My new 'Heavy Scout Rifle'... M1 Garand T26

Took approximately just over two months from the date of placing my order, but yesterday the rifle arrived at my FFL Dealer for pick-up.

She is a completely restored M1 Garand built on a Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. receiver, by Dean Dillabaugh of "Dean's Gun Restorations" located in Tennessee. I requested Dean to build one of his 'Tanker' Garands (although I like to refer to it as a M1 Garand T26) chambered in 7.62x51mm with a 18 1/4" Criterion barrel and a Smith Enterprise Garand muzzle brake. I shipped out to him the Amega mini-scout picatinny rail to incorporate into the build.

For all intents and purposes, she is a brand-spanking new M1 Garand. hurra.gif She's my 'Heavy Scout Rifle'. ;%29.gif

CIMG4827.jpg

CIMG4831.jpg

CIMG4836.jpg

CIMG4829.jpg

CIMG4833.jpg

CIMG4834.jpg

Dean custom fits and finishes the semi-fancy walnut stocks to all his rifles' actions and his craftsmanship in that regard is truly superlative. When my wife looked the rifle over and shouldered it. . . she said, "Wow, this is the nicest rifle you own." Ummm. . . that's saying a lot considering I do own what I consider to be several rather exceptionally nice rifles and handguns.

My M1 is sporting a Thompson Center Recoil Proof Pistol Scope 2.5-7x28mm, and low Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings.

~Gary

Edited by Gary
  • Like 7

DAMN NICE, now ya got wanting one even MORE!!!

Have ya had chance to shoot Her yet?

Not yet (just picked her up yesterday). Today it is raining cats 'n dogs here. . . so I'm not inclined to take her out to the firing range. Come hell or high-water I'll be performing her baptismal firing next weekend.

Thanks for the kind words.

~Gary

Very nice. I have a H&R Garand as well but in original 3006. Does she take only milspec x51 or can you use 308 as well?

Interesting question, since I went back and forth with Dean Dillabaugh regarding which caliber to chamber the rifle for (the available options Dean offers are .30-06, .308 Win, and 7.62x51mm). For years I had believed that it was okay to fire 7.62mm out of a .308 Win chambered rifle. . . but according to Dean, it's essentially the other way around. Dean was kind of hesitant to discuss this topic with me. . . I perceived for fear of possible liable or whatever. Bottom line is: The two calibers do in fact have very slightly different chamber to bolt headspacings. Since this is an M1 Garand military rifle and I prefer to purchase my ammunition in bulk, for me I went with the military 7.62x51mm cartridge chambering.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Gary

I understand there are differences, but so long as the rifle is able to handle the increased chamber pressure of .308 you should be fine.

there have been issues firing 5.56x45 in .223 match grade barrels, but the .308 to 7.62x51 is largely a difference in chamber pressures on most guns.

For any intent or purpose (to varying degrees of intensiveness), that is a nice rifle! The wood alone is stunning, but the whole package is amazing. Dean Dillabaugh did some darn good work.

I did a .308 Tanker build using a kit from Numrich on a CMP woodless Dane a few years back, and I love it. It's nowhere near as lovely as yours, but it's still a handsome, handy gun.

damn that's a great looking weapon, beats the hell out of just a black rifle.

Very much so!

When I held it for the very first time at my FFL Dealer, looked it over and shouldered it. . . truth be told, I experienced a rush. The M1 Garand in this pristine, restored condition prompts sentiments and reflections of American pride. It's hard to shake-of the realization that one is holding a genuine article of Americana.

YMMV though.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

Today, with all the aluminium and polymer it just does not compare to the old "lock stock and barrel". Your rifle is exquisite but I am a sucker for such. I have 3 Garands. A Springfeild (Korean era), Winchester(WWII) and a complete all original International Harvester (made for Korea but never used).I have a Salt/pepper laminiated stock with a CMP scout mount and a Burris 2-7x32 w/BDC on it. I love the 30.06 round and although these guns are heavy they are awesome as is my 1929 Remington 1903-A3 that was rebarreled in 3-42. these and my 2 K98s are in new condition. they just don't make them like that anymore. and you can tell when you hold them. Enjoy your piece of history..

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

• Like 1

This weekend I took my M1 out to the firing line for the first time. . . wanted to break the barrel in carefully, while also identifying which gas screw for my adjustable gas system worked best with the L2A2 ammo I was shooting. . . and dammit if the friggen bolt didn't take a nip at my thumb!

That's what I get for trying to load the already inserted enbloc clip, one round at a time.

haha.gif

that's a pretty thing. Was that a restoration? or just built from a kit?Either way the wood looks great on there. Giant ass scope on there whats the specs on it? and what kind of weight does it have?

All questions answered in the OPs first post............just sayin! LOL! The weight is still a mystery but I'd guess decently heavy. 8 to 12lbs?

"My M1 is sporting a Thompson Center Recoil Proof Pistol Scope 2.5-7x28mm, and low Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings."

"She is a completely restored M1 Garand built on a Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. receiver, by Dean Dillabaugh of "Dean's Gun Restorations" located in Tennessee."

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to installing the vertical gun rack on my den's wall to display my M1 Garand (item purchased from Gun-Racks.com, listed as their "Single Magnetic Vertical Gun Rack"). I slightly modified the vertical rack by installing two additional magnets into the top barrel rest portion, because the single magnet did not rest right up against either my M1's barrel or gas tube. . . and I wanted to be sure in the event of a mild earthquake the rifle would not fall out of the rack. I also applied minwax PolyShade in natural cherry satin to the already dark walnut stain, to get the wood finish more in tune with the other furniture I have in my den. I am very pleased with how it all came out.

CIMG4946.jpg

CIMG4947.jpg

Oh, and I've had a new Burris 2-7x32 Handgun Scope mounted on her and I find it a huge improvement over the Thompson Center optic. I also modified a Triple-K 3/4" cheek riser and laced it up on my rifle's rear stock. The 3/4" height just wasn't enough for me to obtain an appropriate sight alignment, so I added foam padding underneath the leather cheek piece, and also reshaped the front portion of the leather piece to more appropriately match the contours of the rifle stock (in my opinion anyway). I'm very pleased with how that came out as well.

CIMG4941.jpg

The only thing I've got left to do is paint the scope and rings in parker color. I've had the DuraCoat "Shake 'N Spray" Finishing Kit for weeks. . . but I simply haven't made the time to "get'r done". :)

~Gary

• Like 1

The Burris is the best scope for these guns in this config. I have one on one of my M1's (fullsize). Mine also has the BDC does yours? That BDC comes in really handy and the glass is excellent.

Yes; my Burris 2-7x32 optic has the "ballistic plex" reticle and it also has the Posi-Lock system. smile.png

Edited by Gary