not a Saiga.. made by Izhevsk,Mosin Nagant 91/30, dated 1942 and has the triangle and arrow mark on the receiver and also the laurel leaves and sickle and hammer marks too, got it today and haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but will go to the range tomorrow

mynewtoy2.jpg

Edited by RichardC1967
  • Like 5

past up on a Finnish M91 made by Tikka and dated 1940 at another business cause I didn't know what it was ,and it was priced a bit higher than what I paid for the Mosin.The Tikka was in almost mint condition with the hex receiver, and very little wear in the bore, I could kick myself now, the guys at the pawn shop don't even know what they have, and can probably charge twice as much for what they are asking for it, maybe next time I'll do more research.The gun will probably still be there by the time I can get the money for it.I'm still happy with my purchase tho'

Edited by RichardC1967

I almost bought some ammo for it by mistake. I have never fired that particular round, but have always heard good news about the mosin, especially the price till recently. Thats a nice battle rig.

Edited by tatonic

thats awsome! i love mosins. make sure to try to clean most of the cosmoline off. try to get most out of the chamber you can or you'll get sticky bolt syndrome. you'll prolly have to drift the front sight one way or the other so bring a small tack hammer and a punch. other than that, shoot the piss out of it! these things are great shooters and hard to kill'em.

Edited by Captain Hero

thats awsome! i love mosins. make sure to try to clean most of the cosmoline off. try to get most out of the chamber you can or you'll get sticky bolt syndrome. you'll prolly have to drift the front sight one way or the other so bring a small tack hammer and a punch. other than that, shoot the piss out of it! these things are great shooters and hard to kill'em.

oddly enough, the only thing that had cosmoline on it was that stupid little oil bottle, the gun was new out of the box and was displayed in the gun shop, not sure if the gun shop guy cleaned it or what..BTW they had two(my bro-in-law saw mine today and after we shoot it tomorrow he's gonna get the other one), I asked to inspect the other one, which I actually removed from the sealed plastic bag, and it wasn't covered with cosmoline either, but both were very well preserved,and the bores on both were clean and looked real good...the sight on mine was adjusted to the left a bit already and looks dead on, so we'll see how it shoots..

oddly enough, the only thing that had cosmoline on it was that stupid little oil bottle, the gun was new out of the box and was displayed in the gun shop, not sure if the gun shop guy cleaned it or what..BTW they had two(my bro-in-law saw mine today and after we shoot it tomorrow he's gonna get the other one), I asked to inspect the other one, which I actually removed from the sealed plastic bag, and it wasn't covered with cosmoline either, but both were very well preserved,and the bores on both were clean and looked real good...the sight on mine was adjusted to the left a bit already and looks dead on, so we'll see how it shoots..

cool deal. hopefully you wont have to sight it in.

shot it today..shoots to the right..the sight hood sits a bit to the left on the dovetail..I guess I needed to attach the bayonet, since it hangs to the right of the barrel..Mosins where sighted with the bayonet attached back in WW2, cause they wanted the soldiers to leave them on all of the time..

My advice... Go back and get that Finn!

The Finns were very good at accurizing the captured Russian 91/30s.

They are getting harder to find and the increasing price shows it.

Thanks for bringing that back up..I just stopped kicking myself for not getting it when I had the money the first time..now I'm gonna have to start kicking myself again

• Like 1

My advice... Go back and get that Finn!

The Finns were very good at accurizing the captured Russian 91/30s.

They are getting harder to find and the increasing price shows it.

Thanks for bringing that back up..I just stopped kicking myself for not getting it when I had the money the first time..now I'm gonna have to start kicking myself again

ahh bullshit. that russian gun will put food on the table long after me and you are dead and gone. but chile has a point, those are getting harder to come across. but non the less, the good thing is that the history of these babies is still strong and isnt goin anywhere anytime soon.

i had a feeling you where going to have to sight it in!

• Like 1

Also... If that 91/30 shoots high, like a lot of'em do.

There are two good tricks to raise (lengthen) the front sight post, 1) A coffee stirrer slipped over the original and glued, then trimmed. 2) A bit of electrical shrink wrap placed over and shrunk tight and then trimmed.

I used the coffee stirrer on mine, as it shot about 12" high at 100 yards.

There are two good tricks to raise (lengthen) the front sight post, 1) A coffee stirrer slipped over the original and glued, then trimmed. 2) A bit of electrical shrink wrap placed over and shrunk tight and then trimmed.

what kind of hold over the targets are you using? i normally do a 6'oclock hold over on mine and usually am not more than 6" on mine. ive herd this several times about a lot of mosins. just curious.

thanks for the tip, you can actually buy a post upgrade on that famous auction website that most of us here visit occasionally,I also saw a tool there that allows you to move the sight hood left or right for adjustment purposes, so you don't have to bang it with a hammer and punch

@ CH, I used a bullseye POA and was hitting 12" high. It was however dead on windage.

Yes, very common for them to shoot high.

@ Richard, yeah I'd seen those and some other options, but I had a coffee stirrer from the Range's office and a dab of superglue too, costs $0.00.

I read somewhere the reason they shoot high is because the average peasant that joined the ranks was told to aim at the biggest part of the torso, usually the chest and/or below(stomach/gut area).then when the round hit, it would usually hit around the upper torso or neck and head area for the definate kill shot...quick way of making the below average conscript a deadly shot...not sure how true that is but it makes sense to me.

Ok I broke down and bought the "Tikka" Finnish M91 model..here are some pics,BTW the Russian Mosin is up for sale..The Finn has matching serial numbers on the bolt and receiver and is dated 1940 with the "Tikka" factory symbol stamped on it.The rifle is 51-1/2" long and with bayonet attached its 5ft-8" long

m91boltandreceiver2.jpg

IMG_99952.jpg

IMG_99932.jpg

Edited by RichardC1967
  • Like 2

on the one you have for sale, has it been counter-bored?

i found that sanding the barrel channel and the handguard free up a little contact areas on these old war horses.

nice tikka. sorry to hear your sellin the 91/30.

on the one you have for sale, has it been counter-bored?

i found that sanding the barrel channel and the handguard free up a little contact areas on these old war horses.

nice tikka. sorry to hear your sellin the 91/30.

nope, neither have been counter bored and have very nice rifleling(?)..I really wanted this one so I'm not gonna miss the 91/30 , my bro-in- laws co-worker is interested in it, I'm letting it go for $80.00 with sling minus the bayonet and accessories...