Incorrectly bent USSG reciever??

TLDR = I bought a 09' (I believe thats the year) USSG 16" saiga .233, receiver is bent wrong and that throws off the rear sight block/sights, anybody ever dealt with them before or think they will give me a different rifle? I doubt they would bother trying to fix it. Anybody ever had this problem with a USSG or other importer/ year rifle?

Well, much to my dismay, I received my brand new USSG imported 16" barrel .223 saiga from my FFL a couple days ago thinking I was getting a decent quality AK versus the last purchase of my now sold WASR-10/63 which had canted front sights which weren't too hard to fix. Anyways, I got the rifle out and put some rounds through it to test before I do an AK conversion and ar-15 mag MSA conversion. After shooting I noticed the rear sight leaf was cocked to the right. When I got home, I tore the rifle apart and guess what. The RECEIVER is bent oblong!! One of the vertical sides of the receiver is taller than the other and since the rear sight block has the pin connecting it through the trunion and the trunion is riveted to the receiver, the rear sight block is cocked to the right a bit. The front sight base and gas tube appear to be in line with each other but they are on a slightly different alignment, so they hang left more-so than the rear sight block. Of course the site where I bought it says absolutely no returns on firearms so now I have to go through USSG, which so far has been pretty poor customer service. I wonder if they are going to even be able to do anything for me because the rifle itself is screwed. You would have to replace the receiver. Hope this turns out ok. Anybody else had problems with USSG Saiga .223s? I think its an 09' rifle because it says that under a funny looking stamp with sideways opposite facing "M"s on the front right of the receiver. I understand AK's aren't precision builds by any means but this is unacceptable. Has anyone ever had this problem before with USSG or any of the other imports or importers? Here is a pic. AND BTW, I understand I might be able to adjust the sights way the heck over or get RPK sights or whatever but all I want is a straight AK rifle. Which is what I paid for.

100_1934b.jpg

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got 3 saiga rifles, 2 SAR 2's, 1 norinco, a milled yugo M-70, a yugo M-92 and most of them are crooket or have a flaw in some way the only ones that are straight and perfect were built the the US from parts kits buy some skilled gunsmiths AK's are known for being slapped together that is part of there charm. The best I can say is enjoy the gun drift the front sight over to compansate and it will shoot straight hit the target and will never let you down and unless you point out the sights being drifted a little no one will know. Also if you did send it back odds are you would get a gun that something else wrong. So shoot it love it and one day it may save your life.

ALSO you would not need a new receiver a good gunsmith could remove the rivits elongate the holes and straighten everything out and rerivit it if is bothering you that much I do not think you will have that much luck with USSG. But good luck anyways.

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got 3 saiga rifles, 2 SAR 2's, 1 norinco, a milled yugo M-70, a yugo M-92 and most of them are crooket or have a flaw in some way the only ones that are straight and perfect were built the the US from parts kits buy some skilled gunsmiths AK's are known for being slapped together that is part of there charm. The best I can say is enjoy the gun drift the front sight over to compansate and it will shoot straight hit the target and will never let you down and unless you point out the sights being drifted a little no one will know. Also if you did send it back odds are you would get a gun that something else wrong. So shoot it love it and one day it may save your life.

ALSO you would not need a new receiver a good gunsmith could remove the rivits elongate the holes and straighten everything out and rerivit it if is bothering you that much I do not think you will have that much luck with USSG. But good luck anyways.

I don't see how elongation of the holes would do anything. The receiver's top lips are bent (the bends that the bolt carrier slides on) slides into the groove of the trunnion and from what it looks like, helps located the trunnion which then locates the rear sight block, correct? And if I do end up putting tech sights on it like I was pondering the idea of, The sight block will be in the way. I don't mind a flaw that doesn't effect operation, but If I go that route, I'm screwed. I don't understand whats so hard about building an AK. I mean, this isn't a century build for god sakes! I'll enjoy the gun when the sights are at least straight.

Edited by ozziemo27

The importer name really doesn't mean beans. They all come from the Izsmash factory in Russia.

The oblong of the stamped reciever should have no affect on the site. Every AK reviecer that is stamped is not truely square. Just the nature of bent metal.

Look at the side of the rear site. Are the pins on bith sides sitting the same in the sight mounting holes on both sides? It could be one side is not fully seated up into it's mounting holes.

Try to remove the rear sight, and re-install it.

To remove you use a screw driver by pushing the spring down. Push the sight down and cock it a little to remove. Reverse the order to put back on.

Good pics of the sight might help to diagnose the issue better if my suggestion does not work out.

The importer name really doesn't mean beans. They all come from the Izsmash factory in Russia.

The oblong of the stamped reciever should have no affect on the site. Every AK reviecer that is stamped is not truely square. Just the nature of bent metal.

Look at the side of the rear site. Are the pins on bith sides sitting the same in the sight mounting holes on both sides? It could be one side is not fully seated up into it's mounting holes.

To remove you use a screw driver by pushing the spring down. Push the sight down and cock it a little to remove. Reverse the order to put back on.

