Gas Block Removal Jig

Dimensions on the "horseshoe" that slips over the barrel and sits against the reciever/front trunnion. I used a piece of scrap steel 1/2" thick. The barrel measures 1.127" in diameter, I cut a 1" hole and ground away the inside till it fit over the barrel.

post-1806-1125366218_thumb.jpg

I then made an adapter to fit the bottom side of the gas block. The small hole is just larger than a 5MM bolt, which is used to attach the adapter to the gas block via the fore grip bolt hole. When mounted, an 11/32 drill bit will fit through the larger hole in the adapter and the corresponding hole in the gas block. Between this and the shoulder milled into the adapter, little force is placed on the 5mm bolt so it won't shear off.

post-1806-1125366722_thumb.jpg

Mods to the shorter bolt. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the head of the bolt, this corresponds with the dimple in the face of the gas block adapter. A short 3/8" diameter pin fits between them, keeping the bolt in place while pressing off the gas block. The washers let the bolt's head turn against the adapter without galling.

I used 5/8" course thread bolts and a coupler nut. I had grade 8 bolts on hand, but the coupler is grade 5 and I figure grade 5 bolts would hold up just fine.

post-1806-1125367181_thumb.jpg

The jig assembled on the weapon. I'd already pressed the block off when I took the pic, I actually started with a shorter bolt, pressed the gas block about 1/2", then removed the bolts and swapped out to a longer bolt. I used a 3", a 3 1/2", and a 4" bolt to press the gas block off. During the operation I held the coupler nut with a wrench and turned the short bolt with another wrench. The gas block pressed off with little effort, without damage to either the gas block or the barrel.

post-1806-1125367700_thumb.jpg

I haven't put it back yet, right now I'm more interested in making another adapter to press out the barrel itself.

The hot/cold trick may get the gas block back in position, if not I can use the adapter and press it back in place on a shop press.