who was told, "You can't build siamese AR's, it'll never work..."

Geez, let him figure some of this shit out on his own guys, sure, offer up some helpful hints but don't drag the guy down, I mean hell, Tony himself had to start somewhere...

If rifled 12 gauge barrels are so expensive, how come I can buy a rifled Mossberg barrel for less than $200??? I'm sure that there's some kind of shotgun out there that has decently priced rifled barrels that could be modified to fit.

Hell, my Dad and I put a motorcycle engine in a golf cart and it worked (it was the brakes that we didn't think about...) plus we built this:

I'm sure someone else could figure something out if they were so inclined/motivated...

• Like 1

Make the barrel?

Yeah well Im sorry you couldnt get it right but that doesnt mean you have to be an ASS! Like Caged said you could probably get a 12ga barrel and get it to fit. Im not saying its easy but i was wanting adviCe from people to see how realistic this was, not people being ASSES just because it didnt work for them 6 years ago. Alot can change in 6 years brother. Also did you see the "?" at the end of that statment? I'll give you a hint...that means it was a question and not a smart ass remark. If i was trying to be a smart ass i wouldve put a "LOL" at the end to show I was being smart/joking.

Aside from the barrels I do think I'll be able to do the gas block....or did you try that too?...LOL(now Im being a smart ass)

Start with a GB, and go for whatever you want to do! Doing one off pieces is how you learn. First you need to get good at what you do, and that takes a few 'failures'. The only way to know what you can do is to try!

As for the sniping on Internet forums- NON CARBORUNDUM EST (don't let the bastards wear you down).

Make the barrel?

Yeah well Im sorry you couldnt get it right but that doesnt mean you have to be an ASS! Like Caged said you could probably get a 12ga barrel and get it to fit. Im not saying its easy but i was wanting adviCe from people to see how realistic this was, not people being ASSES just because it didnt work for them 6 years ago. Alot can change in 6 years brother. Also did you see the "?" at the end of that statment? I'll give you a hint...that means it was a question and not a smart ass remark. If i was trying to be a smart ass i wouldve put a "LOL" at the end to show I was being smart/joking.

Aside from the barrels I do think I'll be able to do the gas block....or did you try that too?...LOL(now Im being a smart ass)

I guess if you did a search you could have found the thread(s) describing our successful build, There's nothing at all to building this thing.

Don't bother trying that passive-aggressive shit now. The comment "Make a barrel?" was snarky and everyone knows it. My personal opinion is that if you were capable of doing this build you wouldn't need adviCe.

That's my tough love for you. Now get out there and prove me wrong

King's Armory said barrels were on the way when I emailed him couple of weeks back......

Keep your fingers crossed......barrel availability problem may be solved!

They've been saying that since they were business members. I wouldn't hold my breath.

King's Armory said barrels were on the way when I emailed him couple of weeks back......

They've been saying that since they were business members. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Can't a boy have a dream!!

Make the barrel?

I guess if you did a search you could have found the thread(s) describing our successful build, There's nothing at all to building this thing.

Don't bother trying that passive-aggressive shit now. The comment "Make a barrel?" was snarky and everyone knows it. My personal opinion is that if you were capable of doing this build you wouldn't need adviCe.

That's my tough love for you. Now get out there and prove me wrong

i don't think he was trying to be snarky, he obviously dosn't know how to do any of this stuff yet, that's why he's going to school for it

• Like 1

Make the barrel?

Wow, that was a little much. The guy is asking legitimate questions about something he's excited about, calm down. You know as well as most people this search engine is not the best, and doesn't always lead you to what you're looking for (Your other post), even using google. Since you have the knowledge to help people due to your business experience, you could pass that info along instead of looking like Tony's guard dog every time someone responds to his post.

• Like 5

Can't a boy have a dream!!

Sure Disney will sell you one of those.

maybe approaching this one step at a time would be a better option? ie make several prototypes each a little more complicated than the last, that way you get a few small problems to solve each time rather than dozens

try fitting a rifled blank to a saiga 12

using an existing S12 make a new front trunion with a quick change barrel option

machine up a complete receiver ,fit existing S12 parts to it.

each completed prototype can be sold off to pay for the next step, you learn from each one and the final model can incorperate all good features of the prototypes.

people like you are the future of the industry, dont listen to anybody who says it wont work, wont sell, wont look cool, whatever! build it for yourself, learn from it, make it better the next time.

DO IT!

• Like 2

Make the barrel?

Uncalled for, sarcastic, and extremely arrogant. What was the point. I suppose you'll jump in my shit, too, but I really don't give a fuck.

OP sorry for the temporary hi-jack.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1