Good pics of the sight might help to diagnose the issue better if my suggestion does not work out.

I'm not sure if you read my first post but....I'm stating facts about my rifle and what is wrong with it, not asking for a diagnosis. The receiver bends have EVERYTHING to do with the trunnion placement and because the trunnion is angled, the rear sight block is angled, and due to the rear sight block being angled, the rear sight leaf is of course, angled. I was just asking if anyone else had a rifle with this issue and if anyone has ever dealt with EAA/USSG Inc. on this issue specifically. Thanks.

I'm not sure if you read my first post but....I'm stating facts about my rifle and what is wrong with it, not asking for a diagnosis. The receiver bends have EVERYTHING to do with the trunnion placement and because the trunnion is angled, the rear sight block is angled, and due to the rear sight block being angled, the rear sight leaf is of course, angled. I was just asking if anyone else had a rifle with this issue and if anyone has ever dealt with EAA/USSG Inc. on this issue specifically. Thanks.

to be honest, the rifle is not going to be a problem unless it cant be zeroed. and from the pics, the reciever doesnt look bent. it looks as if the trunion is sitting in the reciever crooked, or was milled crooked and now gives the appearence of a crooked reciever, but good luck with your quest.

ALL RIGHTY THEN.

Nope, never had the problem.

You did mention in the original post that there are no returns and USSG customer service sucks. . . Since you have no interest in trying to figure it out your self and don't want any help I'd say you are f0ckers.gif

• Like 1

ALL RIGHTY THEN.

Nope, never had the problem.

You did mention in the original post that there are no returns and USSG customer service sucks. . . Since you have no interest in trying to figure it out your self and don't want any help I'd say you are f0ckers.gif

USSG customer service does suck. USSG/EAA is the importer, not the dealer I purchased the rifle from, as mentioned in the first post. I bought the rifle from a dealer and their policy is a no return policy on firearms. USSG/EAA offers a one year from day of purchase manufacturer defect, workmanship, blah blah warranty and they will replace/repair the rifle if there is an issue. Its already boxed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow. If it isn't already painfully obvious, I have figured out the issue for MYSELF, and stated it in the first post. For this reason I never asked for ANY help regarding the rifle's issues but to simply ask if anyone had ever dealt with USSG before on a warranty and that if anyone else has experienced this specific problem on a rifle. I just don't see the logic in me spending my money on completely tearing the receiver apart and rebuilding the rifle when I could have it replaced. And that is what it would take because the receiver is crooked. If you can't understand that explanation, I really don't know what else there is to do. Unless you are trolling, then you totally win.

to be honest, the rifle is not going to be a problem unless it cant be zeroed. and from the pics, the reciever doesnt look bent. it looks as if the trunion is sitting in the reciever crooked, or was milled crooked and now gives the appearence of a crooked reciever, but good luck with your quest.

Thanks, I am not new to AKM type rifles so I know what they are supposed to look like, It is VERY crooked. It may not be as visible in the picture but when you actually pick it up, shoulder it, look at it in person, its pretty bad. Its not even worth the time cranking the front sight post all the way over to one side just to get it to work because I won't be happy with it in the end with a janky rifle. I'd like to get what I paid for and get a straight rifle.

Edited by ozziemo27
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome. Got it back today. 3 weeks from the day they received it. They sent me the same screwed up POS rifle back! THEY DIDN'T FIX A THING! On the "Repair Order" sheet they sent with it it says under Repair/Action Taken: "Checked out. Test Fired Ok, Meets Factory Specs." My god, how bad do these rifles have to be to not meet factory specs, the sight block being 90 degrees off???! I'm furious. What kind of company (importer or not) won't own up to their mistakes. I can understand that they get a lemon in once and a while and yea, they probably aren't going to pay somebody to look at each one to make sure its alright but man, what kind of company won't make it right. What kind of service/gunsmith guy can't look at the rifle, shoulder it and not realize that the rear sight block is canted to the right? I'm not a gunsmith, I'm a welder, and I can tell its off by a bit very easily. I can always take more pictures to show you guys but man, its VERY noticeable in person. I'm not some crazy OCD, has to be perfect, irrational person. Frankly, being an AK-pattern rifle, I don't need it to be perfect but man, this is ridiculous, my last WASR was better than this and it had a front canted sight which I could actually repair myself. Theres no fixing this receiver. I plan to call Monday and make something happen because this is insane. I can't even put a tech sight on or I will be staring at part of the rear sight base ear (for rear sight leaf) or a TSA Rail which connects to the rear sight block because it will come down crooked. Sure, I might be able to sight it in with factory sights but why can't I have a rifle that will accept the mods that I want to do to it. Thats not right. Some people have said sell it, cut your losses but I don't think I'll get near what I paid due to the problem it has with it and I'm certainly not going to sell it without mentioning it.

Sorry for the rant but I needed to vent somewhere and let these happenings be known. Hopefully I can speak to a manager or something. I'd be happy to post more pics if anybody is interested. I will update as things happen. All I want is a straight Saiga .223 rifle. Hopefully that is not too much to ask.