So I pretty much have it narrowed down to two. Either the ruger 10-22 or the marlin model 60. Both are about the same price and have a good reputation. I am leaning toward the model 60 since i wont need to buy any mags, as it has a 14rd(i think) tube mag. Im kinda leaning against the 1022 since when I buy it I will have the compulsion to buy a few hi cap mags, and that will be at least 75bucks for the ruger25rd ones. I kinda need to save my money for the moment.

This gun will be a plinker and final straw for home defense, even though 15 or 25rds of 22lr will give most guys a bad day. I cant hunt with it since im in pa. Its also going to be my "get my wife used to holding a rifle" gun, which is important in itself.

Are there any problems with a tube fed 22s which would make a mag fed one more reliable or desireable? And any other ideas or comments would help.

I have a mod. 60 Marlin, and a mod. 74 Winchester .22lr both tube fed magazines, and have never had any problems with either ( thousands and thousands of rounds through them). My Marlin will shoot the ball hairs off of a fly at 75rds all day long with the micro grooved barrel. Its also not particular as far as ammo is concerned. I once read of a guy who loaded hollow arrows with .22 rounds for quickly loading his tube fed magazine. I guess the next time I shoot it, I'll try one to see if it works.Here's a picture of mine...

post-8269-0-35657000-1329710523_thumb.jpg

I have both the 10/22 & M60.

Between the 10/22 & M60, out of the box accuracy is the M60.

I use a Spee-D-Loader and can keep up with all the 10/22s at Appleseed.

Why can't you hunt with a .22lr in PA, ever hear of squirrels/rabbits?

If your last line of HD is a .22lr rifle... Man, you really need to buy another 12g or 20g shotgun or carbine in .223 or larger.

I don't want to give a bad guy a bad day, I want to drop his ass in his tracks & stop the threat.

Pulled the 10/22 out of the box and had to start modifying/tuning it, for both function/ergonomics and accuracy.

It shoots pretty good, but could be better... First thing most folks do with a 10/22 is drop another $$$ on it.

Pulled the M60 out and have never had to do anything but load & clean it, very accurate.

It is my choice for when accuracy is the game, it is my Appleseed LTR rifle.

Edited by ChileRelleno

With the understanding about money being tight now at some point in the future things may be better so buying accessories might then be more of an option or something to get as a gift. While the tube guns are good guns I’ve never liked loading them (ever try it wearing gloves?) I’d get the 10 22 and pick up spare mags as you can.

Edited by 20-Mags

So I pretty much have it narrowed down to two. Either the ruger 10-22 or the marlin model 60. Both are about the same price and have a good reputation. I am leaning toward the model 60 since i wont need to buy any mags, as it has a 14rd(i think) tube mag. Im kinda leaning against the 1022 since when I buy it I will have the compulsion to buy a few hi cap mags, and that will be at least 75bucks for the ruger25rd ones. I kinda need to save my money for the moment.

This gun will be a plinker and final straw for home defense, even though 15 or 25rds of 22lr will give most guys a bad day. I cant hunt with it since im in pa. Its also going to be my "get my wife used to holding a rifle" gun, which is important in itself.

Are there any problems with a tube fed 22s which would make a mag fed one more reliable or desireable? And any other ideas or comments would help.

Marlin 60 for simplicity. With a 22 I don't want to bother with a bunch of magazines, it's primarily a hunting/pest eliminator weapon. But you can also get a Spee-D-Loader tube if you want to be able to fill up quick.

I wouldn't even consider a 22 in my home defense system, they are inherently less reliable, and of course less powerful.

I had had both the 10/22 and the model 60. Sold both of them and bought a Remington 552. Shoots the pants of both of em, and it's different since the charging handle is on the left side with the shell ejector on the right.

I'd go with the model 60 between the two you mention. Ruger hasn't been the same since the old man died.

A 22 as HD gun= pissing somebody off and possibly and asswhooping for you or even worse. My 10/22 has been 100% out of the box and it's got well over 5000 rounds thru it, Ruger now makes their own 25 round mags which are the best I've ever used in it. All I've done to mine is put a scope on it because anything past 25 yards without my glasses is a blur, and I can't shoot iron sights with my glasses, don't ask me why, I just can't

I have 2 10/22's and there are another 4 that have been in my family. They are a well made gun overall, but the reputation is inflated. 10/22s are very prone to stovepipe errors and most seem to want only hotter high velocity ammo. Also, there is enough variance in the castings where the magazines seat, that some will work great with aftermarket banana mags, and some won't work at all, or will need you to hold the mag forward. Owners will tell you thiers is flawless and forget about all those stovepipe jams and that theirs only works with the rotary mag... they blame the magazines.

BTW Tactical Innovations Overpriced 10/22 magazines are servicable, and have set screws that allow you to set them to your gun. Problem solved. They work in one of mine that just refuses to work reliably with the butler creek mags that work fine in the other one.

