"Trunnion slam" revisited with observations

While I was reassembling my Saiga, I took a second look at the marks on the rear trunnion. You know the ones where the carrier smacks the rear trunnion. It's not the carrier hitting the trunnion, but the rear of the bolt itself. There is a relief cut in the trunnion, but it's not wide enough to let the bolt pass, and contacting the rear of the bolt. Now my gears are rolling. WHAT IF the relief cut was opened up just a shade so the carrier is hitting the trunnion? The relief cut is already deep enough(on mine anyways) to allow the carrier to contact it before the bolt does, but not wide enough. I didn't see any wear on the rear of the bolt however.

If the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll get some pics. Friggin' spaghetti bulbs wreak havok on my digital pics when zoomed in.

• Like 1

Making a small relief might save the back of your bolt some pain by allowing the broader carrier to take the abuse. its a interesting thought.

I question how much of a difference this will make though as I have a well work S-12 that shows from carrier-trunion contact but no damage to the bolt, and no visible markings on the trunion from the bolt.

if i was to cut a relief as you propose i would do so under the asumption that i know what's better than the izmash enginers.so i don't do anything.it's not as if they don't think about this kind of stuff they are allways doing little improvements.not to say this doesn't bother me but my fix is to buy another ak,just in case.