Threading a .670 muzzle for 5/8-24

Rats, let me try this again...

Okay, so the block moves back about 0.58". It loses the front of the shroud, which will probably be offset by the addition of a jam nut or crush washer. And with the taper at the muzzle, the threads probably won't be deep enough to engage for the first...I don't know, 0.125-0.25"? So, maybe just about half an inch of thread engagement, which is 12 threads. I don't know what the best practices for muzzle devices are, but it seems pretty good to me.

I moved mine back myself. I "reamed"the back of the sight with a dremel grinding stone and measured with my calipers until the diameter was 0.001" bigger that the bbl. I know it's not precision work but it's just the front sight. Then I was able to move it back pretty easily with a ball peen hammer and aluminum block. My bbl wasn't tapered - the front block was all the way forward - I couldn't even mount a SGM tactical muzzle break. I think mine ended up with 14 threads. I will post pics of my process soon. Converting my 308 was fun and would gladly do it again. Maybe I'll get a 22" one to work on if I can get a good deal.

This sounds like the same setup as mine.

The lip around the muzzle? Mine did have that. It was cut off flush at the sight tower by Dinzag though.

Yeah. Mine din't have one. Interesting.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Better late than never, I suppose. I'm photographically challenged but think I got one pic up/downloaded. I've ran 40 rounds through it and so far, so fantastic! I don't normally run a 7.62x39 and it'

Oops, sorry!  

I definitely went the bubba route. I used the Dinzag directions to remove and later re-install the fsb. After the fsb removal, I bolted a cross slide vise to a vertical board and put an angle grind

Posted Images

Oops, sorry!

308Saiga2.jpg

308Saiga3.jpg

308Saiga1.jpg

Oops, sorry!

308Saiga2.jpg

308Saiga3.jpg

308Saiga1.jpg

Really nice! Similar to how mine looks and the color scheme is the same.

However, what's up with all that white blood all over the place? You didn't shoot Frosty the Snowman, did you?

Edited by TacticoolTim

Looks good! I finally, pulled my front sight base off and moved it back. Revealing .670" under the FSB. I will thread mine to 5/8"-24, need to turn a TAT on the lathe first. Mine is the long barrelled 07' version. My FSB was a royal pain to remove and required heat. Got it bored out, moved back and repinned. No problems there. Since I was at my buddy's shop I was finally able to straighten my rear sight base in addition to the FSB. My gun was clearly a Vodka special as the rear sight base was canted counter clockwise better than 5 degrees. Will be ordering a brake soon.

• Like 1

The cheekpiece is something I whipped up with fiberglass, epoxy and urethane foam. It attaches with a magnet and a bit of steel in the glued in stock. To stop it from sliding back and forth, there's a hollow phenolic tube that inserts into a hole driller into the comb. To keep it from getting away when not on the rifle, a bit of thin wire rope runs from the interior of the tube and into the stock through the hole in the comb.

Really, it's more complicated to explain than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my JP large tactical compensator in hand and will be leaving for the wedding in a couple of days. When the boring part is over we'll see about getting the barrel threaded and brake indexed. FSB came off fairly easy although I didn't have any brass punches to use. I used a steel block to get it moving then switched to an aluminum one. Doesn't appear to have marked it up any. Hopefully I can get some pics next week.

The JP looks to be very high quality and came with a set of "free" earplugs. Think they're trying to tell me something?

• 4 weeks later...

Better late than never, I suppose. I'm photographically challenged but think I got one pic up/downloaded. I've ran 40 rounds through it and so far, so fantastic! I don't normally run a 7.62x39 and it's been about six months but my initial impression is that the recoil on my 308 is somewhere between that and a 223. That may sound far fetched but recoil is now a non-issue. I don't know where it stands compared to other brakes but will emphatically state that if something else is better, I don't need it. My endorsement of the JP Large Tactical compensator is wholehearted and unequivocal.

post-23904-0-65938100-1333843976_thumb.jpg

Edited by TacticoolTim
  • Like 3

Thanks guys. I tried to load a picture of the whole rifle but got a "file too large" error message. My daughter in law took the pics and loaded them to my computer. Any advice for a dummy like me on how to do it?

I like how everyone is doing different brakes too. Wish there was some way to compare them but I guess it really doesn't matter if everybody is happy with theirs.

Next up (before paint) I think I'll remove the side scope mount since I plan on using a top mount rail from now on. I figure it should be alright as long as I plug the holes with screws rather than welding them. That way I could always put it back on if I have a change of heart. Opinions? Other than that, I'd like to put a knob on the back for tool free dust cover access. Then the rifle would be essentially done.

