Saiga-12K" version 030-1 Project

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks bro!   By the way... I have solved the issue of how to remove the gas puck/tappet without a separate tool.         Those sneeky Russians....      

Saiga-12K" version 030-1 initial mokup   Testing in the near future   430mm barrel   custom 10 slot win choke adapter   custom gas block w/ rail   saiga 12 SVDS w/recoil pad   molot PG o

I'm about 80% done with mine. I got the basic conversion done today but am waiting on a set of templates from RamLake to help cut the rear of the receiver for the side folding trunnion. So, I put a

Posted Images

What has to be done to use agp mags in my 030 magwell? Also has anyone attempted to install any type rail system on the 030?

Every time you put a rail on a Saiga, god kills a kitten. Seriously, the 030 already has a top rail.

Edited by lelandEOD
  • Like 1

EODs trick for removing the gas puck worked like a charm. Just stick the BCG back on the rails and slip the tip of the Op rod into the puck groove and pull back on the charging handle. It does appear that's the reason the recess is cut into the end of the op rod. Too bad they failed to mention this in the manual.

Edited by TwentyNizzo
Every time you put a rail on a Saiga, god kills a kitten. Seriously, the 030 already has a top rail.

Maybe not! Seriously wouldnt any ak type rail hand guard fit??

Not necessarily. The S-12 barrel is much larger in diameter than the rifle. It will take some trial and error to find one that would work.

Maybe not! Seriously wouldnt any ak type rail hand guard fit??

s12 handguards have much larger internal openings than standard AK

Opening up wood furniture is hard enough

post-23663-0-37742800-1329452621_thumb.jpg

msg-23663-0-48402900-1328811760_thumb.jpg

but plastic, there's not enough material to allow a larger cavity without breaking thru the sides

• Like 1

433-030 parts after conversion:

buttstock

pistol grip

receiver

trigger/hammer/disconnector

trunion

bolt carrier/bolt/op rod

piston

barrel

foregrip

muzzle attachment

mag body

mag follower

mag floorplate

Total: by my count that's 17 parts. I think it is 1 more than an AK rifle because of the separate piston and "op rod". I hope the US folks step up and make some parts like a US piston and foregrip for this gun or else it will be hard to use a factory magazine.

EDIT: Assuming current part counts are correct with the iz-433, you have 17 potential parts to take into consideration.

The muzzle attachment is the iffy portion on whether or not ATF see's a thread protector as an attachment per say but he's stated he's using a US made attachment. If the 433's op rod is the same as a regular S12 then you could potentially just install a tom cole rod. It's hard right now being the model is new to being imported here.

At this point he would have the following imported parts:

Receiver

barrel

mounting block

bolt

bolt carrier

gas piston

buttstock

magazine body

follower

floor plate

10 foreign parts and perfectly legal with any magazine. But that would be replacing hand guard and op-rod on top of trigger, hammer, disconnector, & using a US pistol grip which he said he does for the moment.

I don't see why we should have to do any of this parts changeing on perfectly functioning firearms. Repeal the fucking 922r already!
  • 1 month later...

Well, I already have the AK-Builder trigger guard which I thought was the correct style prior to finding those photos. I pulled the screenshots of the strange TG from the Izhmash promotional video on the exp. ver. 030. I don't know if the confusion stems from my inadvertent mixing up of different models or if, as redcedar suggests, they are the result of prototyping and/or production changes. Either way, I'm not sure if it's fair to characterize my conclusions as outright false, but I'm happy to see my AK-Builder TG is correct as far as some photos show.

...I wish I spoke Russian. This would be a lot easier. big_smile.gif

Either way, I didn't mean to hijack Ray's thread. Just figured we were operating on parallell paths.

Well, I already have the AK-Builder trigger guard which I thought was the correct style prior to finding those photos. I pulled the screenshots of the strange TG from the Izhmash promotional video on the exp. ver. 030. I don't know if the confusion stems from my inadvertent mixing up of different models or if, as redcedar suggests, they are the result of prototyping and/or production changes. Either way, I'm not sure if it's fair to characterize my conclusions as outright false, but I'm happy to see my AK-Builder TG is correct as far as some photos show.

...I wish I spoke Russian. This would be a lot easier. big_smile.gif

Either way, I didn't mean to hijack Ray's thread. Just figured we were operating on parallell paths.

I thinkit's pretty obvious that both trigger gards have been used since there are photo's of both on this model S-12K. Either way, It looks like you are staying faithfull to the factory specs which I appreciate and respect. I too use the akbuilder S-12K trigger gards on my conversions, in order to keep with the correct look and feel of a true factory Saiga-12K. I also stay away from all the after market stocks and PG's that only serve to make a Saiga-12 look like it wants to be an AR-15 when it grows up. Keep up the good work in reproducing factory correct Saiga-12's. Edited by macaholic