Shotgun Wax Slug Physics

Unleashing short range hell from a cheap game load.

"How to" on making them.

Will they feed? Dunno my last stand weapon is a double barrel and the question is moot.

Range seems to be out to 20yds.

Seems to be similar results to cut shells, looks to be an improvement over them though.

Edited by Rhodes1968

12ga fragmenting round, I have done it to "00" and man it is something.

Dont know how it would hold up in the heat of a dessert or a hot barrel.

Edited by RED333

12ga fragmenting round, I have done it to "00" and man it is something.

Dont know how it would hold up in the heat of a dessert or a hot barrel.

Yeah I did a quick search and found some waxes have a fair heat tolerance. Just depends on how far you want to go with it.

Keeping all that shot together to hit in the same area is just brutal.

On the last vid I posted it is mentioned that this basically just like placing the barrel against the target and pulling the trigger sans the powder burns and over pressure.

Personally I would the think the pin would be a pile of toothpicks depending on the load.

Wont address any safety issue.

THe rubber wrapped hardwood of bowling pins sends everything from buckshot down rebounding everywhere. Literally it just bounces off. Slugs however punch huge holes through and destroy pins.

I would love to find this offers something between those extreems.

THe rubber wrapped hardwood of bowling pins sends everything from buckshot down rebounding everywhere. Literally it just bounces off. Slugs however punch huge holes through and destroy pins.

I would love to find this offers something between those extreems.

judging from what ive seen them do to plate steel, id imagine they would punch a hole at least partially through. purely speculation of course, as i dont have any experience shooting bowling pins

I'm still debating on wax slugs or Lee slugs that are molded from birdshot & placed back into the hull ("Mexican Match") for plinking n maybe hunting...Pleeeeeeze help my indecisive @$$ out with either pros n cons, tales of experience etc bad_smile.gif

This is what I'm referring to:

HandFoldedCrimp.jpg

I'm still debating on wax slugs or Lee slugs that are molded from birdshot & placed back into the hull ("Mexican Match") for plinking n maybe hunting...Pleeeeeeze help my indecisive @$$ out with either pros n cons, tales of experience etc bad_smile.gif

This is what I'm referring to:

HandFoldedCrimp.jpg

just do both

Anyone heard of gun damage from homemade wax slugs? I didn't really find anything with a google search.

My cousin was screwing around with this when we were just kids and blew his 410/.22 mag over under wide open with a homemade wax slug.

It was around thirty years ago and I don't know what kind of load he started with but I'll never forget the look on his face when that gun came apart in his hands.

My father used to keep what he called goose rounds for HD. They were pre WW2 paper hulls factory loaded with #6 bird shot with twine and wax. According to him they would reach out and knock down the ones who otherwise would be out of range. He said that at close range they were a lot nastier than a slug.

The logic behind the wax slugs is not so much penetration as it is transfer all the energy possible to the target within the first few inches. Whatever gets hit wont be getting back up very easily even with trauma plates.

The load will frag like crazy and the wound is going to be multiple channel and nasty.

They may well be perfect for a coach gun or a single shot. Yes some folks still have those.

Its not the holy grail but it is good idea for those situations where that trait is desired.

Made 10 of these with with candle wax yesterday and took them to the range today.

Had a lot of feeding problems, only 3 of the 10 fed properly. Had to manually insert the shell into the chamber. I suspect the marginally shorter shell length was messing up the feed angle.

They otherwise cycled fine on 2. I switched to 1 for the last pair of them and it wasn't enough pressure to even eject.

Shot at paper at 50 yards, so I did not get any real measure of how damaging they would have been on a solid object. Accuracy was not nearly as bad as expected. All but one were within a one foot radius from bullseye. Hitting a man size target wouldn't be an issue at that range. Everything stayed together nicely, though all but two were distinct keyholes, the slug was definitely tumbling.

No sign of wax in the barrel afterwards.

Edited by drhobo