Any muzzle brakes that actually work?

So I threaded my barrel and installed a muzzle brake and the only thing I noticed is it is louder. Plain and simple, is there a muzzle brake out there that will minimize muzzle rise? I don't care what it looks like or how much it cost.

More effective the brake the more noise you will get. That is how it works it seems.

I found an AMD 65 brake to be very effective. I also drilled some holes in the top of the brake and there is very little recoil or rise.

762002.jpg

The 74 really works well on my SGL-21.

I like it so much, I ordered one for my WASR.

They "claim" a 50% reduction in recoil, I would say it is at least 30-40% or so.

Just my 2 cents......

post-32211-0-17589400-1330181663_thumb.jpg

Edited by armory

Once i get my new barrel pinned in place and her all reassembled, I'm going to do a comparison video between the Krebs, KVAR and Bulgarian '74 brakes. I'm curious to see the differences and whether or not i will have issues firing .30 cal out of the Bulgarian brake.

add me in as a second vote for the FSC47, does not reduce felt recoil but rather redirects it... straight back, makeing follow up shots MUCH easier as your PoA changes FAR less.... thats what I was after more than something to " tame " the recoil as the 762 is quite tolerable to someone of my size.... killing the muzzle flip and turning it into a direct straight back push is a big plus....

as a side note, its also a better than fair flash supresser as well... while its not sold as or touted as a flash supresser, it works as well as most items i've tried that are DESIGNED as flash supressers....

they are expensive... but if the coinage is not an issue, imho, they are as good as it gets

Edited by datrowl

Hey guys thanks for the input, its been a while and I don't exactly remember where I got it from. Here are a couple pics of the top and side if that helps.

Datrowl- yea I def don't mind the recoil its the quicker follow up shots I'm after.

post-22571-0-46957800-1330309446_thumb.jpg

post-22571-0-23083800-1330309480_thumb.jpg

My Arsenal came with a US made 24mm "zig zag" 74-style Bulgy brake. With the foregrip I added, muzzle rise is minimum, but the fireball off surplus Yugo is wicked(flame out all 3 holes and out the forward cuts). If I shoot regular Tulammo or Winchester, the fireball is a minimum.

P1010977.jpg

ETA: I'll snap some close up pics when I get home tomorrow. Oldest has the camera at the moment.

Edited by Lone Eagle

Hey guys thanks for the input, its been a while and I don't exactly remember where I got it from. Here are a couple pics of the top and side if that helps.

Datrowl- yea I def don't mind the recoil its the quicker follow up shots I'm after.

Looks like a CNC Warrior Vz. 58-style. Good to hear that it works. I was interested in getting one of the 14x1mmL versions a while ago but hadn't heard anything about them one way or another.

norcarl thats what i thought but i was just making sure i didnt have it backwards lol i like the slant and have them on both my aks. i think the 74 style is for 74s and the slants and real birdcages are for the 47s but everyone has an opinion. i may try and get a euro birdcage type flash hider when i eventually get my posp on there but for now i like the slants look and function

norcarl thats what i thought but i was just making sure i didnt have it backwards lol i like the slant and have them on both my aks. i think the 74 style is for 74s and the slants and real birdcages are for the 47s but everyone has an opinion. i may try and get a euro birdcage type flash hider when i eventually get my posp on there but for now i like the slants look and function

Actually your Saiga is a '74M chambered in 7.62x39. All they are is a different caliber on the updated '74M platform.

Factory AK103, .30cal/7.62x39 with correct '74 style brake...

ak103_1.png

(Factory Izhmash photo)

Edited by Mullet Man
  • 2 weeks later...

I love my Miculek for .223.

I've had '74 Bulgarian zig-zag (but on my 5.45) and loved it, but believe Miculek is even more effective (on my .223).

He's got version for .308 as well.

At the price CTD sells them for, I'd get one, modify and put on for use with larger caliber, if you're willing to put an extra effort.

I shot Tula, Federal, Lake City, Winchester and few others and like them all with this comp.

You can set it up at "1 o'clock" (if you're RH-sided) and it works well with use of support hand (left in this case).

And, despite some statements, I didn't find it too loud.

I love it!

Here is a video of my comp in action.

Hope that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKldS_etXw&feature=youtu.be

Frankly, my next comp will be the one I design and build (executed by my good machinist friend).

Have fun,

Happy Shooting!

post-28515-0-63918700-1331331051_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-35173400-1331330902_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

The 74 really works well on my SGL-21.

I like it so much, I ordered one for my WASR.

They "claim" a 50% reduction in recoil, I would say it is at least 30-40% or so.

Just my 2 cents......

Fwi. The 74 brake you have on your SGL is far different than the one in 14x1lh for your wasr. Especially if the one you ordered for wasr is tapco.

Don't expect the same results from the tapco as the real bulgy zig zag. Or even the k var us made bulgy 74 copy for that matter

I've played with a fair amount of muzzle brakes, comps, and flash hiders. FSC47, slant, nightshroud, nightbrake(

), bird cage a2 style, bird cage, AK74 type's(real 24mm design and shitty 14mm), beer can, phantoms.

In terms of perceived recoil and time back on target the differences are very very small... My grip and shouldering(read TRAINING) have had a much larger impact on both. Much more so than any muzzle attachment addition ever has.

If you are hard pressed on a brake/comp get one with some flash hiding ability. Or better yet just get a pure flash hider.

Also KISS... Size and money wise. Battlecomp does top out all the others in muzzle rise. Would I rather get a $30 flash hider and spend the left over $170 on training? HELL YES.

These work fine(actually recommend the Krebs since the brownell's doesnt have the detent notch):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/828794/krebs-custom-guns-m16-a2-style-flash-hider-m14x10-lh-thread-ak-47-ak-74-steel-matte

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40773/sku=997-000-004/Product/A2-Style-Flash-Hider

Oh and no beer can's on any barrels < 12"s. Bad idea. Same boat as permanently attaching a KX3 on a 13.7" AR barrel. If you want it because it looks cool, fine. Just call it what it is. Sacrificing a trunnion/bolt carrier for the sake of looks.

• Like 1

I've played with a fair amount of muzzle brakes, comps, and flash hiders. FSC47, slant, nightshroud, nightbrake(

), bird cage a2 style, bird cage, AK74 type's(real 24mm design and shitty 14mm), beer can, phantoms.

In terms of perceived recoil and time back on target the differences are very very small... My grip and shouldering(read TRAINING) have had a much larger impact on both. Much more so than any muzzle attachment addition ever has.

If you are hard pressed on a brake/comp get one with some flash hiding ability. Or better yet just get a pure flash hider.

Also KISS... Size and money wise. Battlecomp does top out all the others in muzzle rise. Would I rather get a $30 flash hider and spend the left over $170 on training? HELL YES.

These work fine(actually recommend the Krebs since the brownell's doesnt have the detent notch):

http://www.midwayusa...-74-steel-matte

http://www.brownells...yle-Flash-Hider

Oh and no beer can's on any barrels < 12"s. Bad idea. Same boat as permanently attaching a KX3 on a 13.7" AR barrel. If you want it because it looks cool, fine. Just call it what it is. Sacrificing a trunnion/bolt carrier for the sake of looks.

Amen. I have a RJF A2 birdcage on mine. Hold your weapon on target, that's your brake. Force that muzzle down. If you MUST have a product to aid you, get a gas pedal or Larue hand stop.