Keeping muzzle brake on the barrel

So I threaded (14x1) my barrel and then put a slant brake on it. I secured it in place using a crush washer from CSS. The crush washer is just a little bigger than the threads and therefore it just slips on and off the threads.

Today at the range the slant brake unscrewed a couple of turns after some magazines.

How do I keep the muzzle device on without changing out the front sight block, without putting any kinds of loctite/glue on the threads?

Are crush washers supposed to screw on and off of threads, or just slip on and off?

Once I get a press I will simply change out the front sight and then use the pin to keep the brake in place, but I need something to do until then.

Sounds like you did not have the brake tight enough.

I know you want it clocked right, I had to make mine a bit thiner to get the brake right.

Exactly. I had a little more space to turn, but I wanted it looking right. Perhaps I will simply slap a birdcage on it for now, msking sure to go all the way.

I would still like to know more about the crush washer, though. Is it supposed to screw on and off, or just slip on? I recall reading somewhere that you are supposed to time the muzzle attachement by turning it and the crush washer against eachother. I cant exactly do this if the washer simply goes over the threads.

File or sand the crush washer and muzzel brake a little at a time till you get it indexed correctly with a tight fit. A crush washer is designed to "crush" a little. Go ahead and use some loktite. You can still remove it later by heating the loktite.

An easy way to do it is to wrap some fine sandpaper around a small piece of a 2x4 and lightly rub your washer or slantbreak across it to remove material evenly. This works well for me, I just fit a slantbreak with crushwasher yesterday and it is rock solid and indexed correctly. I did have to file a groove in the washer with a small round file to allow the plunger to pass through. I realize you have no plunger but I'm just sharing my experience. GL

So I threaded (14x1) my barrel and then put a slant brake on it. I secured it in place using a crush washer from CSS. The crush washer is just a little bigger than the threads and therefore it just slips on and off the threads.

Today at the range the slant brake unscrewed a couple of turns after some magazines.

How do I keep the muzzle device on without changing out the front sight block, without putting any kinds of loctite/glue on the threads?

Are crush washers supposed to screw on and off of threads, or just slip on and off?

Once I get a press I will simply change out the front sight and then use the pin to keep the brake in place, but I need something to do until then.

FYI you do not need a press to change out the front sight base. Take a look at classy's thread that Is stickied in the 5.45 section. Not difficult at all

Got a clear pic of the set-up?

Might work here, but my cousin has had to use 2 crush washers stacked before to get a brake to index on an AR. If you use loctite(I know yoiu said you weren't), get the blue. I's a good bond, but can be broken without heating. I use blue on all my scope rings to keep the band screws from working loose, but can loosen them with a screwdriver and a good twist if need be.