Mako side folder + Limbsaver Question

I am thinking of getting the Mako side folder: mako-ak-47-tactical-folding-stock-300x188.jpg

But I would like to have a Limbsaver buttpad on it. If the rubber pad that comes on it is removed, is there a Limbsaver that would work?

I know an option would be the grind-to-fit Limbsaver. Would that work? They come in 3 different sizes, but I don't know the dimensions of the Mako stock.

Does anyone have experience with this?

You could get the dimensions and do a grind to fit. IMO, Kick EEZ is nicer if you are going to go to the trouble.

I would try the Mako first pad before I swapped it for a Limbsaver. Limbsaver basically makes a solid foamed rubber grind to fit, and rubber with structure for pre-fits. The prefit pads are probably a bit nicer, but in design they aren't really all that different from any other design that relies on cavities except for shape and durometer, and whether the rubber will get hard over time. The mako looks like it uses this principle too. May as well see if it works before you replace it. Especially since that stock looks pretty good already.

I know limbsaver recently started selling pre-fits for the Magpul Stocks. That may be a similar shape to your mako.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

I appreciate the answers guys. I currently have an M4 Limbsaver for my Tapco, but doesn't seem like it would be an easy fit.

GunFun, I haven't heard of Kick EEZ, and will look into them. I definitely would try out the buttpad that comes with the stock, but I figured it wouldn't be nearly as good as the Limbsaver I have on my Tapco.

They absorb a comparable amount of kick to limbsaver, but feel firmer on the shoulder and are solid. Sorbethane sort of works like the opposite of "martian mud" and they don't get hard with age like rubber. Effectively any size with a bigger footprint than what you end up with is a grind-to-fit because they don't have hollow cavities.

I just look on ebay for anything around $10 and check to see if the model is at least as big as the stock it is going on. If you look at my thread for my stock build on my IZ-109 I go through the grind to fit process. You would use similar steps with a Limbsaver grind-to-fit. In either case, freezing before grinding helps a great deal with grinder grab and chatter, so you get a smooth factory looking finish.

I would suggest getting a stock that has a comb that is in line with the top of the bore. I can tell you from experience that the recoil impulse seems to be reduced with an in-line stock. The drop design of the Mako is not going to be ideal. If I were not going to use 5.5mm folders or KVar WARSAW (both of which are basically in line), I would likely use the R&R AR15 tube adapter, milspec diameter tube, and a quality AR stock with a wide butt and very thin pad. I don't even like AR stocks on Kalashnikovs, but the Mako is not a good design for these weapons. Also, when choosing stocks, a narrow butt gives a very sharp recoil impulse (see triangle folder), so the wider it is at the rear, the less sharp the recoil impulse will feel. You may be able to go with a stock that has a wider footprint instead of a thock or soft pad, and get similar results without the weird rythm issue and cycling problems that can be created by a thick or soft pad. I bought the AGP folder that comes with the 1" ACE pad and it caused both firing rythm and cycling problems. I removed it and the rythm and cycling problems ceased. Just trying to help. Get what you like and share your experience with us.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe people complain about ak recoil, are you girls? Serious too, aks just dont kick at all really.

This is a twelve gauge we're talking about here, while I don't particularly find the recoil to be very bad on the S-12, it's nothing like an AK recoil pulse...