Saiga Underfolder Conversion

Hello:

First post, but almost certainly not my last.

The Vz.58 I built needs a Comrade, so I'm thinking of converting a Saiga, but I want an underfolder.

http://centerfiresys.../STKAKA-UF.aspx

How difficult would it be to fit the set of underfolder parts shown above to a Saiga 7.62 or 5.45?

Am I correct that the trunnion is shown as being included?

If so, is it just a matter of drilling holes and riveting in the trunnion (as well as removing anything that is in the way)?

What other considerations am I overlooking?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited by undertoad

It wouldn't be that hard. You would have to remove the trunion and weld the holes, which you would do with the trigger holes anyway I would hope.

Going underfloder the scope rail is a gone item, more than likely.

The templates you can search the web there around, but the fact of printing them might be off. Still not that big of a problem.

I used the old stub of the reciever as a template, but with that kit it's not an option. because it's not included.

So, if I was going to take on this project, I'd make my own template.

Its easy to make your own template. Just take a piece of masking tape and stick it onto the side of the rear trunion, covering the entire trunion. Use an exacto knife to trim away the extra tape overlapping the edges. Then take a pencil and gently rub it onto the tape. The color will rub onto the tape except where the holes are, which will be a colorless outline of the holes. Carefully peel off the tape from the trunion, and stick it to the reciever. Left trunion trace to left side of receiver, right to right. Now you have an instant bonded template that perfectly matches the trunion.

Don't forget the rivets and a 24" rivet tool. The 18" model wont reach dont to the lower foward rivet. :) Been there, done that.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be that hard. You would have to remove the trunion and weld the holes, which you would do with the trigger holes anyway I would hope.

Going underfloder the scope rail is a gone item, more than likely.

The templates you can search the web there around, but the fact of printing them might be off. Still not that big of a problem.

I used the old stub of the reciever as a template, but with that kit it's not an option. because it's not included.

So, if I was going to take on this project, I'd make my own template.

Its easy to make your own template. Just take a piece of masking tape and stick it onto the side of the rear trunion, covering the entire trunion. Use an exacto knife to trim away the extra tape overlapping the edges. Then take a pencil and gently rub it onto the tape. The color will rub onto the tape except where the holes are, which will be a colorless outline of the holes. Carefully peel off the tape from the trunion, and stick it to the reciever. Left trunion trace to left side of receiver, right to right. Now you have an instant bonded template that perfectly matches the trunion.

Don't forget the rivets and a 24" rivet tool. The 18" model wont reach dont to the lower foward rivet. smile.png Been there, done that.

That's very helpful. Yes, I would weld up the holes. I work with aircraft mechanics all day, so they have every riveting tool known to man.

did it to my s20. the hardest part was growing a set large enough to actually cut the receiver.

http://forum.saiga-1...20-underfolder/

Thanks. By "cut," do you mean just installing the trunnion and cutting the holes for the folder, or must the receiver be cut shorter, or something else?

I'm really starting from zero knowledge, so please pardon my ignorance.

When I did the wife's S-.410 I used the old receiver as a template.

`

When I did the wife's S-.410 I used the old receiver as a template.

Edited by G O B
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all, I am new to the form and saiga's too for that matter and I have a couple questions. 1) what tools will I need to do the whole job and 2) are the two big holes and the little ones you rivet all you cut? I have seen some stuff online about moving the trigger group, and welding up some holes?? This seemed like the best forum to join out of all the ones I've looked at to find out what i need to know. Probably dumb questions, Im clueless on the topic but confident I can do it. My saiga is the 12ga version if that matters? Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

Hi all, I am new to the form and saiga's too for that matter and I have a couple questions. 1) what tools will I need to do the whole job and 2) are the two big holes and the little ones you rivet all you cut? I have seen some stuff online about moving the trigger group, and welding up some holes?? This seemed like the best forum to join out of all the ones I've looked at to find out what i need to know. Probably dumb questions, Im clueless on the topic but confident I can do it. My saiga is the 12ga version if that matters? Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

In each side, you need to cut one big hole and two little holes.

More info and pix here:

http://forum.saiga-1...rfolder-so-far/

I used regular drill bits for the small holes and a step bit for the large holes.

Edited by undertoad