I want to be able to do some gun shows and online since most of the gun traffic locally are at cabelas which is 45 min from me and academy which is like 5 min from me. And as any of you have been in academy know that their selection is ok but they could definetly use more selection. And being in the area thought it would be rather easy to get into a niche market considering the limited selection of where i live. So those with an ffl am i wrong in buying a kit and boning up on my info for it? How easy/hard? Need to know before going through. I've heard it's a go no go sort of thing if you don't get it the first time there is no second time. Anyways forum ppls have at it.

Don't you have to have a legitimate reason for them to give you an FFL? From what i have read i don't think Mr. Average Joe can just ask for an FFL and expect to get one. I have no clue on how to acquire one but reading up on it doesn't hurt. I have seen a few websites that claim 100% guide to getting your FFL.

Edited by Corruptz0rz

Long as you plan on doing a business in a relative time, aren't on their shitlist, no liens or child support, get signed off by a chief of police or judge, do the paperwork correctly and aren't a retard in life. Theoretically it should be legal to do in your own domicile. that's what the atf said. And not to mention pass inspection that's the biggie. After 60 days they'll want to make sure you aren't so idiot in a shed and know your laws. then in a couple weeks you should get a license sent to you with your info on it.

the days of "kitchen table dealers" is long gone. no longer can you live in the burbs and have a FFL, that is what drove a lot people out of renewal of their FFL. you either have to have a shop in a zoned commercially, or in a township where you can run a business out out of your home. then there is a whole bunch of other things that come with that, like filing for county tax. state tax licenses , separate entrance to your business etc.... etc... thent here are local laws.

there is a whole lot of things involve then you know. which these "FFL kits" don't tell you. there is going to have to be a lot of research on your part.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

You could always go to the ATF website and read exactly what is involved in having an FFL. I know you need a separate entrance and a surveillance system is required.

Edited by Yeoldetool

I am by far no expert on the subject, but as long as you pass the background checks, pay the fees, etc. I think anyone can get an FFL. Record keeping has to be done of course, but I can't imagine it being as restrictive as some think.

The guy who handled the transfers of every firearm I've bought in the last 5 years runs it as a side business out of his house. He was in it for the transfer business and sold the occasional gun once or twice a month. No gun shop or anything at his place, just the family home...

Local municipalities will often have a requirement for a certain zoning to conduct business as a gun dealer... but this should only be in regards to getting a business license and LE sign off.

From what I understand, as long as it isn't for the primary purpose of building your own collection, you should be okay. You have to be in business to do business. Only having 10 transfers in one year isn't likely going to keep your FFL for the next year. Being a gun show dealer or a guy with limited on-hand stock that does transfers is pretty common around here.

Don't tell ATF you only plan on real sales at gun shows and online. You will NOT get approved. You also have to have business hours. You also give them the right to enter your home for inspection at their discretion., i.e. no warrants needed to enter your home. Do more research. I grew up with a father that was an FFL.

My local dealer is out of his basment he is a Class 3 dealer and has 20+ dealer samples and and sell to 75% of the PD's in a 50 mile radius of where he lives he only sells 5 guns a week on average plus transfers but it is his retirement job and it supports his gun habit he has been in business for 19 years and has never had any problems.

see i have a spare room in apt that's just perfect for an opertation like that. Plus I want to get a glock 18 and scare my neighbors. .. oh a man can dream.

you can't run a gun business out of a apt. for one. and the second, if you think you will be able to get a glock 18 with a 01 FFL, you are dreaming.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Separate entrance? I've read nothing about that on the ATF site. That or a surveilance system. It'll be just for internet and gun show sales why would it matter if i have a separate entrance?

I know it Utah you can have one in your home. One I frequent does all of his business from his home. His entrance is his front door! He does have 3 huge safes and an office are where he sells ammo, mags, and does all the paperwork. It's a nice little set up. He has NO overhead and uses a VERY popular classifieds sight to advertise. His prices are usually lower than most so I do alot of business with him. He does it evenings and weekends, and works at the airforce base during the day . Makes me want to do the same in my home. I'm sure it differs from state to state like someone previously mentioned.

Good luck I am unsure if your local LEO will sign off with you living in a Apt there is alot of liability with a FFL and being in a Apt but all you can do in try. Good luck.

It's actually one of the options on the form. So i doubt I'd be the only one.

see i have a spare room in apt that's just perfect for an opertation like that. Plus I want to get a glock 18 and scare my neighbors. .. oh a man can dream.

you can't run a gun business out of a apt. for one. and the second, if you think you will be able to get a glock 18 with a 01 FFL, you are dreaming.

that's why i'm getting a class 3 when i file. best $1000 bucks i ever spent.
  • Like 1

Separate entrance? I've read nothing about that on the ATF site. That or a surveilance system. It'll be just for internet and gun show sales why would it matter if i have a separate entrance?

I know it Utah you can have one in your home. One I frequent does all of his business from his home. His entrance is his front door! He does have 3 huge safes and an office are where he sells ammo, mags, and does all the paperwork. It's a nice little set up. He has NO overhead and uses a VERY popular classifieds sight to advertise. His prices are usually lower than most so I do alot of business with him. He does it evenings and weekends, and works at the airforce base during the day . Makes me want to do the same in my home. I'm sure it differs from state to state like someone previously mentioned.

From the information in the kit. It makes way less complicated then what most people are aware. It's clear and straight forward. And as long as everything is on the up and up it seems like an easy enough process it's just time consuming. Just as long as the zoning laws of city/state give you the thumbs up you're good to go. And don't forget your taxes on the business that's kind of important.

Reading over these posts I realize how misinformed people are concerning FFL's. The FFL 123 is a good kit and Brandon is a good guy that is reachable and willing to help.

There is a lot to it, so make sure you do your homework, but it's not as hard as you think, follow the plan. I am a home based class 3 manufacturer, I was awarded my lic in January, so I know it can be done. I will tell you there is not much markup in firearms, but you can make money doing it. Best of luck

Reading over these posts I realize how misinformed people are concerning FFL's. The FFL 123 is a good kit and Brandon is a good guy that is reachable and willing to help.

There is a lot to it, so make sure you do your homework, but it's not as hard as you think, follow the plan. I am a home based class 3 manufacturer, I was awarded my lic in January, so I know it can be done. I will tell you there is not much markup in firearms, but you can make money doing it. Best of luck

Does this vary from state-to-state or something? My go-to FFL works from his home, which is an apartment in a large complex. He has no store-front and no show-case or any kind.

It varies from city to city and only affects your ability to get a business license and local LEO sign off. Some zoning ordinances will restrict firearms dealers to commercial zoning and won't allow one in residential or multifamily zoned properties. My SOT dealer operates out of his house, but is located in the county jurisdiction where it is permitted, not the city where it is not.

This has nothing to do with the ATF or the form and will vary from place to place.

Call up your local community development department to clarify your zoning requirements before sending $1000 to the feds.

Good luck on the endeavor!

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

It varies from city to city and only affects your ability to get a business license and local LEO sign off.

This may be different from city to city also, but I was not required to get the local LEO to sign off. All that was required of me in that regard is to infom them of my intent.