Next up, I've thought up an AK/Saiga stock idea that appears to be somewhat unique. I'll let you know how that goes if it ever makes it off paper.

Edited by TacticoolTim

Thanks guys. I tried to load a picture of the whole rifle but got a "file too large" error message. My daughter in law took the pics and loaded them to my computer. Any advice for a dummy like me on how to do it?

PM sent

i never found the S308 to have ANY recoil that was worth a mention... it is one of my MILDER recoiling rifles :up: The gas operated system takes a lot of it out... any brake should make it even less...

Good looking job on the pics posted!!! :up:

:smoke:

i never found the S308 to have ANY recoil that was worth a mention... it is one of my MILDER recoiling rifles 032.gif The gas operated system takes a lot of it out... any brake should make it even less...

Good looking job on the pics posted!!! 032.gif

000.gif

You're a better man than me, that's for sure. It didn't kick like my Mosin so wasn't unmanageable and I never got bitten by the scope but did get touched a few times. I found myself anticipating recoil rather than concentrating on a good shot. That problem is completely eliminated now so if I still have problems getting a tight group it's on me.

Red333 sent me a PM so I'll try to get a few more pictures up within a few days.

Never really was a matter of the physical effect of recoil as it was slowing down follow up shots due to rise.

Recoil is like the monthly hormon rampage in women, fact of life but I could live well without it.

I agree completely on the follow ups.

I guess I should elaborate a little though. This is the first time I've ever ran a scope on one of my rifles so that could be part of my problem. Before I scoped it, handling recoil wasn't that big a problem. Problem was, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so I finally decided to go with some magnification. Once I did that, recoil was heavy enough to have me concentrating on not getting kissed rather than holding a tight grouping. I'm sure I could use a little more experience with scopes to get comfortable with them.

I do know a guy who someone let shoot a 50 at the range. One shot and he ended up with blood running down his face. The guy laughed and said "You're the sixth person that's happened to!" Not cool, IMHO. If that's the case, you should warn people before they shoot, not after. I think I'll leave the 50s to Indy, just in case.

No doubt on the 6th person in line bloodied... NOT COOL... sure as shit way to get people to not only NOT like you but to have them ANTI-50 as well... I have had only ONE person who has shot my 50 ever get cut... and that was his own fault... EVERYONE gets warned its going to move back about 6-8 inches and to be AWARE of where their head is in relation to the optic... I would bet DOZENS have fired my rifle with NO ill effects to their person... other than the pain from an EAR SPLITTING GRIN after they look up and say "WOW thats AWESOME!!!!" :lol::up: Be aware that the 50BMG doesnt KICK like some other high powered rifles... the 416 Rem. Magnum... Thats like getting kicked by a mule... The 50BMG is more of a fast/hard PUSH... ever shoot 3" 12 gauge slugs? or 3.5" turkey loads??? Think they hurt?? The 50BMG has LESS recoil than those, and if held snug to the shoulder...ZERO pain. just PUSH... :up:

If you are getting kissed by YOUR scope, Tim... I would highly recommend looking into a little different model optic with longer eye relief... There are some out there that have close to a 4" eye relief... it will allow you to do the same thing the one on there NOW does... but it will completely remove the worry from your mind, and that will let you concentrate on SHOOTING without flinching, or fidgeting thinking your going to get socked in the eye every time you pull the trigger. That kind of worry just takes away the enjoyment of shooting... And that SUCKS!

:smoke:

• 1 month later...

Never did get a picture of the whole thing. I'll try it now thanks to Red 333 educating me.

It's more or less done except now the side optic mount rail is gone and it's stripped down waiting for me to apply Duplicolor 1634.

post-23904-0-95591900-1336836188_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Of course when I said "It's more or less done." I may not have been entirely truthful, lol. Not sure about the grip pod, maybe a bipod instead, maybe not. Thinking about a red dot and magnifier too. I'll end up using Duracoat, maybe gray instead of black on the metal and OD green on the plastic for a more uniform match. I also plan on some 15 round Csspecs mags when he gets around to building them. Got an idea bouncing around in my (empty) head about a floating hand guard.....

But hey, other than that, it's more or less done. I can't say exactly why but seem to like the 308 more than the S12 and 223 for some reason. I know it's not ammo cost, that's for sure.

• 4 months later...

Alright, after moving my sight block and reading this post concerning threading a .670 barrel to 5/8-24, I have decided to give it a whirl so I can thread on an M60 flash hider. I just wanted to double check with you all to see if you think it will work before the tools get here from Dinzag. I haven't seen anyone mention this configuration on a .308. Mine has a .660" OD to start, then steps up to .670" at .400" up the barrel. Anyone think I shouldn't do it?

FSBpostmovecopy.jpg

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.