Replacing stock trigger on non converted saiga .308

I've been looking into purchasing a saiga .308 sometime in the near future. I don't want to convert it because I just want to keep the factory configuration. But, due to the fact that the stock triggers aren't all that great I do want to replace it with a better trigger kit. Are there any such triggers that will work with unmodified saiga rifles?

Also will I have to do any serious modifications to the rifle to replace the trigger in it's current factory configuration or will the trigger be a drop-in kit?

Just convert it, that is your only option.

Pretty much this. This has come up before and I don't think there was a viable option mentioned other than maybe polishing the stock trigger group. If you haven't fired one before maybe you will be happy enough with it as is if you don't want to convert it. Not that bad of a pull (to me) it was just the weird "up and back" motion rather than just straight back.

Just convert it, that is your only option.

Pretty much this. This has come up before and I don't think there was a viable option mentioned other than maybe polishing the stock trigger group. If you haven't fired one before maybe you will be happy enough with it as is if you don't want to convert it. Not that bad of a pull (to me) it was just the weird "up and back" motion rather than just straight back.

I'm aware of the upward motion of the trigger (I used to have an old .22 that was like that) and it wasn't too bad. I'm looking into conversion kits now, but I'm not too confident that I would be able to do it without ruining the rifle. Are .308 saigas different to convert versus .223s, 5.45s and 7.62 rifles?

• 3 months later...

The 308 is the easiest to do. Dinzags got all the stuff you need to convert and you will thank yourself afterwards. The difference between the two configurations is night and day. I was a little nervous, thinking I might screw up my rifle but in reality you are actually "fixing" the screwed up hunting configuration and putting it back to what Gen Kalashnikov had in mind.

Edited by Berzerker2
  • 2 weeks later...

The .308 doesn't have the wishbone linkage trigger that other Saigas have. So it break better than other Saiga triggers. It has more slack than a converted trigger. It is not unbearable in stock configuration but certainly not as clean or quick as a converted trigger. I'm on the fence on converting my trigger. Mainly because I don't think many stock options are going to work well to manage the recoil of the rifle. A NATO length AK stock isn't going to give me enough eye relief to keep from getting scoped by side rail mounted optic so I would probably need a Beryl or TWS type rail where I could move the scope forward and an adjustable Black Horse SVD stock is over $200 but would work with a side rail optic. I'm not sure the gain with worth the pain. I can only put .308 down range so fast anyway.

but in reality you are actually "fixing" the screwed up hunting configuration and putting it back to what Gen Kalashnikov had in mind.

Remember, this gun is built in a real Russian AK factory where they build real military AK's. They took a real AK, & converted it in Russia to be legally imported into the USA. Many people here in the USA then restore the gun to it's original configuration. The 308 is the easiest, & there are no holes in the receiver to fill like on the other caliber Saigas. GARY N4KVE
  • 3 weeks later...