Scope or red dot

Ok, I have a Dpms ar15 and a saiga 7.62

I picked up a 4x scope and a red dot sight last weekend and I am trying to decide on withch weapon I should put the scope and where should the red dot go. The Dpms came NIB without iron sights, but will get some for it later.

What do you guys think?

Note: the weapons are mostly used at the range up to 100 yards max for now.

I have had fun trying both, but in the end, I feel the AR is better served with the scope and the AK with a red dot.

The AR has a little better accuracy and you can take better advantage of that with a scope. The AK having slightly larger grouping seems to lend to the red dot. If you have a dot that is close to 4 or 6moa, then a Saiga can put the shots on the dot at 100yds.

For me, my AR can shoot better than my average, but I max out the Saigas capabilities to where only better ammo will decrease my group size. If that makes sense.

I have had fun trying both, but in the end, I feel the AR is better served with the scope and the AK with a red dot.

The AR has a little better accuracy and you can take better advantage of that with a scope. The AK having slightly larger grouping seems to lend to the red dot. If you have a dot that is close to 4 or 6moa, then a Saiga can put the shots on the dot at 100yds.

For me, my AR can shoot better than my average, but I max out the Saigas capabilities to where only better ammo will decrease my group size. If that makes sense.

My opinion is 6 moa for a rifle is far too large. If I can shoot 2-3invh groups with my saiga at 100yrds why would I have a red dot that covers 6 inches?? 6moa makes a great shotgun or handgun optic. For a rifle...for me... 3moa is the largest ill ever go.

• Like 1

My opinion is 6 moa for a rifle is far too large. If I can shoot 2-3invh groups with my saiga at 100yrds why would I have a red dot that covers 6 inches?? 6moa makes a great shotgun or handgun optic. For a rifle...for me... 3moa is the largest ill ever go.

I agree, 6 moa is huge. I had one on my S-12 and it was fine for that, but when I got a newer one the 6moa ended up on the x39 for a while. It was purely a CQC set-up at that point, and being reduced to just plinking distances. You are correct, and I took it off afer a while of not being satisfied at 100yds.

I see the 7.62 X 39 as a 200 yard point blank self defense/hunting round. While the Saiga platform may be more accurate and the pointed bullets more aerodynamic than a .30-30, I don't believe the gun/cartridge combination would be practical for more distant use. Sure, it it's all I had, I'd want to scope it. Mine wears a red dot, with back-up peeps.

I have a CZ 527 in that caliber which is wonderfully accurate. With a fixed 6 X scope, it'll give prarrie dog groups at 100 yards. It's really fun to shoot, but that setup calls for larger targets after about 150 yards in order to make a humane shot. Basically, it's a great centerfire plinker.

Instead, I have a nice converted Saiga 5.45 X 39 that has a point blank range out to 300 yards, and a scope can make a big difference over that range. Again, I believe it's the cartridge that allows that extra 100 yards, and it's nice to have an accurate Saiga platform so that the accuracy it provides can be used with target magnification out to that distance.

I'm just talking about matching sighting tools with the capabilities of the cartridge in that platform and and intended use.

As has been suggested, try it with a scope first. You may want to use the accuracy it offers rather than the quickness for which it was designed.

Right now i'm using a reddot on a BPO2. On a 100 yard range alone I can get kill shot accuracy out of every shot on that range, 25 50 and 100 targets, if alone across the range itself (multiple lanes of fire) and rapidly.

I also have a POSP which is fun, at greater distances.

However, for me and my vision of where the rifle fits in my collection, Fast, accurate, target aquisition and elimination, is the name of the game. Honestly, it could be close but it's not a scoped .308 to me. I'd select that tool for a longer ranged task. But remind ya, that's just my vision and current use for the rifle. It's a good rifle in many different capacitys, which is part of it's strength. I could yank off that BPO2 and slap on the scope in 10 seconds and with a mag change be looking to 200+ yards.

Knowing it's characteristics beyond 100 yards is great, and i'm glad I have spent time with both. The rifle could do that job. It's just soooo nice inside of 100 and set up for such.

Just my .02 and where i see this thing shine.

Edited by sharkeater

I have a red dot on my 7.62 and a 2-7x32 scope on my 5.45. The 7.62 is pretty accurate out to 100 yards with that set up. Plus it's tons of fun. The 5.45 is very accurate at 200 yards. Is it the scope or the cartridge? If i swicthed them would it make a big difference? I'm not sure, but that's what works for me.

Cracker7

I have a red dot on my 7.62 and a 2-7x32 scope on my 5.45. The 7.62 is pretty accurate out to 100 yards with that set up. Plus it's tons of fun. The 5.45 is very accurate at 200 yards. Is it the scope or the cartridge? If i swicthed them would it make a big difference? I'm not sure, but that's what works for me.

Cracker7

Swap em for a trip and post your results!!

Report from the range....

The 7.62 is more accurate with the scope for sure. Not as accurate as the 5.45 though with the scope. The 5.45 is just as accurate as the 7.62 with the red dot but alot easier to get back on target due to less recoil. So I'm going to keep the red dot on the 7.62 and the scope on the 5.45. That just seems like the best set ups for me. Both are alot of fun to shoot. And just for the record, the 7.62 is just a beast. I love that thing. Not to say i don't love the 5.45, but the 7.62 just makes you feel like a bad ass when you fire it. LOL

Cracker7