New chaos extended quad rail off-center due to bad hole in gas block

Hello,

Just received my quad rail.

Absolutely fell in love at first sight.

Very solid.

Upon further examination after installation however, I noticed that it is off-center.

Is this the design of the rail?

First instinct tells me it is the screw-hole being off a bit because when I line it up center without the screw in,

the holes are a bit off.

I will link photos as my pictures are too large to upload, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/beatnick4/IMG_20120222_161806.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/beatnick4/IMG_20120222_161809.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/beatnick4/IMG_20120222_165645.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/beatnick4/IMG_20120222_165747.jpg

I am having a hard time seeing what you are talking about from the pics. Is it crooked when installed? These guns are all different and I would assume that the rails are all identical. Is it possible that it is your gun that is making it look off? Then again I cant really see it. Just typing my thoughts. GL

it is hard to notice in pictures, you have to look very closely.

looking at the gun itself it is very obvious.

if you look at the first two pictures you will notice that there is a gap on the right of the gas tube, but it is snug on the left.

also if you look at the stock front sight, you will see the same thing.

on the bottom two pictures you will notice a larger gap on the left side of the barrel than the right.

it is a possibility that the screw hole on my gun is a little off or something.

like you said the guns differ, but i assume that when it comes to the handguards, they are almost all the same.

if only i had a friend with another rail i could swap to check.

i think i figured it out.

i think the screw hole is a little crooked.

i took the caliper to it and did what i could, cant really ideally measure it in any way i have thought of.

i really do not understand why these guns seem to differ from each other all the time.

if anyone has an idea on a fix for this,

i would greatly appreciate it, a weld here and there perhaps?

or maybe weld in the old hole and re-drill and tap?

this is really a big bummer for me...

waited 2 months for it.

on the other hand, it is still a great rail and luckily, it is a SHOTGUN.

I can imagine your disappointment, although we try and give our rail some open movement for install we can't cover something this far out! Relocating the gas block hole is your best opition. I also edited your title to reflect the ture nature of the problem you're having.

• Like 1

You can fill the screw hole with another screw, cut it off flush and re-drill a new centered hole to take a threaded insert. Do not use a helicoil, use the larger solid insert. That should replace all of the old off center hole with solid metal.

• Like 1

I can imagine your disappointment, although we try and give our rail some open movement for install we can't cover something this far out! Relocating the gas block hole is your best opition. I also edited your title to reflect the ture nature of the problem you're having.

how would i go about this?

You can fill the screw hole with another screw, cut it off flush and re-drill a new centered hole to take a threaded insert. Do not use a helicoil, use the larger solid insert. That should replace all of the old off center hole with solid metal.

pardon me if im misunderstanding,

but once i screw in and a cut off a screw, and drill,

wont the existing screw material be a little loose?

before i start drilling and changing things i am going to try bending the screw in the right place enough to shift it over a bit.

i will post results if it works in case anyone else runs in to this problem.

but i am open to any other advice to solve this.

thanks guys

how would i go about this?

You'll need someone to fill in the hole, then drill and tap it in the right location.

They fix diesel cylinder head cracks with a line of overlapping screws. Run the screw in tight, cut it off, stake it with a punch and drill the new hole. If you use a solid insert, none of the old hole will be left. You could also drill the old hole out and tap to 1/4-28 run a screw in with red loctite, cut that off and drill the new hole in it.