First Saiga Shotgun.... .410 Conversion Process

I'd like to document the conversion process of my wife's Saiga .410

January 5, 2012: Joined Saiga-12 forum

January 19, 2012: I bought a 410 as a belated Christmas gift for home defense. Of course it was a prime candidate for a conversion. I have gotten lots of information and help from this forum so I feel confident we can do it.

Here's what I've decided to go with

· ATI 6 position folding stock

· Hogue pistol grip

· Tromix modified G2 FCG

· JTE Hammer Mainspring

· Tromix Both on Charge Handle

· CCS Trigger Guard

· Alumalite Barrel Shroud

· SGM 10 Round Magazine

· Factory 10 Round Magazine (need because the SGM won't handle some 3" ammo)

added: 02/21

• UTG Quick detach double rail scope mount
  • Red/Green Dot sight 30mm, 2 MOA
  • 5mw Red Dot Laser (remote pressure switch)

February 15, 2012: So, I think we have everything we need now the conversion is in progress. It's an interesting experience for me talking my wife through the individual steps. Even though she's never done much mechanical work herself she's seen me do it (all the information and videos on YouTube helps a lot).

February 18, 2012: she field stripped the 410 and removed the butt stock and forearm.

February 20, 2012: drilled out the two rear pins and removed the FCG components, BHO and safety lever. Needed a Band-Aid, main Spring bit her finger...

Edited by Themajickman
  • Like 1

I'll definitely try to get some photos posted. My understanding is that there are factory 8 round 2 1/2" mags but, like you say they are real scarce. I don't see any aftermarket company making them because the demand probably isn't there. Much more interest in the 12gauge than the 410.

Cool! Please post photos.

I love my .410, except for the cost of ammo.

I wish SGM (or someone) would produce some 2.5" mags. The factory ones are like hen's teeth.

Edited by Themajickman

February 21: it took about an hour of drilling chiseling and grinding but the three rivets holding the old trigger guard finally bit the dust. It's sure not as easy as it appears to be in those YouTube videos, LOL. Now it's time to tape and touch up with some high-temperature paint.

Edited by Themajickman

February 22: while my wife tried her best she was unable to complete the conversion process. The BHO lever and spring were just too much so I had to contact my son. He came over and in about an hour finished up the conversion. I like it but I'm thinking about getting a different stock because the ATI seems to be a bit too long because it has the folding feature. Going with one that adjusts and doesn't fold might be the ticket. Here's a picture of how it turned out. I'm still missing the muzzle shroud which should arrive in the next couple of days.

Edit to add picture of shroud

post-38987-0-56827800-1329998833_thumb.jpg

post-38987-0-83360100-1330044457_thumb.jpg

post-38987-0-10065100-1330044487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Themajickman
  • Like 1

It seems like a lot but, I chose the 410 because the 12 gauge was just too much for my wife and couldn't find a 20 gauge for a reasonable price in the correct configuration. At the end of the day the whole thing (410+ parts) ended up costing right around $700. The barrel shroud was the most expensive item, but it looks cool 027.gif

Wow, that's a lot of stuff on a s410! Congrats on your conversion.

• Like 1

Went with the .410 for the same reasons. My wife is recoil sensative due a bad car wreck damaging her back and shoulder blade. They are fun, and do fine job for their intended purpose. Plan getting an S12 at some point, but there several other guns and ammo that have higher priority right now.

The build looks awesome.

It seems like a lot but, I chose the 410 because the 12 gauge was just too much for my wife and couldn't find a 20 gauge for a reasonable price in the correct configuration. At the end of the day the whole thing (410+ parts) ended up costing right around $700. The barrel shroud was the most expensive item, but it looks cool 027.gif

Wow, that's a lot of stuff on a s410! Congrats on your conversion.

The shroud does look awesome!

My wife and son took the 410 out to a friends farm this weekend for its maiden outing. Very impressed with it. Nothing seemed to cycle correctly on setting 1. Everything worked fine on #2. We shot about 90 rounds and hopefully once it's broke in it will begin cycling on number 1. Here is a short video of it that I have posted on YouTube. Enjoy

Edited by Themajickman

My wife and son took the 410 out to a friends farm this weekend for its maiden outing. Very impressed with it. Nothing seemed to cycle correctly on setting 1. Everything worked fine on #2. We shot about 90 rounds and hopefully once is broke and it will begin cycling on number 1. Here is a short video of it that I have posted on YouTube. Enjoy

Were all of the issues failure to eject with setting 1?

Yes all the failures were FTE. Worked extremely well on setting 2. I don't think I had any real powerful 3" shells so I'm going to try again with some hot loads and see if it makes a difference. I'm also ordering a MD ARMs adjustable gas plug to see if that helps. It's real hard finding any 3" shells around my area except at Wal-Mart, and their selection sucked. It's becoming more obvious that the 410 ammunition is both expensive and hard to find. If you buy it online the shipping makes it ridiculously expensive