IZ240 or IZ340, Help!

So my and my wife, yup shes awesome, are going to convert our first Saiga. We are trying to figure out the differences between the 240 and 340. All my google-fu has been able to come up with is that the 340 has the "front end" already done? Well that is just grand, but I have no idea what the means. Is it something I can do on my own or is it really worth the extra $150 to start that way?

We plan on using the following parts for the build:

Red Star Trigger (G2 if Red Star never gets back in stock lol)

TE Performance Power Hammer Spring /Main Spring

Probably the Arsenal Folding Stock, its just so sexy lol!

Bullet Guide

Some form of Taticool furniture

Rails

Optics (Wife loves shooting with scopes, so I suppose I have to indulge her lol)

Extended Mag Release

New Grips obviously (probably something that can be customized easily since two differnt shooters will be using it)

Anything else I'm missing to make this a really reliable, relatively accurate, and fun gun to shot?

She is really fond over the over tatical looking rifles and I am trying to blend a bit more traditional into it but either way should be a blast =)

the completed front end includes 24mm front sight block threaded for a muzzle break with a metal sleeve over the threads. Also it comes with a regular gas tube and hand guard retainer. So if the ability to be able to install a muzzle break and real Ak handguards is what you want then spend the extra bucks.

• Like 1

I have read reports that the hg retainer and hand guards are loose. I cannot confirm nor deny this claim, but the gas block has no bayo nor cleaning rod hole either to my knowledge....I would start with the base saiga and build it to true spec if it were me

I'm on the fence about this too, but am strongly leaning towards the 340 for the threaded muzzle. I have a few more questions, sorry to beat a dead horse.....

If I want to add US hanguards, can I use the stock retainers that come with 340? Is it an easy swap?

How much does a muzzle break help? Is it a big difference?

Does the 340 need a bullet giude?

Thanks

I have not swapped the handguards but I would think the retainers would work for US handguards. I have not put a bullet guide in and have fired about 100 rounds without a problem using Polish surplus mags.. Not sure on the muzzle break, I need to fire it some more and then remove it and fire some and see. i don't think the difference was huge.

I have not swapped the handguards but I would think the retainers would work for US handguards. I have not put a bullet guide in and have fired about 100 rounds without a problem using Polish surplus mags.. Not sure on the muzzle break, I need to fire it some more and then remove it and fire some and see. i don't think the difference was huge.

Thanks for the info. What trigger did you go with? Good job on your build, it looks great!

ok,thanks for the reply's all. I think the price is worth the reduction in headache for this first project! If we really want the bayonet lug, we install a bulgarian FSB right? Looking at the sticky about it, looks doable just not easy.

actually I would use a Russian parts for mine thank you, but you can use Bulgarian if you wish. and it sure looks like a sporter gas block without the cleaning rod hole to me... I see that as incomplete as some of my projects, but if that is what suits you then by all means go for it...like I said my guns are incomplete, and will be for some time.

The front end conversion is a major pain if you do not have the right tools and some basic know how to do the work. I converted the front end on my gun all myself and I have a fabrication shop with everything at my disposal and it still was touch and go at points. Turned out awesome, but it wasn't that easy really. I did it more for self satisfaction than anything. The extra money for the 340 is very much worth it if you want the traditional 74 front end look, without all the hassle. The only thing that you are missing is the accessory lug on the gas block, if that even matters to you.

OP, why are you interested in the performance power spring?

In general I'm a fan of the smoothest trigger pull I can find and INITIALLY it seemed like the way to go. I still might but first I'm just going to do a basic conversion and then tinker with it and find what I like best.

Do you have experiences either way with the JTE spring?

A twisted wire spring is many times more reliable. It not only has the redundancy of 2 wires, but being longer than a single straight wire they flex less at any one point so there is less fatigue of the metal, giving a longer service life.

• 1 month later...