'No More Weapons!' billboard placed on US border

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — President Felipe Calderon on Thursday unveiled a "No More Weapons!" billboard made with crushed firearms and placed near the U.S. border. He urged the United States to stop the flow of weapons into Mexico.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-more-weapons-billboard-placed-us-border-053553960.html

The billboard, which is in English and weighs 3 tons, was placed near an international bridge in Ciudad Juarez and can be seen from the United States.

Calderon said the billboard's letters were made with weapons seized by local, state and federal authorities.

"Dear friends of the United States, Mexico needs your help to stop this terrible violence that we're suffering," Calderon said in English during the unveiling ceremony.

"The best way to do this is to stop the flow of automatic weapons into Mexico," he added.

Before unveiling the billboard, Calderon supervised the destruction of more than 7,500 automatic rifles and handguns at a military base in Ciudad Juarez.

Calderon said more than 140,000 weapons have been seized since December 2006, when he launched a crackdown against drug traffickers. More than 47,500 people have been killed since then.

One of the cities most affected by the violence is Ciudad Juarez, where more than 9,000 have died in drug violence since 2008.

Also Thursday, the country's Attorney General said a federal prosecutor assigned to a northern state has been detained on suspicion of protecting the brutal Zetas drug cartel.

Attorney General Marisela Morales said federal prosecutor Claudia Gonzalez has been sent to prison. She didn't say when Gonzalez was detained or give any other details.

Gonzalez was based in the city of Saltillo, capital of the border state of Coahuila.

The state on the border with Texas has seen a spike of violence as the Zetas and the Sinaloa drug cartel fight for control of drug smuggling routes into the United States.

First off, I think it is funny all the blaming of America on Mexico's automatic weapons. If they came from the US and are automatics they've probably been sold with State Department approval to some government that through corruption leaves them in the hands of cartels.

What would've been a better idea would be to tell the US that they're de-escalating their war on drugs and put a sign on the border made out of crushed needles, syringes and aluminum foil that reads, "Hey America, please curb your appetite for drugs."

• Like 2

The drug war is a myth propogated by the man as an excuse to tax us for funding in an effort legitamize a government agency.

Amsterdam. Very little violent crime there. Pot is legal and hard drugs are illegal but tollerated for the most part.

If poeple want to chemically cook their brain. . . Let em.

Thin the herd.

• Like 7

Looks to me like we could work out a deal. No more weapons flowing into Mexico in exchange for no more illegal aliens flowing into the US. Sounds like a win/win agreement.

My sentiments excactly.

That was my first thoughts, exactly!

The drug war is a myth propogated by the man as an excuse to tax us for funding in an effort legitamize a government agency.

Amsterdam. Very little violent crime there. Pot is legal and hard drugs are illegal but tollerated for the most part.

Thin the herd.

You should get together with sickness. As a Libertarian he wants to legalize all illicit drugs in the U.S., just like John Stossel. I, on the otherhand, want no part of becoming like Amsterdam. You could always immigrate and avoid the "man's" taxes. smile.png

Looks to me like we could work out a deal. No more weapons flowing into Mexico in exchange for no more illegal aliens flowing into the US. Sounds like a win/win agreement.

My sentiments excactly.

That was my first thoughts, exactly!

add keep your drugs on your side and we'll cling to our guns....

Thin the herd.

You should get together with sickness. As a Libertarian he wants to legalize all illicit drugs in the U.S., just like John Stossel. I, on the otherhand, want no part of becoming like Amsterdam. You could always immigrate and avoid the "man's" taxes. smile.png

The only trouble with immigrating is that I'm not willing to give up US citizenship nor my second amendment rights. I'm military so I don't mess with drugs. I was pointing out an easy solution to problems on both sides of the border. big_smile.gif

I'm no liberatarian.

I'm simply an American.

Funny how Mexico thinks it's our problem they can't police their citizens.

I suppose next they'll expect people in Ireland to stop making whiskey cause people on the otherside of the world can't handle their booze.

Fucking ridiciulous..

As liberal as America is these days don't be suprised if the Obahma makes a public apology to Mexico. I'm sure it's the honest citizens fault and has nothing with being TOO FAST TOO FURIUOS - ATF.

Guns are illegal in Mexico (any military caliber is anyway).

Drugs are illegal in the United States.

Why is there a problem if laws stop crime?

I am against drugs and think they are a scourge on our society. However, keeping them illegal creates more VIOLENT crime in the illegal trafficking and the pursuit of junkies' next overpriced fix. During the time of the French Connection, you could buy a hit of Heroin for the price of a dozen doughnuts. Today it is 100 times the cost of a box of doughnuts. You can't stop people from selling and smuggling the stuff when you can turn $100 into $10,000 in a week. There will always be another dealer waiting to make that kind of money no matter how many you lock up.

Junkies are going to be junkies regardless of whether their substance is legal or illegal and they don't care if they have to turn tricks or kill people to get it.