I have 2 10/22's and there are another 4 that have been in my family. They are a well made gun overall, but the reputation is inflated. 10/22s are very prone to stovepipe errors and most seem to want only hotter high velocity ammo. Also, there is enough variance in the castings where the magazines seat, that some will work great with aftermarket banana mags, and some won't work at all, or will need you to hold the mag forward. Owners will tell you thiers is flawless and forget about all those stovepipe jams and that theirs only works with the rotary mag... they blame the magazines. BTW Tactical Innovations Overpriced 10/22 magazines are servicable, and have set screws that allow you to set them to your gun. Problem solved. They work in one of mine that just refuses to work reliably with the butler creek mags that work fine in the other one.

I agree about the reputation being inflated. I've owned a 10/22 and put a bunch of money into it to make it accurate. My Savage bolt gun out of the box outshot it with ease. My Sig 522 and M&P15-22 where just as accurate out of the box and alot more fun. I've heard nothing but good about the Marlin 60 and the Remington 597. IMO there are better options than the 10/22. Alot of people tend to dress their us all tactical and could have just bought and M&P15-22 and have cheaper and better 25 round mags, plus all the accessories of the AR platform. For your needs I'd go with the Marlin or check out Savage and Remington.

I had had both the 10/22 and the model 60. Sold both of them and bought a Remington 552. Shoots the pants of both of em, and it's different since the charging handle is on the left side with the shell ejector on the right.

I'd go with the model 60 between the two you mention. Ruger hasn't been the same since the old man died.

And with the 552 you can shoot .22 shorts...

I have 2 10/22's and there are another 4 that have been in my family. They are a well made gun overall, but the reputation is inflated. 10/22s are very prone to stovepipe errors and most seem to want only hotter high velocity ammo. Also, there is enough variance in the castings where the magazines seat, that some will work great with aftermarket banana mags, and some won't work at all, or will need you to hold the mag forward. Owners will tell you thiers is flawless and forget about all those stovepipe jams and that theirs only works with the rotary mag... they blame the magazines.

BTW Tactical Innovations Overpriced 10/22 magazines are servicable, and have set screws that allow you to set them to your gun. Problem solved. They work in one of mine that just refuses to work reliably with the butler creek mags that work fine in the other one.

Mine is bone stock apart from the furniture and eats anything. The only malfunctions I have ever had with it were with shitty mags. (Ramline, Eagle). I have owned this rifle for 22 years so I believe I honestly blame the magazines. Factory 10s and the new 25s function flawless in mine.

See that's kind of my point.

It's pretty solidly established in the 10/22 forums that there is a great deal of variance in the pertinent surfaces on 10/22 magwells, and that one gun will never have a problem with any magazine and the next one will /be picky as hell. The fact that yours is one that runs great doesn't contradict this observation at all. I have observed the phenomenon in a number of 10/22's outside my family as well. It seems to be about every other gun that's picky about magazines.

Again, the magazines that work fine in one will not work in the next. The magazine doesn't develop and lose a flaw as it is switched from gun to gun and back.

In case this wasn't clear I am talking about two distinct issues: 1) inconsistent alignment surfaces for seating magazines which cause failures to feed.

2) less than ideal ejection system combined with small opening that leads to stovepipes (A failure to eject issue), this is exacerbated by variances in factors relating to chamber and bolt friction that cause one to be borderline functional with common .22 ammo unless it is on the hotter end, and the next to eat anything without hiccups.

The stovepipe issue is pretty much universal, as the ejection system is not very positive in the way it steers the empty out of a very small opening. I own about 5 factory 10s, 6 or so butler creeks, a ramline POS, and some other terrible banana mag. I also have 3 or 4 of the superior TI mags. My dad has about the same number of factory & butler creek mags. They will stove pipe with any magazine.

Edited by GunFun

i dont know. since i went back to using the bx-25's, and factory 10's, the only jams ive had was with ammo. and thats only with remington golden buttholes and their truncated cone types. since i stopped using remingtons ammo, i havent had any problems using cci, winchester and federals in my 10/22.

id avoid promags for these as well. that drum i had sucked ass. every other round jammed. shitty feed angle is my guess.

but some weapons are finicky.

Sounds like you got lucky and got a good one. I made the mistake of buying a worthless 1st Gen Promag drum too. There is no way that magazine could ever feed a single round it was so badly made. I should have sent it right back. I have heard they fixed the issues with the update right after I got mine, but what a worthless piece of crap.

I've had similar experiance with that remmington ammo, but mine feed remmington lightning pretty well. American Eagle is the worst .22lr I have seen. CCI by the brick is great, and the next best cheap by the brick ammo for my 10/22s and picky S&W 2206TGT that I have used is Winchester Wildcat. It is a bit hotter and runs well without fouling quickly.