i had a bolt action savage from walmart, worked fine but i wanted something with a bit more fun factor. ended up going with a gsg 522 from the local gun shop. priced at $409 plus background check fee, and i havent looked back. it is hands down the most fun gun i own (other than my saiga 12... hehe). has a factory 22 round magazine, plus most H&K mp5 parts fit the gun as well. but to each their own, i've shot 10/22's plenty and it is the AR-15 of .22LR, you cant go wrong with it either

• Like 1

I would go with the 10/22. More parts are available. Mine works perfectly with the factory 25 rounder.

For a 22lr right now I would get a CZ452. Very accurate, good trigger right out of the box. No jams from cheap ammo. 10 shot mags available. Also, quiet with standard velocity ammo.

I have .22 conversions for my ar-15 and 1911. I run the cmmg conversion in my ar-15 and a ceiner in the 1911. After some break in they both work great and run on federal bulk. If you happen to already own an ar they are great for the price and mags are cheap. I have shot around 15k rounds through them combined. Lately I have gotten bored of shooting .22 though, it is a great way to get cheap practice though. The accuracy isn't to bad either, this was one of my first targets at 25 yds.

CIMG6950.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a 10/22. No frills, birch stock, blue barrel but still very nice.

I picked up some remington thunderbolt 40gr RNL, and they worked well with zero malfunctions over 100rds, and seemed pretty consistant. They all ejected well and there was no sound deviation.

I also picked up some federal lightning 40gr RNL, THEY SUCKED. At least two stovepipes per mag. Three or so would bloop out about an inch away on the bench, then one would stove pipe, then four or five would eject fine, and that was in each 10rd mag.

Ill have to do some more shooting and testing to balance performance with accuracy and consistancy.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-1022/DSC08188.JPG

carbine model?

I paid $230 at Dick's SG for mine, could have got a better deal but whatever.

Fired maybe 300 Federal 36gr out of a Walmart 550rd Bulk Pack no issues yet except I think they put some sort of black finish inside of the receiver that wears off. That + cheap ammo = black shit all over hands, mags and of course inside the receiver

Why can't you hunt with a .22lr in PA, ever hear of squirrels/rabbits?

If your last line of HD is a .22lr rifle... Man, you really need to buy another 12g or 20g shotgun or carbine in .223 or larger.

I don't want to give a bad guy a bad day, I want to drop his ass in his tracks & stop the threat.

Sorry chille, wicked late response.

The reason the 22 will be the last in the defense category is, my 9mm, my wifes9mm and my ak. Thats all the guns I have. My wife can out shoot alot of guys with a pistol (because I have been 'training' her for the last two years), but she is shaky at best with a long gun. I would rather get a rifle she can so some 'low impact' training with, before I get another gun she cant shoot (shotgun). She just needs to learn basic mechanics and this will help alot.

There is absolutely no hunting anything with a semi auto rifle in PA. Even a 22. Semi auto shotguns for small game, but no rifles at all. It fucking sucks my balls, but thats the law.

http://www.gunblast....22/DSC08188.JPG

carbine model?

I paid $230 at Dick's SG for mine, could have got a better deal but whatever.

Fired maybe 300 Federal 36gr out of a Walmart 550rd Bulk Pack no issues yet except I think they put some sort of black finish inside of the receiver that wears off. That + cheap ammo = black shit all over hands, mags and of course inside the receiver

Paid 240 at walmart for the basic model with the birch stock. I got a bug up my ass at like 9 oclock at night and didnt care about the extra 20bucks.

Ive put about 200rds through mine, and yes, tons of black shit on my hands and worn off paint on the inside. Thats cool though, it just gets smoother from here.

Edited by Boomsick42

So I finally got a 10/22. No frills, birch stock, blue barrel but still very nice.

I picked up some remington thunderbolt 40gr RNL, and they worked well with zero malfunctions over 100rds, and seemed pretty consistant. They all ejected well and there was no sound deviation.

I also picked up some federal lightning 40gr RNL, THEY SUCKED. At least two stovepipes per mag. Three or so would bloop out about an inch away on the bench, then one would stove pipe, then four or five would eject fine, and that was in each 10rd mag.

Ill have to do some more shooting and testing to balance performance with accuracy and consistancy.

They vary widely but hotter ammo runs better. I have had poor luck with federal in all the 10/22s in my family. CCI Blazer by the brick runs very well. Winchester super X wildcat is the next best brick ammo, then Remington Lightning. I haven't tried the yellow jacket, but I think it would be worthwhile. Peters bricks are marginal. They run if the breach is clean, but once it gets gummy, then the guns get finicky. American Eagle is the worst. Avoid subsonic. I have had bad luck with Aguilla, although others report excellent results. (I probably got the wrong stuff, as aguila makes specialty .22 in oddball configurations) Wolf .22 is supposed to be a top performer, although I have no personal experience. Obviously any high velocity CCI stuff is a good choice.

Also, a good rule of thumb from my experience is that if they pack it loose, the gun probably won't like it. Remington gold tip or whatever it is called frequently FTEs for me.

I had a birthday in high school years in which each of my friends brought me a couple bricks worth of .22 so I did a nearly scientific test of almost every common ammo on the market at the time. It ran out during the 2008 ammo crisis, and I was unable to buy any .22 ammo for almost 6 months.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got both a 10/22 and a m60. Like em both for diferent reasons. I like the 10/22 better. Mine is a new one and works perfect with the ruger 25 rders. It shoots reliably with bulk federal and bulk winchester m22 from walmart. I have shot about 2000 rounds through it since fathers day. You will be glad you got the 10 22. In my opinion it is a good trainer rifle to move up to more serious guns like an ak. Have fun its adictive to just blast away and not care about how much your spending.

72779_sm.jpgone of these ain't bad if your into tube fed bolt actions, very accurate rifle. marlin has came out with the pro fire trigger very similar to savage, good set up.

....model xt-22 tsr

Edited by adjc