BTW: Kids who use marijuana state that it is easier for them to obtain than alcohol.

Also, the Vicodin, OxyCodone and other pain pills your doctor says are okay, are abused just as much if not more than the illegal ones. However abuse of those drugs which are chemically the same as synthetic heroin but with additives to create an easier overdose (usually on the liver) are not looked down upon the same way by our society, yet cause the same fucking problem - junkies.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 3

The studies I've seen have traced the full-auto weapons, grenades, rocket lauchers, etc. back to some South American countries, and also Eastern European countries.

NONE of the full-auto weapons traced back to the US!! This crap from Mexico pisses me off to no end!

• Like 1

Those weapons are from South America and most if not all of them were semi-autos purchased or stolen in America and were then smuggled into Mexico and converted into fully automatics. Filipe Calderon needs to fix his own problems and control his own people before pointing the finger at America. Also.. the show border wars is a load of horse crap, they say the border is being monitored 24/7 but what about the caravans of trucks just passing on through? I have seen videos of a huge group just walking in to the US and i have seen ameture video of several drug smugglers with gigantic square packs on their backs just pulling up the gate and walking in. If you do some searching you can see that there are major gaps in border security that immigrants and drug smugglers know about.

the mexican government can lick my sweaty sack. they can hate us for a number of reasons all they want and blame us for their problems and it wont change anything. alot of mexican drug fucks operate in the US and can get weapons here, and can go back across the border with them. and our wonderful atf doesnt help the matter with their covert bullshit. but with that said, only a fraction of the weapons used are indeed American and a fraction of that are traced back to the states. propaganda bullshit at its best.

they need to pull their head outta thier ass and stop blaming others for their problems and look for a solution, and take responsibility for their failed shit system and rethink their strategy. and stopping thier border jumping would be a start.

Just use the same methods employed at Guantanamo Bay a guard tower every 100 FT on the border, manned with a Marine and a M2. Nothing comes in, nothing goes out. Maybe that will help with the 2 million jobs spew...........

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 3

Interestingly enough, after decriminalizing all drugs, Portugal has seen a massive drop in crime...

Legalize it and tax that shit, just like alcohol and tobacco!

They are still criminalized, they only deal with it in a different manner, instead of the Gestapo kicking in your door and shooting your dog @ o-dark-hundrend, they fine people and send them to rehab...

Prohibition does NOT work, because anything illegal becomes popular - just because it is illegal! Anything that is only available illegally will available to anyone. An 8 year old with $20 can buy pot in the 'hood - the seller has no brick and mortar store, no investment to loose. Legalize it, regulate it and TAX it! When the seller has to be licensed, inspected -and has a considerable investment at stake THEN we have some control over underage sales -and the cartels will go out of buisness. Just like the bootleggers did.

• Like 1

The main reason why Marijuana is illegal is because the government can't control it's production and distribution. It is fairly easy to grow and even easier to distribute it yourself (i wouldn't know because i am a law abiding citizen and will never waste my time on marijuana). The government wouldn't make as much profit as tobacco or alcohol because those take skill, equipment, and money to manufacture and produce and anyone could grow a marijuana plant as easy as any other plant. Although i do not partake in marijuana consumption it is a true fact that marijuana has healing properties and is a benefit to your health, but marijuana is a double-edged sword, if you partake in the consumption of too much marijuana negative effects of the brain will begin to occur, but lessening the consumption amount will return brain activity and functions back to their normal levels.

Edited by Corruptz0rz

The main reason why Marijuana is illegal is because the government can't control it's production and distribution. It is fairly easy to grow and even easier to distribute it yourself (i wouldn't know because i am a law abiding citizen and will never waste my time on marijuana). The government wouldn't make as much profit as tobacco or alcohol because those take skill, equipment, and money to manufacture and produce and anyone could grow a marijuana plant as easy as any other plant. Although i do not partake in marijuana consumption it is a true fact that marijuana has healing properties and is a benefit to your health, but marijuana is a double-edged sword, if you partake in the consumption of too much marijuana negative effects of the brain will begin to occur, but lessening the consumption amount will return brain activity and functions back to their normal levels.

Bingo! Look at all the hippies that grow killer weed. If they can do it, it can't be that hard. The govt knows that there's no way for them to tax it, the same with moonshine, its so easy to make, anyone can do it, so they have to make it illegal, based strictly on tax revenue.

I support the legalization of everything, if people want to take drugs, let them. Its bullshit that I can't go and get some heroin at the drug store. If I want to snort some heroin one night, there's no reason I should have to go to some shitty neighborhood, deal with some scum bag who might try to kill me or take my money, and buy something that I have no idea of the contents. And if someone else can't go to the store, buy some heroin and do it responsibly, that's their problem, and I shouldn't be punished for someone elses inability to manage their life.

And the same goes for gun control and Mexican social problems. Just because someone does something stupid with a gun doesn't mean that I should be denied my rights.

• Like 6