Edited by RamLake
  • Like 3
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks bro!   By the way... I have solved the issue of how to remove the gas puck/tappet without a separate tool.         Those sneeky Russians....      

Saiga-12K" version 030-1 initial mokup   Testing in the near future   430mm barrel   custom 10 slot win choke adapter   custom gas block w/ rail   saiga 12 SVDS w/recoil pad   molot PG o

I'm about 80% done with mine. I got the basic conversion done today but am waiting on a set of templates from RamLake to help cut the rear of the receiver for the side folding trunnion. So, I put a

Posted Images

Show off. ;-)

Did you get a chance to shoot it with the short barrel?

Any closeups of the custom gas block rail?

It's the stock GB with the picatiny tig'ed back on, it turned out perfectly if I may say so myself, of coarse the first one costs me about 300.00 in time spent!!

Sure beats 130.00 + shipping from Kvar

Thanks Sunnybean

Ray,

I'd like to get your thoughts on this issue too...

I've been doing a bit of research on authentic S-12K's and found a couple interesting differences. First, the trigger guard is very uniusual and not at all like any of the TG's I've seen on the market. Notice the unusual rivet plate and large forward radius. Not sure exactly how I'm going to replicate that, just yet.

Ver030differences.jpg

Also, you can see here, this S-12K does not have a side mount scope rail. I'm wondering if I should remove the scope mount and fill in the holes.

P1040312.jpg

Plus, the flash hider appears to be chrome lined:

P1040318.jpg

And there is a bad ass aresenal stamp on the trunnion immediately before the SN.

close.jpg

Ray,

I've been doing a bit of research on authentic S-12K's and found a couple interesting differences. First, the trigger guard is very unusual and not at all like any of the TG's I've seen on the market. Notice the unusual rivet plate and large forward radius. Not sure exactly how I'm going to replicate that, just yet.

This is simply NOT true. There are plenty of pictures that show the trigger guard you desire to be incorrect.

The correct one is the one with small triangle side supports, like what Cobra sells. But it is your S12, do as you like.

post-10690-0-58073000-1329990855_thumb.jpg

post-10690-0-44660200-1329990880_thumb.jpg

post-10690-0-45523200-1329990954_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ray,

I've been doing a bit of research on authentic S-12K's and found a couple interesting differences. First, the trigger guard is very unusual and not at all like any of the TG's I've seen on the market. Notice the unusual rivet plate and large forward radius. Not sure exactly how I'm going to replicate that, just yet.

This is simply NOT true. There are plenty of pictures that show the trigger guard you desire to be incorrect.

The correct one is the one with small triangle side supports, like what Cobra sells. But it is your S12, do as you like.

That one looks like a older version.

After a little thought, the factory may have changed the trigger guard to provide more room for for your finger with the BHO button on the newer ones.

The older version button may have been mostly for the 'Last round bolt hold open'. As you see the older version still has the button/lever BHO behind the trigger.

S-12K does not have a side mount scope rail.

Ive been wondering the same thing.

Aside from the look, one already has the iron sights as well as the receiver cover rail.

may even leave part of the importer mark ' Legion'

Edited by red_cedar

Well, I already have the AK-Builder trigger guard which I thought was the correct style prior to finding those photos. I pulled the screenshots of the strange TG from the Izhmash promotional video on the exp. ver. 030. I don't know if the confusion stems from my inadvertent mixing up of different models or if, as redcedar suggests, they are the result of prototyping and/or production changes. Either way, I'm not sure if it's fair to characterize my conclusions as outright false, but I'm happy to see my AK-Builder TG is correct as far as some photos show.

...I wish I spoke Russian. This would be a lot easier. big_smile.gif

Either way, I didn't mean to hijack Ray's thread. Just figured we were operating on parallell paths.

Ray, I'd like to get your thoughts on this issue too... I've been doing a bit of research on authentic S-12K's and found a couple interesting differences. First, the trigger guard is very uniusual and not at all like any of the TG's I've seen on the market. Notice the unusual rivet plate and large forward radius. Not sure exactly how I'm going to replicate that, just yet. Ver030differences.jpg Also, you can see here, this S-12K does not have a side mount scope rail. I'm wondering if I should remove the scope mount and fill in the holes. P1040312.jpg Plus, the flash hider appears to be chrome lined: P1040318.jpg And there is a bad ass aresenal stamp on the trunnion immediately before the SN. close.jpg

I believe since there are so many subtle diiferences that if you find a russian model you like build it that way.

The TG is an example of that. I found an example of the proper TG for the s12 K models thru sKoTT's k build from years ago, which is still used today on many of legions models.

I may also remove the side scope base.

I'm going to keep the side base until I find the

I had to modify original AK TG's ,now AK builder offers a great replica

Well, I already have the AK-Builder trigger guard which I thought was the correct style prior to finding those photos. I pulled the screenshots of the strange TG from the Izhmash promotional video on the exp. ver. 030. I don't know if the confusion stems from my inadvertent mixing up of different models or if, as redcedar suggests, they are the result of prototyping and/or production changes. Either way, I'm not sure if it's fair to characterize my conclusions as outright false, but I'm happy to see my AK-Builder TG is correct as far as some photos show. ...I wish I spoke Russian. This would be a lot easier. big_smile.gif Either way, I didn't mean to hijack Ray's thread. Just figured we were operating on parallell paths.
No problem I believe this thread is going to produce some good info!! Edited by RamLake

Ram,

What exact modifications did you need to make to the AGPs to get them to work? OEM magwell mags are pretty scarce at this time, although I've read Legion has plans to import the 8 rounders. My Molot 8 rd mag and the 2 4rd Izzy mags are all I have and I'd like some more capacity.

Also, any plans to Krink one of these 030s? I know you built a very impressive "Krink" S12 from one of the 109s, but using the 030 platform would really take the cake with a folder stock, 8" barrel, and krink handguards.

Ram,

What exact modifications did you need to make to the AGPs to get them to work? OEM magwell mags are pretty scarce at this time, although I've read Legion has plans to import the 8 rounders. My Molot 8 rd mag and the 2 4rd Izzy mags are all I have and I'd like some more capacity.

Also, any plans to Krink one of these 030s? I know you built a very impressive "Krink" S12 from one of the 109s, but using the 030 platform would really take the cake with a folder stock, 8" barrel, and krink handguards.

building a 10" 030 would require the RSB to be removed otherwise there would no room for the upper hand guard

This means a redesigned top cover and hinge assembly

It will be interesting to see what people come up with?

Looking at mine here, why couldn't the gas block simply be moved back, shorten the op rod and the gas tube, and use krinkov handguards? It doesn't seem like any changes would be need to be made to the RSB.

At 10" the gas system needs to be moved back 3 1/4 - 3 1/5" this would allow for 7/8" handguards, pretty short even by my standards big_smile.gif

Edited by RamLake