I hate to part with any firearm, but I'm thinking about selling my mini-14 to fund a new project. I have a pre-ban ss mini with a Butler Creek folder. It's a nice rifle, but I don't shoot it anymore and want to fund a 5.45 Saiga. I wonder what it is worth with the new improved mini-14's out. Any ideas what it's worth?

Honestly, selling my mini was one of two guns I will never regret getting rid of. I'm not sure about yours, but I could never get that thing to shoot well. It was all over the map. Between that and the Red Label, I pretty much swore off Ruger.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I heard the Mini-14 early on had it's difficulties, the new ones I've heard ironed some problems out, one of which was stringing shots. New Minis have thicker barrels that are said among some owners to be better. The other issue is mags. Unless they're Ruger made mags (which are not cheap) I've heard from other owners that they are likely to jam on you.

I wouldn't mind having one to play around with but it's way down on my list. Not to mention I have a new project going while I'm trying to get the old one wrapped up.

The one I would get would be a new Mini-14 though. I've had good fortune with thicker barrels. Granted, not as thick as my AR barrel but every lil bit helps.

One south american country made the Mini-14 the standard service rifle for a while. Never heard anything good or bad about it but eventually they decided to go in a different direction and issued a different service rifle. Can't remember which country it was but for those rifles, they even had the fun mode. Pretty interesting read.

i wouldnt pay what they want for them. my buddy bought a mini 30 and it couldnt hit shit. a lot of it was him, but i shot it a few times and didnt really care for it. it fed fine, but the accuracy and consistancy wasnt there to justify the almost 700 dollar price tag.

True, the accuracy of stock Minies is not that impressive. My gunsmith has customized several using a heavy barrel and custom gas block, results being as good as a 0.5 MOA group at 100 yds. To some folks it's worth the extra $$.

I've had several mini 14's and a mini 30.

Accuracy was not awesome, but acceptable, the mini 30 was a tack driver with handloads but performed poorly with cheap russian fodder, so I gave it it's walking papers.

The real hi point of the mini 14 is that it's a .556 with a strong action, vs the shits-where-it-eats, blows-apart-if-you-look-at-it-wrong, disgrace-of-a-weapons-platform AR. But with the advent of a wide range of reliable guns in anti-squirrel calibers that advantage has lessened.

Sell it if you're inclined and buy the 5.45, ammo should be cheaper (?)

my biggest problem with it was the price vs. performance. the robustness of the action seemed fine. but the end result just didnt seem like it was worth it in the end. i wouldnt mind paying 400 or so for one, but 700 is asking a bit much. 450 or so is about where i would catagorize the weapon for where it should be sold. others' flavors may vary, but i stand firm in what i experienced.

to be honest, my sgl ran off and left that thing in the dirt, and didnt cost a whole lot more than what my buddy paid for it. i was smoking targets all day and he couldnt hit shit. i felt like he got took. even shooting east german surplus that thing should have been better than it was. i cant really rule it out completely without trying a good optic on it, but until then my outlook on it is questionable at best. and im trying to be fair, as i dont want it to suck. i like the design and platform, i just dont care for the overall performance that i witnessed.

• Like 1