Chaos x39 quad rail review, Im pretty happy

So I got my new chaos rail today. Its nice and solid, but there are a couple quirks. Heres some thoughts.

Looks:

It looks great, and feels really nice in my hand, no sharp edges at all.

It looks way nicer from the front than I thought. The gap between the gas tube and upper is very small. Large gap in the back, but still, not bad.

Quirks:

it didnt want to fit the receiver, so I filed the piece until it did. Maybe its because mines a 2002 saiga, who knows, but it wasnt a real big deal. Only a hair off.

The top rail is just a hair off center, maybe 1/32", but noticable. I dont think it will affect an optic, I dont think. Ive tried a couple things, including installing by the directions, and still a tiny bit crooked. Maybe its my rifle.

Review: This is a good looking rail, but for 125shipped, I wish It was straight. Like, dead nuts straight, and it isnt. I doubt anyone else will notice but me. Im happy with everything but that. This thing is bad ass and so much better than the factory HG. At least I dont have to buy a 50dollar handguard retainer.

I give it an A-

Also, if anyone knows how to correct that top rail tilt, Im all ears.

post-31894-0-34360900-1329367285_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-51709200-1329367593_thumb.jpg

First pic, weird lighting and fingerprints.

Second pic, half of wifes magazine.

Oh yea, does anyone know what to do with that little cross pin? Should I drive it out, or cut it?

post-31894-0-19527400-1329367825_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-56749700-1329368062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42

AKs have enough variation in them that I'd try it on another rifle before I assumed it was the rail that was the issue.

I dont think the rail is the issue. Like you said, there is variation. I just thought it was worth noting. Edited by Boomsick42

what's the weight like?

there are a decent amount of people reporting that they need to file or fit the rail. Of course there are a lot of slight variations to different Saigas even made in the same year, so . . .

since the rail is short, the weight is all back towards the receiver. Its balances out very nicely. And the fitting wasnt too bad, Id rather file aluminum than steel anyday.

Anyhow, we talked about this rail and the MI rail. The one thing that made me go for this one is how it looks in the front. When you go to the MI website, and look at the saiga specific rail, it looks like shit from the front. It is almost completely open ended. But this one looks nice.

I swapped out gas tubes to make the look more natural and get rid of the gaps. The fit and finish is amazing on these. No sharp edges and just a natural sex appeal to it. I have one on my 5.45 and an extra one waiting for my 7.62x39 to be finished curing (Alumahyde II OD Green)

I don't think the following idea will correct it being off center but may for the tilt. You could try adding small aluminum shims (like from pop cans) to the side that is low and see if you can add enough that it is level to the barrel.

I had no problems fitting mine. The only filing needed were the tabs on the front retainer,if you don't have a slotted barrel. The two set screws on the bottom, up to the barrel, should be the final mounting. I recommend some blue loctite, like a dummy I did not and lost a cap screw that attaches the lower to upper rail firet time out (#6-32 x1/4 stainless at Home Depot). Agree with OP balance is very good, fit and finish excellent. Have about 400 rounds with handguard on,no problems. Saiga is 2006 7.62x39..

I don't think the following idea will correct it being off center but may for the tilt. You could try adding small aluminum shims (like from pop cans) to the side that is low and see if you can add enough that it is level to the barrel.

Im going to look into it tonight. I think the receiver, where the rear tab bolts on, may be slightly bent. I may try to bend it back. A shim is a good idea too, Ill have to check it out when I get a minute. I work too much. Edited by Boomsick42

I swapped out gas tubes to make the look more natural and get rid of the gaps. The fit and finish is amazing on these. No sharp edges and just a natural sex appeal to it. I have one on my 5.45 and an extra one waiting for my 7.62x39 to be finished curing (Alumahyde II OD Green)

I ordered an ak gas tube and it should be here soon. Im glad to hear some positive feed back. Im just gonna have to see how it fits in there.

Yea, I have to say, this thing is very nice. I also like how its a bigger grip than the factory hg. Im definately happy to have it, Ive been waiting for months to be able to spend the money.

Edited by Boomsick42

Now with normal ak gas tube. It fills up that space very nicely. I cant say that it mates 'perfectly' with the upper hg retaining bracket, but it looks pretty damn good. It looks better with the ak tube, but really didnt look bad with the saiga factory tube.

two more

post-31894-0-58642300-1329523142_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-05100100-1329523231_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-73299200-1329523302_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-48018500-1329523369_thumb.jpg

Oh yea, does anyone know what to do with that little cross pin? Should I drive it out, or cut it?

Is that the Latrobe Bulletin? If so, we may be neighbors!

Nice rifle BTW! I think it looks better with the normal AK gas tube.

Edited by rocketfoot

Is that the Latrobe Bulletin? If so, we may be neighbors!

Nice rifle BTW! I think it looks better with the normal AK gas tube.

Yes sir, we may be neighbors.

So in all, the chaos 7.62x39 rail seems to be a very good product. I have not tried it out with a dot yet, but im sure it would be fine, probably wont cowitness, but still fine.

Since to get a real ak look out of your saiga rifle you to buy a 40-50 dollar handguard retainer (bogus), an ak gas tube and top cover, and the handguard itself. This rail allows you to just buy the gas tube and the handguard, since it comes with the retainer. So you save about 50 bucks and it looks bad ass. For about 150bucks and little work, its the shit.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.